Driving record

billandted

What kind of driving record is required to become a driver? I just interviewed for a part-time package handler and he asked if I was interested in a driver job. I have a improper passing and speeding ticket in the past 3 years (4 pts). I also have a left lane violation in a semi truck but no points for that one. Also I am laid off from Yellow and my brakes caught on fire while I was driving and it shows as an accident on my record . My guess is I won't be considered for driving for UPS, but will this ban me from being a package handler and once I get my record clean would I be able to promote to being a driver.

Kyle-ProRI

Suprised you got offered, who do you know? LOL jk... You can be a felon and be a pkg handler... as for cleaning your record, I doubt it... As UPS insurance knows your history now, what u go in with, is what you leave with.. Not positive..

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor
What kind of driving record is required to become a driver? I just interviewed for a part-time package handler and he asked if I was interested in a driver job. I have a improper passing and speeding ticket in the past 3 years (4 pts). I also have a left lane violation in a semi truck but no points for that one. Also I am laid off from Yellow and my brakes caught on fire while I was driving and it shows as an accident on my record . My guess is I won't be considered for driving for UPS, but will this ban me from being a package handler and once I get my record clean would I be able to promote to being a driver.

keep your records clean for the next 2-3 years then you should be good for a driver postion.

paidslave

I don't know how you are showing an accident for brakes catching fire? Maybe an incident! If you received supervision for your other minor tickets I don't think it is a problem to get a driving chance!

my2cents

govols019

You smell that?
We had a guy that was rear-ended by a drunk driver and he was told he couldn't go to driving school because he had an accident in the past 12 months.

govols019

You smell that?
It's a new rule that went into effect in 2008. You can't become a driver if you have ANY accidents on your record in the past 12 months.

Personally I would not have told them about the brake thing, only the things on the state driving record. I was told the 12 month/no wreck thing 20 years ago as it applies to new hires. It will fade away from your state's record in due time and then UP$ could care less.

Paidslave
Tires catching on fire is now an accident? What is this world coming to?
Really. Next thing ya know, they'll say getting stuck in the mud or snow is an accident. Wait, they already do.

billandted

I drove from Columbus OH on I-70 to exit 79 to stop at the Pilot truck stop. I did my pre-trip and the brakes were not smoking at the truck stop. When I exited the truck stop of course I checked to see if my fifth wheels were pulled. I was driving a set of doubles. About a couple of miles down the road I noticed my rear trailer brakes were smoking and started catching on fire. When I stopped I noticed somebody must of opened the trailer valve slightly on the rear traler to let air escape and it had to be done at the truck stop. I called the fire department and Yellow wanted a police report for insurance reasons so I guess that's how it got on my record. I had no accidents in 10 years of driving and this really sucks. It really sucks going from $1400 week to $8.50hr, but I rather make $8.50hr than drive for Schneider the only trucking company that has considered me for a driving position.