Drivers: how to write up a truck properly

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
Just had my truck breakdown in the middle of the day, next day comes truck is in the line up. So I start my day with the truck breaking down as I leave the building. I call automotive and say truck number is broken down with oil leaking out the front. Best part, mechanic goes we fixed that yesterday. My response, not good enough or it would still be moving dont you think. I told them when I got back I'm going to need a locker if this keeps up.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Peak is here and I know we got a lot of new and temp drivers, even some experienced drivers do not write up the dvir properly and this causes a lot of wasted time, time we don’t have during peak.

Describe the problem in as much detail as possible. NOT WHAT YOU THINK IT NEEDS.

Here are a few common real ones I got and why it’s a bad write up

1. Needs brake booster

Ok.... what was it doing that led you as the driver to think it needed that? I get in it and the brakes feel fine and I notice the abs light is on.. so now I have no idea if this guy had a intermittent hard pedal or he thinks it needs a booster because the abs light is on.

2. No heat

The proper way to write this depends on what it is doing.. is the air coming out cold. Then write heater blowing cold air.. is the blower not working at times write blower inop at times.

3. Needs starter.

Ok? WHY does it need one? I go out the truck and it starts fine. long crank, no crank, noise on cranking, some times does not crank.. I don’t have time to replace starters that are working fine when I look at the truck and now you put me in a bad spot of wasting my time replacing a month old starter to cover my ass or taking a chance and letting it roll.

Just write what it is doing. Sometimes has a slow crank... sometimes only clicks and does not crank etc.

Sure are picky, aren't you?

Mechanic86

Turd Polishing Expert
K.I.S.S. Keep it simple stupid. Just describe as best you can what is happening that should not or does not normally happen. With a correct description of the issue I can read your write up at my toolbox and take the correct tools/parts with me to fix the vehicle properly with out running back and forth to grab stuff..... I'm still around, going on 5 years next year... to the guy that has a bldg full of :censored2:bag mechs, just keep writing things up repeatedly, they can only bs their way out so many times before they gotta fix it.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
Instead of "needs starter"
Would "3 or 4 times a day, when trying to start nothing happens, but eventually it starts"
So, how would the above help you diagnose the problem when it starts just fine for every time and you cannot duplicate the problem?

Yes, 3-4 times a day when trying to start nothing happens helps me a lot more than needs starter. That helps because nothing happens narrows it down quite a bit for me. I have had drivers think a truck needed a starter when it needed a fuel pump relay The thing cranked and did not start and to him he thought that meant the starter is bad.

Mechanics don’t trust each other’s diags unless we know that tech and his capabilities so why would we trust a drivers that I know to diag the truck?

K.I.S.S. Keep it simple stupid. Just describe as best you can what is happening that should not or does not normally happen. With a correct description of the issue I can read your write up at my toolbox and take the correct tools/parts with me to fix the vehicle properly with out running back and forth to grab stuff..... I'm still around, going on 5 years next year... to the guy that has a bldg full of :censored2:bag mechs, just keep writing things up repeatedly, they can only bs their way out so many times before they gotta fix it.

This right here... saves our time and gets your truck fixed

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I know things are different everywhere. But every single mechanic in my building is such a dooshh canoe, that I couldn’t comprehend the idea of helping them do their job. Sorry, I tired for a long time to be nice to these absolute licks of penis. No more.
Power shop mechanics in a feeder operation are the worst... especially some of the younger guys.... total d- bags...

Future

Victory Ride
Peak is here and I know we got a lot of new and temp drivers, even some experienced drivers do not write up the dvir properly and this causes a lot of wasted time, time we don’t have during peak.

Describe the problem in as much detail as possible. NOT WHAT YOU THINK IT NEEDS.

Here are a few common real ones I got and why it’s a bad write up

1. Needs brake booster

Ok.... what was it doing that led you as the driver to think it needed that? I get in it and the brakes feel fine and I notice the abs light is on.. so now I have no idea if this guy had a intermittent hard pedal or he thinks it needs a booster because the abs light is on.

2. No heat

The proper way to write this depends on what it is doing.. is the air coming out cold. Then write heater blowing cold air.. is the blower not working at times write blower inop at times.

3. Needs starter.

Ok? WHY does it need one? I go out the truck and it starts fine. long crank, no crank, noise on cranking, some times does not crank.. I don’t have time to replace starters that are working fine when I look at the truck and now you put me in a bad spot of wasting my time replacing a month old starter to cover my ass or taking a chance and letting it roll.

Just write what it is doing. Sometimes has a slow crank... sometimes only clicks and does not crank etc.
I usually go down 2 the shop and tell them directly w the write up

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Needs brake booster means the annoying booster horn is blowing so damn loud all day long.

No heat means when I turn the knob to full no heat comes out or it makes a very loud grinding noise all day long.

I don't use needs starter until a mechanic comes out to me on the road because the package car wont start.

Bulkhead door wont open means when I click the button the latch doesn't release enough to actually open the door.

Check engine light on means the idiot light on the dashboard of the picture of an engine is illuminated.

ABS light on means the idiot light on the dashboard illuminating the letters ABS.

Check oil means my package car leaks oil at every stop and after a few days I want my oil level checked and filled, so the package cars runs until my day is over.

Fill windshield washer fluid means my windows never get cleaned, so I need to use most of the fluid in the reservoir.

Horn doesn't work means when I press the middle of the steering wheel no sounds are made.
My flippin horn got stuck the other day. Pull up to someone's house. Tap the horn. It blows full blast for 30 seconds before I got the cover ripped off.

oldngray

nowhere special
My flippin horn got stuck the other day. Pull up to someone's house. Tap the horn. It blows full blast for 30 seconds before I got the cover ripped off.
I had a truck that had that happen all the time. The turn signal return spring would come loose and short out the contact. Once I knew what was going on I could fix it in seconds.

Definitely a design flaw though.

KOG72

I’m full of it
I know things are different everywhere. But every single mechanic in my building is such a dooshh canoe, that I couldn’t comprehend the idea of helping them do their job. Sorry, I tired for a long time to be nice to these absolute licks of penis. No more.
My mechanic is pretty cool unless it’s something very drastic he has my truck back in the line up the next day.

KOG72

I’m full of it
I’m betting it didn’t get stuck,you’re just one of those drivers that want the customer to come to the truck,it must’ve been raining that day,lol.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I’m betting it didn’t get stuck,you’re just one of those drivers that want the customer to come to the truck,it must’ve been raining that day,lol.
They had a dog so yeah I wasn't getting out but I also didn't want it to blare for that long. 7 trucks in the drive still no one came out. So I bagged it and tossed it out the door

ManInBrown

Ding Ding Ding we have a winner. Never seen a bigger collection of miserable A holes. Imagine having to actually do your job. What a novel idea.

oldngray

nowhere special
Ding Ding Ding we have a winner. Never seen a bigger collection of miserable A holes. Imagine having to actually do your job. What a novel idea.
Mechanics used to be really good. Now besides there not being enough of them too many are barely qualified.

I thought telematics was supposed to diagnose everything. All I do now is turn in the DVIR with only the car number on it.