Drivers: Walk Path ???????

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager
What is the designated walk path from the package car to the front door and back at a residential delivery?

I have been told 2 different stories: 1.On the designated walk paths (sidewalks, driveways). 2.The straightest possible path (through the yard). 340 Methods does not say.

I want to know the CORRECT answer. If you can post up some proof of your answer.

I train to use designated walk paths (sidewalks, driveways, etc). The new time study allowances are developed by measuring the distance from the center of the street to the front door (either by satellite image or laser) and then adding some distance to account for the additional walk necessary to follow walkways, DR to the side door, back door, etc.

SWORDFISH

That's only half true, UG72. The grassy area may look inviting, but you never know what lies beneath. There could be dips, soft areas, twigs, rocks and maybe even a garden hose that you don't see. The man made walkway is by far, the safest and most customer friendly path.

+1.... Years ago I was walking across a lawn on the way back to the truck and stepped in a deep hole that was not visible at all due to high grass around it. It was at the edge of the driveway and they had concrete bricks along the driveway. I stepped in the hole all the way to my knee dragging my shin down the edge of the concrete block the whole way(tore the skin right off was hard to look at). I had to go to the firestation to get taped up. Thats back when you didnt have to call stuff like that in you could just finish the day. I still have a huge scar on my shin, looks like i had surgery or something.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
UPS is now sending new hire drivers to these new 2 week schools so they can train the driver properly, istead of training a supe to train a driver. The problem is training us old duffers in the new ways. The old phiosophy was empty the truck, fill it, and bring it back. How you did it wasn't that important. Times have changed.

Omega man

I understand you were taught this way. Any proof to back up that it is the correct way?

340 Methods only states to "scan walk path for obstructions". This could be on sidewalks, driveways or the yard.

I'm not trying to be argumenative, just want to know the CORRECT answer.

The OJS or Safety Ride sheet that the supervisor checks off has a box for whether or not the driver “uses prescribed walkways – no short cuts" (Section 22, Fixed Objects). In other words, you should be taking the marked walk paths to the door (sidewalk, driveway etc.). You should not be cutting across lawns. It is much easier to turn an ankle or step in a hole if you do not follow the prescribed paths. If you choose to take short cuts, you will have violated one of UPS' safe work methods and could be later disciplined for it. This is enough proof for me.

tracker2762

We have two pictures in our turn-in area. The caption reads "Which path would you choose" One is cutting through the front lawn and the other is using the sidewalk. The picture of the front lawn has a big red circle with a line through it. So at least in this center they prefer you to use the sidewalk.

rod

Retired 22 years
Rod your old school though. Things have changed alot.

So are you saying someone (a sup or center manager) thinks they can actually order you to walk across my lawn? What are all you guys now? A bunch of robots? Quit drinking their kool-aid THEY CAN"T DO THAT. Its private property and I have the right to say what happens on it. I would personally have a talk with this "god" face to face if I found out a driver had been ordered to take a shortcut . By the way -- I wouldn't actually shoot you. I don't care if people walk on my lawn but I do know people that do care and they have that right . Its their property. Stay on the sidewalks and designated pathways.

P

pickup

So are you saying someone (a sup or center manager) thinks they can actually order you to walk across my lawn? What are all you guys now? A bunch of robots? Quit drinking their kool-aid THEY CAN"T DO THAT. Its private property and I have the right to say what happens on it. I would personally have a talk with this "god" face to face if I found out a driver had been ordered to take a shortcut . By the way -- I wouldn't actually shoot you. I don't care if people walk on my lawn but I do know people that do care and they have that right . Its their property. Stay on the sidewalks and designated pathways.

I remember reading something about the post office ordering its deliverers to take the shortest path possible and if that meant walking over the lawn , so be it. If a person who owned the residence didn't want the postal carrier to walk over the lawn, he would have to send a letter to the post office ,opting out. I read this a long time ago, so the details are sketchy

SWORDFISH

LOL
I must have misunderstood you when I quoted you and your defintely misunderstanding what I have been saying in this post. I agree w/ your above statement. If you knew me theirs not way you would say that stuff. Im the last guy to fall in line to a rediculous order.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
LOL
I must have misunderstood you when I quoted you and your defintely misunderstanding what I have been saying in this post. I agree w/ your above statement. If you knew me theirs not way you would say that stuff. Im the last guy to fall in line to a rediculous order.
No, you're second to last.:wink2:

rod

Retired 22 years

I do appoligize for wording it this way. I know you are all not robots------------------------but there does seem to me, judging by some of the comments I read on the BC , that more and more employees are just rolling over and not questioning all the drivil that most management is spewing out. Come on people---they will tell you anything if they think it will improve the numbers. (they even did that back in ancient times):happy2:

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I do appoligize for wording it this way. I know you are all not robots------------------------but there does seem to me, judging by some of the comments I read on the BC , that more and more employees are just rolling over and not questioning all the drivil that most management is spewing out. Come on people---they will tell you anything if they think it will improve the numbers. (they even did that back in ancient times):happy2:

Some of UPS policies are chiseled in stone. In your case, literaly!

SWORDFISH

I have called my OCS out on some stuff that he admitted they made up to get what they wanted. By the way they didnt get what they wanted from me. Point being is that I agree w/ your statement.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
This subject runs close to current events involving a production ride I received last month.
In the process of my Oncar trying desperately to bring me in scratch, he insisted that I speed, run red lights, and cut across yards vs. using established pedestrian walkways.
I've heard this term, "established pedestrian walkways", in several post within this thread.
So, whether it's in the 340's or not, it is a method we were trained to do.
Anyway, I refused to stray from "established pedestrian walkways" during my production ride.
It was subsequently noted and reviewed in the writeup.(BTW I was just shy of an hour over, while barely dispatching)
Couple of days later, while I was waiting for the morning PCM (as I shook my head, watching a dozen or so morons work for free), I noticed the picture below on a safety bulletin board.
When I pointed it out to my Oncar, he just looked at it for a long 10 seconds and walked away.
VINDICATION!!!!
Haven't heard a word since about my production. safety BS.jpg
safety BS.jpg

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Forgot to mention that the picture has mysteriously turned up missing from the bulletin board.
Management has no idea what happened to it.
Maybe I'll reprint it and post it back up on Monday.

[video=youtube;npqzBtJ2Gco]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npqzBtJ2Gco[/video]

SWORDFISH

This subject runs close to current events involving a production ride I received last month.
In the process of my Oncar trying desperately to bring me in scratch, he insisted that I speed, run red lights, and cut across yards vs. using established pedestrian walkways.
I've heard this term, "established pedestrian walkways", in several post within this thread.
So, whether it's in the 340's or not, it is a method we were trained to do.
Anyway, I refused to stray from "established pedestrian walkways" during my production ride.
It was subsequently noted and reviewed in the writeup.(BTW I was just shy of an hour over, while barely dispatching)
Couple of days later, while I was waiting for the morning PCM (as I shook my head, watching a dozen or so morons work for free), I noticed the picture below on a safety bulletin board.
When I pointed it out to my Oncar, he just looked at it for a long 10 seconds and walked away.
VINDICATION!!!!
Haven't heard a word since about my production.View attachment 4096

Too many people try to make the OCS look good when they ride along w/ them doing stupid things. I like to make them look worse.