duplicating stops.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I will clarify my delivery situation at the college so that you can see why I do it the way that I do. The college delivers the packages to each dorm for us--we do not go to each individual dorm nor do we go to each office bldg. As such, if I were to sheet each different address individually, prerecord and then do a multiple left at showing delivery to 101 Broad St I would have 40-50 stops if not more for that one delivery stop. Now, if I were to sheet the pkgs for 101 Broad and then prerecord and hit duplicate stop for each subsequent pkg and then do a multiple left at again showing delivery to 101 Broad it would show only one delivery stop but the time to deliver the stop would most certainly double. The occasional driver follow up shows the original delivery address and the address to where we deliver the pkgs and I have a 95% plus positive result rate on all DFUs at this stop so I think I will stick with what has been working.

Now, I also deliver to a student housing complex where all deliveries go directly to the office. There I sheet each stop individually and do a multiple left at to the office. The manager has asked that we do not attempt delivery to the individual rooms but to bring everything right to her and that she will sign for the complex, which is fine with me because most of the time the kids are either in class or at the mall.

upsgrunt

Trplnkl, when I first started UPS would actually make sure that it took 2 days for a 2DA to reach its destination. For example, a shipper sends a pkg from Albany, NY, to Boston, MA. UPS used to hold the pkg in Philadelphia one day to make sure that the receiver doesn't get the pkg until the 2nd day. Now they are processed in the most expedient manner possible and will usually get there the following day.

Rocket man--be careful. You are padding stops.

Captain America, I also deliver to a college campus and all deliveries (except for certain bldgs) go to a central location. I will sheet the first pkg which has the address for that location and any subsequent pkgs which are supposed to be delivered there but are not addressed there will prompt "Address correct Y/N" for which I hit Y and simply add it to the initial address. There is no prerecording or duplicate stops or any of that. For example, my college deliveries go to 101 Broad St, which is where pkgs for the facility are addressed. Pkgs for the dorms will either come through with that address or with the actual dorm address (546 MacDonough Hall). If they are addressed in that manner I simply hit "Y" and it is added to 101 Broad. The college itself has several addresses which I also add to 101 Broad so I will have all of the pkgs to be delivered to the college warehouse sheeted under 101 Broad. There will be days when I will hit the "Y" button 50 times just at that stop. The college bookstore uses 2 separate addresses for some reason but I sheet the first pkg that I have which has the actual street address and sheet all pkgs for the bookstore under that address, hitting "Y" as needed.

Isn't this exactly what I said? Besides that you would only have to hit the yes button once for each address, not each package.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am going to try to deliver the college using the methods suggested here, as I will admit they do appear to be a more accurate accounting of the delivery, and will also see how much longer it takes to do it this way. Like I said, I have a 95%+ pos DFU rate at this stop but there is always room for improvement, even for an old-timer such as myself. Thanks for the input and I will update everyone tonight.

I am going to try to deliver the college using the methods suggested here, as I will admit they do appear to be a more accurate accounting of the delivery, and will also see how much longer it takes to do it this way. Like I said, I have a 95%+ pos DFU rate at this stop but there is always room for improvement, even for an old-timer such as myself. Thanks for the input and I will update everyone tonight.
As long as you put the left@ for 101 ,,, your DFU rate shouldn't change.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Well, I tried to deliver the college using Captain America's method and it was a lot more time consuming and cumbersome than the method that I use. It took twice as long to deliver the stop so I will go back to my tried and true method, which is the way that I was instructed to deliver this stop. As I said, any DFUs that I get show both the original address and the address to which I deliver it and, as a bonus, the college also scans and tracks each pkg so all we have to do is track the 1Z and they give me a print out of the Resident Advisor signing for the pkg at the dorm for the student as all pkgs going to the dorms are signed for by the RA at that dorm. This is not to say that CAs method is wrong--it just takes a lot longer to get to the same result.

Captain America

SuperDAD to the rescue
I just follow the last instruction I am given. Any initiative or thoughts that my opinion is valued have been beaten out of me.

ME: What if we did X. Wouldn't that be better for Y ?

UPS: Just get your numbers UP!

A simplified example, but I can't even get these guys to fix obvious errors in my Delivery Order Listing. I don't get paid to think and the longer I just do what I am told the less stress I feel. Strangely my supervisors seem to want me to read there mind and do what they want, but it is not possible if I do it the way I am told.:punk:

farmerbrown

In the two districts (Washington, Prarie Mountain) I've worked in it's basicly the same. You can take only one stop for any ground package stop. Of course you can take one stop for the air and come back later for the ground (not a duplicate stop) Wheater you reattempt a ground or someone brings one out to you, if you deliver a ground to a stop you've already been to it's a duplicate. Although if you reattempt a nda it's not a duplicate...On my last day of work all my stops will be duplicate.:lol:

Make sure you let us know how that last day dup stop thing goes. Sounds like the start of a great retiree tradition!