Driver Survey Total Service Plan

ThePackageDeli

Thanks to the union, I now wear golden handcuffs. I'm stuck doing monkey work because the pay is unrealistically high compared to other jobs in the same industry. They should have never made this a high paying job. They should have sold it as an entry level unskilled uneducated job option. If I wanted $100k/yr, I should have went to school. Now, if I ever want to leave I'll never find a job making as much $ and I'll effectively have zero skills to offer the job market...
Interviewer: "Tell me sir, why do you think you'd be a good fit for this position?"
Me: "Uh, um.. I pick up box and set down box really good for many years."

Haha

Wilson1397

Half the lies they tell about me aren't true!!
Thanks to the union, I now wear golden handcuffs. I'm stuck doing monkey work because the pay is unrealistically high compared to other jobs in the same industry. They should have never made this a high paying job. They should have sold it as an entry level unskilled uneducated job option. If I wanted $100k/yr, I should have went to school. Now, if I ever want to leave I'll never find a job making as much $ and I'll effectively have zero skills to offer the job market...
Interviewer: "Tell me sir, why do you think you'd be a good fit for this position?"

Haha
Let me get this straight………You’d rather make less money so you can quit??……smh

Red Devil

The Power of Connected

Haha

This “problem” you find yourself in is 100% your own making

Thebrownblob

Haha
Every day I get on brown café and think I’ve seen the dumbest post ever, and here we are we have a new dumbest post ever. And they’re not golden handcuffs, they’re furry handcuffs so get it right.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
This job if anything is great for saving enough money to make a midlife career change. Go back to college without sweating over debt.

15 years is enough to make a million.

AKCoverMan

That's not what I'm talking about -- on the subject the practice here is you must work 7.5 hrs paid to keep your guarantee. They don't want to hand out more than 30 'freebie' minutes of pay. If you get a light dispatch and can't make it last they require you to ask for extra work.
Ok that sucks.. is that in your supplement? If I’m done at six hours (rare but it has happened) I certainly am not going to beg them to redispatch me. Someone is sitting in the office seeing that I am done. Heck they should have known before I even started the day that I was light... plus out of long habit from pre EDD, DIAD 3 rookie days I still send a message from last stop advising “finished work eta Outback Center xxxx”. Not required anymore but I’ve always done it. If I get back to building and punch out thats 8 hours.

AKCoverMan

It's funny to watch in our building (125) routes T-S how 15-20 drivers race through their day in order to punch out prior to 5 and we have another 15-20 drivers filing 9.5s weekly. When I ask why the dispatch can't be evened out to reduce the excess overtime, I'm told the grievance money comes out of a different pocket. Each management segment seems to care only about their numbers and not the over all company or heaven for bid the labor agreement.
Yes. This is what drives be nuts.. like back at the hub where we have a preload.. I remember trying to tell a preload Supe how they destroy drivers day if they load like crap and his reply was it didn’t matter because driver OT didn’t effect ”his“ numbers it was somebody else’s problem so as far as he was concerned just get the packages somewhere anywhere inside the right truck. After that it was my problem… 🤣🤣🤣

Also.. so much is reactive instead of proactive.. seen too many days where several drivers go home under eight then suddenly they figure out at 8pm that one or two routes arent gonna finish someone finishing just under 9.5 gets sent to help while others are home on 2nd beer.

AKCoverMan

I'm stuck doing monkey work because the pay is unrealistically high
First and foremost..your not stuck. I’m sure someone in line behind you will take your job In be happy to have it.

But take a look at our company‘s income statement. UPS brings in billions and billions of dollars in revenue and even after paying our industry leading wages and benefits…paying pilots and paying off management (gotta have em or nothing happens) and everything else we still pull down fat fat profits. All delivered by the employees of UPS.

I work hard and take pride in taking care of my customers... I feel I earn my $100k a year. I disagree that the pay is “unreasonably high”.

Whither

Scofflaw
Ok that sucks.. is that in your supplement? If I’m done at six hours (rare but it has happened) I certainly am not going to beg them to redispatch me. Someone is sitting in the office seeing that I am done. Heck they should have known before I even started the day that I was light... plus out of long habit from pre EDD, DIAD 3 rookie days I still send a message from last stop advising “finished work eta Outback Center xxxx”. Not required anymore but I’ve always done it. If I get back to building and punch out thats 8 hours.
One of my stews burned through his resi route on a rare light day during that first Covid summer. Barely had 6 hrs on the clock, punched out with code 06 (now they've disabled the option to switch pay codes in our boards -- guess they have to edit air drivers' timecards? -- and of course from time to time you still have to hold them honest to the guarantee). Mgmt doctored his timecard; he went into the office the next morning and settled it, got his guarantee. But from then on the "agreement" has been at least 7.5 hrs on the clock to keep your guarantee. I'm not sure if the local has officially blessed it or not, and of course it is rare that you'd be able to skate much sooner than 7.5 hrs anyway, so it's one of those minor issues that slips through the cracks. I'll try and remember to ask a stew or the BA soon.

There's no language that I know of in the Central that directly addresses the issue. I have, however, sat idle for 15 or more min a few times waiting for responses to my "Finished work" message. And the responses never came, so I messaged again "No response for 15 min so I'm bringing it in" and got punched out close to 7.5 hrs on the nose. Got my messages printed out just in case. Each time I've kept my guarantee uncontested.