Drivers - How well do you know your preloader?

BrownDooDoo

I walked out from the back today to refill my water bottle and there was a loader in front of me at the fountain. He wasn't even sweating. That bastard

(jokes)

Bizzob232

2nd generation UPSer
Since I work in a small building I know almost all the loaders and the guys on local sort that unload. Then again preload is only 20 or so and local sort is <15. I generally don't learn new hires names, they rarely last. Stay about 6 months and I learn the name and give them tips to load better. Such as like stops together and for the love of god! Please don't hide a 1000 irreg behind the stuff on FL3!!!!!!!

Buck Fifty

I know all our loaders very well. Being a steward, its part of the job to get to know everybody. My loader does a great job, and wben he has a bad day, I take care of him. I respect any and all who do that job. Its the hardest one at UPS these days.

Jigawatts

If they park my car in the regular spot, Chris loads it. He tries to do a good job, but its impossible for him to load four cars with no missloads. Lately they have been putting it all around the building in different spots. They also removed my route number off the PAL and replaced it with the first four letters of my last name in an attempt to cut down on miss pieces. That doesn't work too well, my missed pieces are now too far away to deliver now.

Back in the good ole days (about 5 years ago) the average loader would have 3-4 trucks that delivered to the same general area. If there was a mis-load, other than NDA, it wasn't a big deal. The driver just delivered it or met the other driver somewhere and handed it off.

Technology now favors common sense, and the loader has 4 trucks spread out from here to the moon.

And here's another lesson in efficiency. HAVE THE SAME LOADERS LOAD THE SAME TRUCKS EVERYDAY! Sorry for shouting, but it's really not as complicated as they make it.

Tough Guy

The regrettable truth is that when you hire new hires at 8.50 an hour, don't require drug testing, or any interview of any sort, you're going to, generally, attract a certain character of person. And in addition to that, there is virtually no training other than "this the number, this the truck, this is the shelf. Good luck". So you mix those two factors and you've got some crappy loads waiting for you.

Personally, I'm one of the "good ones". My first year I loaded almost every trip in the center, and most in the building. But I made a really good impression on my sups, and the drivers, and earned myself a permanent spot. (2 years in now) Now I split and do just 1 car. That one car is a bear though. typically has 400 - 500 pieces, and maybe 1 or 2 days of the week 500 - 600. But I introduced myself to the driver the first day I did his trip, explained what was where, and if there was anything special he'd like for particular addresses. The truck still is blown out everyday, but he said I save him at least an hour from what it was before. (they went through 3 or 4 guys regularly before he complained about crap loads, and they put me there as the solution).

The guys I loaded regularly before him (when they weren't cut) were singing the blues when they took me off their trucks. Now they get the guy who I replaced at the top. LOL

But, my point is, unfortunately most guys just don't give a damn, or aren't trained to perform to satisfactory standards.

Random_Facts

Got back from vacation about a week ago, and they switched me to a different line (back of the belt). 4 trucks and the post office. Makes you almost want to scream. Driver knows me pretty well, always asks "Damn 1700 pieces a day plus post office, it amazes me you come back to work daily". They fiddle with the "302 truck" daily, each day seems to be a different city. Get to learn new drivers that way I guess. lol.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Its the hardest one at UPS these days.

Before I was a driver, I was a preloader. I never did anything else for this company but I think it has always been the hardest job. And it was way harder before PAS. From easiest to hardest I would rank the inside positions as unloader (mind numbing), loader (paid tetris), metal man, sorter then preloader. But then again, that's why preload and sorters get paid more.

Scratchy

I'd like you all to meet Robbie. Robbie is MY preloader. He's just absolutely delicious! He knows how to handle all the BIG packages like a real professional! We have been able to develop a very... "intimate" relationship over the years. It's led to an absolutely declicious new path in life, that I will never regret following.

Robbie likes long walks on the beach, in a tight speedo. He's a Sagitarius, and he won't take NO for an answer! He's 6' tall, has beautiful dark brown hair under that knit cap, and boy, can you say COWBOY?!

His other interests are baby oil, candle lit dinner, and whipped cream! What a man!

View attachment 9529

I've revisited this post a few times for a laugh. Brilliant.