Driver side door?

stink219

Do you keep it open during hot days? I have this big fear of being t-boned (not my fault obviously) and being paralyzed because there's no metal between me and another car.
It's impossible to get T boned. Or for any accident. We have the 5 seeing habits and 10 point commentary. That will keep you safe forever.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The door itself is not a structurally rigid part of the vehicle. If you get T-boned the car that hits you will impact into the frame, which runs beneath the door. Whether not the door is shut will probably be irrelevant since it is little more than a thin sheet of aluminum. Your survival will have a lot more to do with whether or not the package car you are driving is equipped with a 3 point seat belt that prevents your head from being whiplashed through the windshield or side window.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
The real question is if we aren't supposed to enter or exit the driver side door, why is there a hand grip installed on the frame?

Funny thing is I was trained initially the same thing but today the same sup was driving a little while showing me a new route and he was in and out the driver side like crazy. Another sup was teaching me a route last week and was cabbing packages left and right. Funny how the rules only apply when they're gunning for you or you're brand new.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
The door itself is not a structurally rigid part of the vehicle. If you get T-boned the car that hits you will impact into the frame, which runs beneath the door. Whether not the door is shut will probably be irrelevant since it is little more than a thin sheet of aluminum. Your survival will have a lot more to do with whether or not the package car you are driving is equipped with a 3 point seat belt that prevents your head from being whiplashed through the windshield or side window.
I was thinking the same when driving a 27 year old p1000 the other day with only the lap belts. Side impact would suck hard.

QKRSTKR

I one time was getting on the interstate to head back to the center. Once I got on a dump truck heading the opposite direction had a blowout. And I mean boom! Piece of tire hit the windshield right where the two pieces of glass meet. Hit hard, no damage. But I thought if I'd been a split second earlier, that tire piece could have come right in the driver side and do some serious damage. I was lucky.

BrownArmy

I believe opening the drivers door at fedex is a big nono and can get them fired if someone sees them...im talking about the express guys

But leaving the bulkhead door open (express guy), with the truck running, at an office complex is a yes-yes?

Homeland-Security isn't pleased, but Fred-Ex don't care, dog!