Driver Survey Total Service Plan

No1 Special

Long time listener, first time caller.
Guys with school aged kids get first dibs on spring break week vacation. Shame on all you old farts that take that week off even though your kids are adults, or dont have any kids at all.
I don't get the spring break thing, fight traffic, crowds, and pay higher hotel rates, just to enjoy warmer weather 3 weeks early. I wished they would get rid of spring break and end school by Memorial Day.

ThePackageDeli

I disagree. If you want to create a less physically taxing job for everyone, more opportunities for PT workers and have more time off then you create more FT jobs.

With more FT jobs, people making less and want the opportunity to go FT won’t have to wait as long. With more FT jobs, more routes are in and less work on everyone. With more FT jobs you may have the choice, if you want, to take a dead day if you are so inclined.

Allowing more PT jobs or PVD’s are not an answer that would benefit the union employees, it would only benefit the company.
I agree with you. And in a perfect world, creating more full-time jobs is the answer. But we're dealing with a company that apparently doesn't want to create more full-time jobs. So then, what reasonable economical solutions can be implemented that address the issues at hand, and have a greater likelihood of company adoption?
We have an over-worked workforce. That's a real issue in my opinion. No job should cause so many employees to have injuries and surgeries... And "That's just the nature of the job.", or "You know what you signed up for. If you don't like it, quit!" should no longer be considered acceptable mentalities in my opinion. We can do better.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I agree with you. And in a perfect world, creating more full-time jobs is the answer.

That is the only answer.

Do you even remember why we went on strike in 1997 ?

You probably weren't there.

So then, what reasonable economical solutions can be implemented that address the issues at hand, and have a greater likelihood of company adoption?

You aren't one of those people that think the company pays the wages and benefits.... because they want to ?

We have an over-worked workforce. That's a real issue in my opinion. No job should cause so many employees to have injuries and surgeries... And "That's just the nature of the job.", or "You know what you signed up for. If you don't like it, quit!" should no longer be considered acceptable mentalities in my opinion.

That sounds like something a "short time" pkg driver would say.... when they want to go back to PT.

We can do better.

That's the main focus of the new administration.

-Bug-

Johney

That is the only answer.

Do you even remember why we went on strike in 1997 ?

You probably weren't there.

-Bug-
Please don't tell me you bought into the 97 strike as "We want more fulltime jobs crap"? That strike was about UPS wanting to take over the pension fund and the Teamsters not wanting to give up that money. More fulltime jobs created by that contract? 22.3's? Lol! Every one of those jobs created in my old building went to a full-timer and still does to this day. And no not one single fulltimer that took those 22.3 jobs was replaced.

JustDeliverIt

I agree with you. And in a perfect world, creating more full-time jobs is the answer. But we're dealing with a company that apparently doesn't want to create more full-time jobs. So then, what reasonable economical solutions can be implemented that address the issues at hand, and have a greater likelihood of company adoption?
We have an over-worked workforce. That's a real issue in my opinion. No job should cause so many employees to have injuries and surgeries... And "That's just the nature of the job.", or "You know what you signed up for. If you don't like it, quit!" should no longer be considered acceptable mentalities in my opinion. We can do better.

The company can want whatever it wants. It’s the union’s job to fight for those jobs and do what’s best for it’s members. But let’s be honest, the union is going to have a hard time when you have drivers willing to take dead days regularly, PTers who are willing to leave after 2 hours and more. The members standing up for their rights would go a long way in making everyone’s job easier. But that is impossible to do.

Please don't tell me you bought into the 97 strike as "We want more fulltime jobs crap"? That strike was about UPS wanting to take over the pension fund and the Teamsters not wanting to give up that money. More fulltime jobs created by that contract? 22.3's? Lol! Every one of those jobs created in my old building went to a full-timer and still does to this day. And no not one single fulltimer that took those 22.3 jobs was replaced.
The driver jobs that were opened up were filled by PT sups and off the street hires under the 3 to 1 ratio.

Gabba

It's a vicious cycle
Look what she did with the appearance guidelines almost immediately after assuming the role
do you really not realize that that move takes bargaining power away from the cohort of grunts that can meet those standards by widening the pool of hirable workers? she did something to make you more replaceable and you applaud her for it. She didn't do that to be nice or because she likes us, she did it to hamstring our ability to strike so that we're more likely to agree to concessions on contract issues. who needs union busting when the union members will do it to themselves?

rustys954rr

Probably the best supervisor job in the company though. I can't imagine corporate coming up with some ridiculous metrics for car wash that they would have to enforce.