DUI drivers license gone

barnyard

KTM rider
Locally, a driver that loses his/her license can bump into the building and work either sort or both to get their 8 hours in. They can do that for 1 year, if they do not have their license after 1 year, they lose their job. I made seniority because of a driver that was forced off the road before the 'free period' and the center needed drivers. I have seen 2 drivers that as part of their plea agreement were able to get their license back early in order to keep their job.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
We just keep on driving as long as everything is reported correctly and done by the book. 1st offense is a traffic violation in WI.

Indecisi0n

I agree. There are times I go out with friends and ill have just one beer. Sometimes I question if I should even do that! I would never get "drunk" and drive.

barnyard

KTM rider
Here, if a person flunks the breath test or refuses a breath test you lose your license until you see a judge. Cannot remember which offense costs the license for a year or more. Plus it seems to depend on the judge if you lose your license for 1 year total or 1 year in addition to the time leading up to the conviction. Some judges will give a provisional license to use for work, but very few will for a 2nd conviction.

Once a person gets a DUI, there is a pretty good chance a person is going to get a 2nd.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Here, a first offense for DUI means an automatic 1 year license suspension. However, you can plead guilty and take what is called "diversion" which means you lose your license for 30 days and then can apply for a "work" license which allows you to drive to and from work and treatment only.
The diversion program will wind up costing you about $5k in fines and fees and installation costs for the mandatory breath tester on your cars ignition. If you successfully complete the diversion program, your full license will be restored after one year and you will not have a DUI on your criminal record. However...if you then get another DUI within 10 years, you are automatically convicted of the first one and you will do jail time and lose your license for 5 years on the second.

From a work standpoint, a driver who gets a DUI must complete a treatment program prior to returning to work. Here in Oregon, the problem that drivers are facing is that the Oregon Dept of Motor Vehicles requires employers whose employees drive company vehicles on a "work only" license to sign a waiver in order to avoid having to install the breath tester on the vehicle ignition. UPS has decided that they will not sign such waivers, which means that the driver will wind up working in the hub or preload, at a lower rate of pay, for an an entire year until their full driving priveleges are restored.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I agree. There are times I go out with friends and ill have just one beer. Sometimes I question if I should even do that! I would never get "drunk" and drive.

I'm weak. If I'm going out for one beer, I'm not going out. Don't want to start something I can't finsih.

rod

Retired 22 years
The wife and I take turns being the designated driver if we go out together. Otherwise if you don't like the way I drive- stay off the sidewalk.

jk

rod

Retired 22 years
The wife and I take turns being the designated driver if we go out together. Otherwise if you don't like the way I drive- stay off the sidewalk. (jk) The last time I figured I was going to jail for DUI was probably in the late 70's when I got pulled over because I had no tail lights (I really didn't have any---not like now days when they just make up a story about having a license plate light out). It was about midnight and I was toast. We had spent the night a a UPS safe driving party , how ironic is that, where the company had paid for dinner and drinks from 5 til 10 and everyone was toasted. The nice officer let me go because I'm such a nice guy. (actually there was another reason he let me go). I will have a couple if I go out now but for the most part its just too scary anymore. Our nice little downtown bar area has all but folded up in the last ten years because of the DUI laws and a Barney Fife an every corner just waiting to tail someone. Everyone hits the country bars now and takes the back roads home. If I'm on the Harley I don't drink at all-ever-none-zilch-not even one.

jaker

trolling
I won't drink at all if we go out and eat unless the wife drives , if we go to a party or something I might have one but that depends on how till I leave that spot

There is so much stuff in our daily lives that is out of our control , this is one of those things that we can control so control it your family depends on it

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I had a Division Manager on the car doing a sales lead ride with me a few years ago and this topic came up. He told me that the first DWI would send the driver inside for a year and if they got a second they would be gone.

A

anonymous6

You can't even do that her in CA. the limit is .04 for cdl holders. technically you can't have ANY alcohol in your system. one time after having a half beer my son needed a ride home and i told him to take a cab. i paid 20 bucks for it. not worth the chance especially with the revenue (cops) agents we have here in CA.

to answer your q. we have a feeder driver who got a dui and didn't report it. he drove for 3 years on a suspende license until caught and terminated. he was off work for a couple months and then made some kinda deal with co. and union and got his job back.

that will probably not work everywhere ( smirk )

rod

Retired 22 years
BS.... beyond BS.... Not on this planet.

i agree that this may be hard to believe but it's true. ask some of the old timers. deals are always being made between the co. and the union. back door deals.

I believe you. I've seen many strange things happen at the old Brown meat grinder. I've seen a driver get two twenty year safe driving award prizes back to back with the center manager telling him to just take it because there is too much paperwork to get it straightened out. I've seen a driver go six years without taking a DOT physical. I've seen a Center Manager and an Hourly Employee in a full bore knock down drag out fight. I actually saw that on two different occasions although one of them was between a District Saftey Manager and an Hourly employee. I've seen a center manager thrown out of a Holiday Inn because he was drunk and disorderly. I've seen a Center Manager come within a whisker of letting a few drivers deliver office supplies free (while on route) for a friend of mine with the payoff being 2 free cases of beer of his choice per week----so driving for a few years without a license isn't unbelievable.