Dynamic Orion - Turn by Turn Directions & Why RDO Is Dead In UPS's Own Words

The Real Jack RyanMI6

https://www.esri.com/about/newsroom...hidden-dimensions-and-innovation-a-ups-story/

Buzzwords, Hidden Dimensions, and Innovation: A UPS Story

by Chris Chiappinelli |

September 7, 2017

WhereNext:
The logistics industry moves fast. Now that you’ve deployed ORION, how do you ensure it remains on the cutting edge?

UPS senior director of process management Jack Levis: We’re also working on dynamic optimization. Today, when a driver leaves the building, the order of deliveries never changes. We achieved all these gains with something that’s static, so we’re going to move into a dynamic world so that ORION will update during the day. It may detect that the driver is ahead or behind schedule and say, Let me reoptimize the route. Or the change could come because a customer says, I need you to make a pickup. The system says, Here’s the next move—this is where you should go. But it’ll do it knowing that it can insert that inside everything else you need to do.

WhereNext: That’s a change management process. What did you learn from it?

Levis: What we learned was, if you build it, don’t assume they’re going to come. You go out and deploy a site, and while you’re deploying it, maybe the drivers are getting gains. But if in the morning the drivers are talking about the same things they always did before you got there, you became a flavor of the month. Trust me. They’re appeasing you, but their conversations are what they always were. You have to change the morning conversation.

WhereNext: How did you do that?

Levis: We did that through communication, through top-down support, but also by changing metrics. Drivers aren’t measured on how much money they saved. They’re measured on things they can control. Did you maintain your map? Are you overriding the system? Are you following the solution?

DriverNerd

After all these years, this is the best they have for ORION - set up for delivering perfectly on time (no factor for leaving late, traffic, construction, or weather), loads not loaded in ODO but in RDO (though no access to RDO), and figuring a break randomly in the day. Now they want to implement a dynamic trace. How many years is that going to take?!

The Real Jack RyanMI6

I
After all these years, this is the best they have for ORION - set up for delivering perfectly on time (no factor for leaving late, traffic, construction, or weather), loads not loaded in ODO but in RDO (though no access to RDO), and figuring a break randomly in the day. Now they want to implement a dynamic trace. How many years is that going to take?!
I have to look at my notes but i think David A said on the 2017 4th qtr. Investors webcast that it will be fully deployed in 2019.

The Real Jack RyanMI6

If you look at the thread titled what i found today thats all part of the system. Its a host of intuitives that UPS has promised Wall Street, that interconnect to create a more "Flexible" solution for our customers

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I'm sure Dynamic ORION will be an outstanding success like every other piece of technology they come out with. If only they could figure out how to load a package car stop by stop. By the time the Preload starts, they know every tracking number and address that is scheduled for that Center. The days when cars were loaded by paper load charts seemed to be more efficient to me. I spent a lot less time in the back searching for packages. It looks like more money for me to fix their poor planning.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
I'm sure Dynamic ORION will be an outstanding success like every other piece of technology they come out with. If only they could figure out how to load a package car stop by stop. By the time the Preload starts, they know every tracking number and address that is scheduled for that Center. The days when cars were loaded by paper load charts seemed to be efficient to me. I spent a lot less time in the back searching for packages. It looks like more money for me to fix their poor planning.
I’m at the point where I look at it as a raise. I’m not fighting anymore. I intend to unload the entire package car to find the next most efficient stop the computer thinks will save money.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
And that is why things never get fixed in my Center, our Dispatcher is worthless.
I keep getting pulled in to do rides because they're short ORS, and the ORION is just trash. I was so tired of running the crappy traces I sat the dispatcher down and was like, alright, we're fixing this, you have no idea what you're doing.

Dollar Chasing

You forgot to mention traffic lights.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
That is a dispatch issue again. The building we may or may not work at is about the worst I've ever seen at handling a bricked out package car.

Why do you keep blaming dispatch ?
A bricked out package car is due to your SPC metric.
The packages are way to big, come down way to late, and bulk out and impede any ORION progress.

And yes, our building is terrible at wrapping up LOL

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
37367111_10155722290076239_6341154552640700416_o.jpg

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Why do you keep blaming dispatch ?
A bricked out package car is due to your SPC metric.
The packages are way to big, come down way to late, and bulk out and impede any ORION progress.

And yes, our building is terrible at wrapping up LOL
I'm in the Hub, so it isn't MY metric by any means. Dispatchers need to get better at identifying stops to take off and put onto bulk vehicles.

And really the big stuff doesn't come down late, at least not on our preload. They just don't get them in the car.

F

Frankie's Friend

I keep getting pulled in to do rides because they're short ORS, and the ORION is just trash. I was so tired of running the crappy traces I sat the dispatcher down and was like, alright, we're fixing this, you have no idea what you're doing.
It's a disease. And will be chronically fatal financially if the knuckleheads wont listen...

unless the new Orion will be set up on free wheeling gps and not the dol abortions and mutations that remain since PAS implementation.

We've got children driving Maseratis' here. If the driver has more than a 50 IQ it will be a continuous downward slide for drivers and customers.

F

Frankie's Friend

I'm in the Hub, so it isn't MY metric by any means. Dispatchers need to get better at identifying stops to take off and put onto bulk vehicles.

And really the big stuff doesn't come down late, at least not on our preload. They just don't get them in the car.
Truth. And get them loaded out of the walk way in the pc...
Not just thrown on top of the pkgs down the center, severly crushing them.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
By the time the Preload starts, they know every tracking number and address that is scheduled for that Center.

Some outbound hubs also have 6-sided dimensional scanners and measure the weight of everything going out.

It is not too far fetched for a computer in the near future to play virtual tetris with the load and spit out an incredibly detailed PAL: hin measured down to the millimeter, with instructions for the orientation (up, in, against, flat) printed below, floor being dynamic and detailed based on the bulk for each day.
Sounds crazy, but it seems the only thing barring this from becoming reality is pure incompetence.