Drivers: Walk Path ???????

parttimefab

What is the designated walk path from the package car to the front door and back at a residential delivery?

I have been told 2 different stories: 1.On the designated walk paths (sidewalks, driveways). 2.The straightest possible path (through the yard). 340 Methods does not say.

I want to know the CORRECT answer. If you can post up some proof of your answer.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
well, if you walk through the yard and break your ankle in a hole your sups going to have a fit and ask you why the hell you went through the yard. Use the straightest path using sidewalks and driveways. You shouldnt walk on folks grass some have an issue with it.

I agree with coldworld. It is the safest way to get to point B. If you are getting ridden for 3 days you should definitely walk on sidewalks and driveways, no grass. And walk at your pace not your sups.

parttimefab

I'm sure you are both right and I agree. Have you seen this information printed anywhere? Me arguing with a supervisor proves nothing, other than I like to waste my breath.

SWORDFISH

The method is to walk on sidewalks, driveways, etc. to your delivery point. Do not walk the most direct. Its pretty self explanitory. For instance a cross walk is a designated walk path but bed of flowers is not.

SmithBarney

another reason to use paths... doggy bombs... there is a reason Mr Jones lawn is lush and green.. fido fertilizes it every day.

Nimnim

The Nim
Think of it this way, how hard would it prove to be to drag your hand cart through the grass with a couple heavy packages on it? I know I'd rather use a smooth concrete, or similar, path for that.

Nimnim

The Nim
Well, duh. We weren't talking hand cart here.

Well obviously, but considering just about everything else of relavance was said, I figured I'd add a different spin to it.

It's not like I suggested scaling the outside wall to deliver to a second floor window or anything.

parttimefab

I was taught to use the most direct path Point A to Point B. I was also taught to scan my path ahead.

I understand you were taught this way. Any proof to back up that it is the correct way?

340 Methods only states to "scan walk path for obstructions". This could be on sidewalks, driveways or the yard.

I'm not trying to be argumenative, just want to know the CORRECT answer.

talkwith

I just finished an S&V ride with my supervisor. He was fresh from training classes where they told him to instruct all drivers to use the most direct path available (grass or not) and to exit and enter on the driver's side when it was faster. When I told him that this was contrary to my driver training he said that they had recently changed those methods.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I agree with coldworld. It is the safest way to get to point B. If you are getting ridden for 3 days you should definitely walk on sidewalks and driveways, no grass. And walk at your pace not your sups.
+1

I was taught to use the most direct path Point A to Point B. I was also taught to scan my path ahead.
Point!
If there was a pond in that direct path, would you wade thru it?
Counter Point!
Well obviously, but considering just about everything else of relavance was said, I figured I'd add a different spin to it.

It's not like I suggested scaling the outside wall to deliver to a second floor window or anything.
Now you've gone and done it.

I understand you were taught this way. Any proof to back up that it is the correct way?

340 Methods only states to "scan walk path for obstructions". This could be on sidewalks, driveways or the yard.

I'm not trying to be argumenative, just want to know the CORRECT answer.
It's not in there on purpose. They want this area to be vague, so when you twist, slip, break, fall or all of these, you won't have a (pardon the pun), leg to stand on.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
One of my first days on the car I was yelled at by a women for cutting accross the lawn, while I was walking with the supe. I've been taking the sidewalk ever since.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I work out of the right door of my package car most of the time. I'm not going to wrestle a package over the steering wheel and step out into traffic where I can't see clearly whats coming down the road. Its best to park at the end of the driveway and walk up it and take the sidewalk. There are a few stops where it is faster to take the yard.