Drivers: how to write up a truck properly

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
Peak is here and I know we got a lot of new and temp drivers, even some experienced drivers do not write up the dvir properly and this causes a lot of wasted time, time we don’t have during peak.

Describe the problem in as much detail as possible. NOT WHAT YOU THINK IT NEEDS.

Here are a few common real ones I got and why it’s a bad write up

1. Needs brake booster

Ok.... what was it doing that led you as the driver to think it needed that? I get in it and the brakes feel fine and I notice the abs light is on.. so now I have no idea if this guy had a intermittent hard pedal or he thinks it needs a booster because the abs light is on.

2. No heat

The proper way to write this depends on what it is doing.. is the air coming out cold. Then write heater blowing cold air.. is the blower not working at times write blower inop at times.

3. Needs starter.

Ok? WHY does it need one? I go out the truck and it starts fine. long crank, no crank, noise on cranking, some times does not crank.. I don’t have time to replace starters that are working fine when I look at the truck and now you put me in a bad spot of wasting my time replacing a month old starter to cover my ass or taking a chance and letting it roll.

Just write what it is doing. Sometimes has a slow crank... sometimes only clicks and does not crank etc.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Peak is here and I know we got a lot of new and temp drivers, even some experienced drivers do not write up the dvir properly and this causes a lot of wasted time, time we don’t have during peak.

Describe the problem in as much detail as possible. NOT WHAT YOU THINK IT NEEDS.

1. Needs brake booster

Ok.... what was it doing that led you as the driver to think it needed that? I get in it and the brakes feel fine and I notice the abs light is on.. so now I have no idea if this guy had a intermittent hard pedal or he thinks it needs a booster because the abs light is on.

2. No heat

The proper way to write this depends on what it is doing.. is the air coming out cold. Then write heater blowing cold air.. is the blower not working at times write blower inop at times.

3. Needs starter.

Ok? WHY does it need one? I go out the truck and it starts fine. long crank, no crank, noise on cranking, some times does not crank.. I do t have time to replace starters that are working fine when I look at the truck and now you put me in a bad spot of wasting my time replacing a month old starter to cover my ass or taking a chance and letting it roll.

Just write what it is doing. Sometimes has a slow crank... sometimes only clicks and does not crank etc.
I know things are different everywhere. But every single mechanic in my building is such a dooshh canoe, that I couldn’t comprehend the idea of helping them do their job. Sorry, I tired for a long time to be nice to these absolute licks of penis. No more.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
I know things are different everywhere. But every single mechanic in my building is such a dooshh canoe, that I couldn’t comprehend the idea of helping them do their job. Sorry, I tired for a long time to be nice to these absolute licks of penis. No more.

We had that issue in my building too for a long time but most of those guys retired now

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Can you start a thread on how to write up office chairs and staplers? PE says that’s not their specialty and Automotive won’t fix it unless it has some kind of motor. Thanks

clean hairy

Instead of "needs starter"
Would "3 or 4 times a day, when trying to start nothing happens, but eventually it starts"
So, how would the above help you diagnose the problem when it starts just fine for every time and you cannot duplicate the problem?

Is this post from a driver or mechanic ? Lol. Some drivers have no clue how to work on a car nor describe what’s wrong with it.
Some of us can. Because we work in our own stuff.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Would "3 or 4 times a day, when trying to start nothing happens, but eventually it starts"
So, how would the above help you diagnose the problem when it starts just fine for every time and you cannot duplicate the problem?
I can tell you the reply to that

Ok to run

Star B

White Lightening
"Starter spins and does not engage engine" aka might need shims. "Turn key, nothing happens" - possibly new starter, ignition solenoid, keyswitch...

And to answer your question.... it would help because it may be a loose connection somewhere. It might be a weak battery. It also starts a history on the problem.

I mean, once I had a battery that would not work if it was tipped left corner down. Any other way worked great, but left corner down and it was dead. Try figuring that one out without any history or backstory.

Last edited:

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.

1. Needs brake booster

2. No heat

3. Needs starter.

Ok? WHY does it need one? I go out the truck and it starts fine. long crank, no crank, noise on cranking, some times does not crank.. I don’t have time to replace starters that are working fine when I look at the truck and now you put me in a bad spot of wasting my time replacing a month old starter to cover my ass or taking a chance and letting it roll.

I just put “Trucks broken”

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
How about someone start a thread on how the hell you write up a handcart?

I’d love to find someone who can spend 5 minutes and tighten two 14mm bolts on the extension arm, yet we wait till the :censored2:ing thing looks like a coat hanger used to jimmy someone’s car.

Eventually it ends up in a red tagged car because someone stole another driver’s handcart that was semi operational, not realizing they should have pad locked it to a pole in the building because we seem to :censored2: on each other nowadays.

Once discovered, the handcart that now resembles a broken antenna off a transistor radio, is banished from the building, as it’s burred up handle has scarred too many hands to be touched, goes to die in the mechanics salvage dumpster.

All because we cant tighten two bolts.

bumped

Needs brake booster means the annoying booster horn is blowing so damn loud all day long.

No heat means when I turn the knob to full no heat comes out or it makes a very loud grinding noise all day long.

I don't use needs starter until a mechanic comes out to me on the road because the package car wont start.

Bulkhead door wont open means when I click the button the latch doesn't release enough to actually open the door.

Check engine light on means the idiot light on the dashboard of the picture of an engine is illuminated.

ABS light on means the idiot light on the dashboard illuminating the letters ABS.

Check oil means my package car leaks oil at every stop and after a few days I want my oil level checked and filled, so the package cars runs until my day is over.

Fill windshield washer fluid means my windows never get cleaned, so I need to use most of the fluid in the reservoir.

Horn doesn't work means when I press the middle of the steering wheel no sounds are made.