Drug test

UnconTROLLed

perfection
As a union member you shouldn't be welcoming the discharge of other members. If that's some thing you're interested in I'd suggest turning in your letter to become management.

If you're interested in the rules for Drugs/Alcohol. Start at page 95 of the NMA and work your way down.
If someone's drug use is putting people at risk at work, or in the public, then yes I definitely welcome drug testing and possible discharge. That applies to management weenies as well. Regardless, many people take up the SAP and come back, eventually.

542thruNthru

If someone's drug use is putting people at risk at work, or in the public, then yes I definitely welcome drug testing and possible discharge. That applies to management weenies as well. Regardless, many people take up the SAP and come back, eventually.

I agree that if someone is putting people in danger then something should be said. Personally I would inform my steward or BA about the problem and ask they inform this person of their options for help.

The OP in my opinion is looking for people to be fired for minor accidents knowing they probably use on their off times. (I don't approve personally but as a union member I try not to bring reproach against another member)

If he would have started a thread that seemed more genuinely concerned. I would understand where he is coming from. For instance if you would have said. "Why doesn't the company drug test these drivers that are clearly under the influence of some narcotic!"

I feel he's bitter about something else and wants people to pay. Though I may be wrong and that's why I pointed him to the contract for info. :)

El Correcto

god is dead
How is it that we’ve had a few drivers in our center that have had accidents happen and no drug testing has been done what’s the procedure for them to drug test?
This is just my opinion.

I don’t think the company would drug test you after an accident, regardless of your sobriety. They’d let the police do that if they felt it was necessary.

If I was running a trucking company I would drug test you only if you showed up stoned, drunk or rumored, because you are a liability.

After an accident though I would be trying to cover my ass and blame the other driver for causing the accident not trying to prove my company was at fault and my driver was :censored2:ed up behind the wheel.

542thruNthru

This is just my opinion.

I don’t think the company would drug test you after an accident, regardless of your sobriety. They’d let the police do that if they felt it was necessary.

If I was running a trucking company I would drug test you only if you showed up stoned, drunk or rumored, because you are a liability.

After an accident though I would be trying to cover my ass and blame the other driver for causing the accident not trying to prove my company was at fault and my driver was :censored2:ed up behind the wheel.

Makes sense but every company I know other then UPS (and maybe FedEx) where they drive a company vehicle does a drug test after every accident.

El Correcto

god is dead
Makes sense but every company I know other then UPS (and maybe FedEx) where they drive a company vehicle does a drug test after every accident.
I would say it depends on the accident and whether they are trying to prove you were sober. Most trucking companies I know of other than fedex and ups will only drug test you for liability reasons or government regulation.

Especially in a fatality crash incident, they are trying to wiggle out of that civil and legal lawsuit as best they can.

My experience with this issue is hearing a lawyer talking about companies dragging their feet to produce a drug test and trying to sweep it under after a crash. One of the drivers ended up having cocaine in their system and it was a slam dunk in determining who was at fault.

So I unno maybe that’s just a :censored2:ty example or maybe par for the course.

F

Frankie's Friend

So you think it's ok to drug test someone because of a rumor? Gossip?
You know there's protocol for management to suspect and test someone of being impaired due to drug and or alcohol usage right?

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby
They do, at least here in order to get a DOT card you have to piss in a cup. 1 of these days I'ma gonna get the hot nurse to hold "it" for my test!
Unless you are in feeders, that is a blood/sugar test
Package car drivers are not tested for drugs unless there are special circumstances

barnyard

KTM rider
There is a huge difference between the test done for the DOT physical and a random drug test. During a random drug test, you will be asked to initial several forms saying that you saw your sample divided into 2 containers and the correct labels put on them. You will also be asked to empty your pockets and leave the toilet without flushing when you are done.

I have had 1 DOT physical that was also a random drug test, the rest were checking for diabetes. I have had at least 6 random tests. 3 were the 2nd summer I was in feeders. The 3rd time, my boss laughed when he handed me the slip and the nurses at the clinic were all, "Hey barnyard, how are you?? Been too long since out last visit." Good times.

Last edited:

Johney

You're mistaken. The test is for proteins in your urine not for drugs. Also @scooby0048 is correct it's for a wide rang of health issues but also for diabetes. (This is not the same for CDL holders . They I believe take a drug test every DOT. )

Urine Protein Test: Purpose, Procedure, and Preparation

Unless you are in feeders, that is a blood/sugar test
Package car drivers are not tested for drugs unless there are special circumstances

Not for pkg car.... only feeders.

Yep.

They test it right in front of you....

Probable cause or a DOT reportable accident.
I have never been tested for drugs during my DOT physical. I have been ran-domed a time or two though.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
How is it that we’ve had a few drivers in our center that have had accidents happen and no drug testing has been done what’s the procedure for them to drug test?
giphy (15).gif

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
There is a huge difference between the test done for the DOT physical and a random drug test. During a random drug test, you will be asked to initial several forms saying that you saw your sample divided into 2 containers and the correct labels put on them. You will also be asked to empty your pockets and leave the toilet without flushing when you are done..

You'll know if it is a drug/alcohol test.

The test they do for sugar, is when they just stick that little litmus paper stick

in and then compare it to a small chart.

I have never been tested for drugs during my DOT physical.

The only time I was.... was for the pre-screen for going into feeders.