Driving home for lunch/dinner?

O

OLDMAN3

We were given a sheet that states we can not drive more than 1/4 mile each way off trace to take break. Past practice (for decades) was 1 mile off trace. I don't know if the new policy was tested. Of coarse you can always drive as many miles as it takes to use a bathroom...and then stay for lunch. To make it work it needs to be the closest public bathroom.

To the OP...find out what your center"s policy is for going off trace to take break.

Indecisi0n

We were given a sheet that states we can not drive more than 1/4 mile each way off trace to take break. Past practice (for decades) was 1 mile off trace. I don't know if the new policy was tested. Of coarse you can always drive as many miles as it takes to use a bathroom...and then stay for lunch. To make it work it needs to be the closest public bathroom.

To the OP...find out what your center"s policy is for going off trace to take break.
I'll drive where I want to within reason for MY lunch.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

They can hand out all the sheets they want. It doesn't change the fact that I will drive as far as necessary in order to use a restroom on my break. The management person who wrote that "sheet" was sitting in an office 30 feet from a bathroom. If he were ever on car with me and had to take a dump bad enough, I have a feeling that he would instruct me to drive him to the nearest public restroom where he could make proper and fitting use of that sheet.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
They can hand out all the sheets they want. It doesn't change the fact that I will drive as far as necessary in order to use a restroom on my break. The management person who wrote that "sheet" was sitting in an office 30 feet from a bathroom. If he were ever on car with me and had to take a dump bad enough, I have a feeling that he would instruct me to drive him to the nearest public restroom where he could make proper and fitting use of that sheet.

"Sorry, management has instructed us to not break route to use the bathroom. Here's a DR bag, try not to make a mess"

You can't argue with poop.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
ask drivers at your hub as the house rules may be different from ours. we can go a mile away from route but must do it on the clock according to the union and then punch off for meal and breaks after said vehicle is stopped. if you think about that , it makes sense.

why cant you park your company vehicle and take your personal vehicle home for lunch if you only live a mile away?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I had a female supervisor give me a post-accident safety OJS a couple of years ago.

I politely informed her that there were 2 options. Option #1 involved me being friendly and cooperative and letting her know where all the clean public restrooms were, and running the route in a manner that would give her access to those restrooms at suitable intervals. Option #2 was the "hardass" option where we would do everything strictly by the book, document and nitpick every detail, and stay strictly on a trace which could prove to be a bit of a problem for a few hours when it came to sit-down restroom facilities or lack thereof.

She got the message loud and clear and picked Option #1, so we got the safety drivel out of the way in the first hour and she spent the rest of the day chatting with me, walking stops off, and enjoying the scenery of Oregon's wine country on a nice sunny day.

By The Book

Contractually you are supposed to take lunch between a certain time. In my local it's between 3.5 - 5.5 hour. Technically you couldn't here. Sups don't care when we take lunch here as long as it's in the board. We are also allowed 2 miles to drive off route for lunch. Starts when you break route and ends when you return.
Explain why (technically) you can't take your lunch within your contracts stated time.

By The Book

Where you eat isn't the issue. Combining breaks is.
Yes it can, where you eat that is. If your centers house rule is 1 mile round trip and you drive 1 mile each way then yes it's an issue. I'm thinking you implied that and to not take too much personal time.

Johney

Agreed. This is an issue that will always have to be resolved on a case-by-case basis. The company has every right to prohibit the use of its vehicles for personal reasons. By the same token, the driver has every right to take his/her break at a location with a suitable restroom. If you are a driver on an urban/mall route, there is no reason for you to drive off area at all since there are plenty of public restrooms available. On a rural route, this is not always the case.
So you get to take let's say an extra 1/2 hour,15 mins to and 15 mins from area for lunch just because you're rural? You might because you've been here a long time. Let a rookie try and see if that flies.