Earthquake

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
Not sure about the depth of soil, I think that actually liquifaction is more to do with unstable, or loose soil. It intensifies the movement at the surface. For example, if you are in an area where there is this type of soil it moves more like water, intensifying the movement. It also depends on the type of earthquake, if it was a slip fault or vertical movement the intensity would be less than if there is horizontal movement from a plate fault.

We had a 5.9 in our area about 18 years ago and at the time I lived in a valley area near a small river, the liquifaction of the soil caused alot of movement. It felt so weird, not an abrupt movement, but like jello shaking.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
We had a 5.9 in our area about 18 years ago and at the time I lived in a valley area near a small river, the liquifaction of the soil caused alot of movement. It felt so weird, not an abrupt movement, but like jello shaking.

There was a 3.5 or 4 in northern Illinois about 5 years ago. No damage and almost no one knew it had struck until the news flashed it up on the morning news.

I remember the History Channel program I watched a couple years ago mentioned Memphis being in particularly big trouble because of the Mighty Mississippi being so close. It was an interesting program. I'm hoping it pops up again soon...-Rocky

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
I remember the History Channel program I watched a couple years ago mentioned Memphis being in particularly big trouble because of the Mighty Mississippi being so close. ...-Rocky

What your saying is we may wake up one day and see on CNN that an earthquake just swallowed FEDEX Memphis Hub??

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
What your saying is we may wake up one day and see on CNN that an earthquake just swallowed FEDEX Memphis Hub??

LOL, Blackbox. I'm not a geologist but I think the entire Memphis are would be a mess, not just FDX's hub. And 'swallowed' is probably the wrong word. I would use the word 'levelled' or 'rubble.' The BIG ONE is coming to the Midwest but its unknown how long until that happens. I think the last year I saw was 2025 but at the time, there was some kind of research project going on into how often these quakes happen in that area. I don't remember the published results (if I ever saw them). -Rocky

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
That's a pretty good one, where? Yes that's why San Francisco area and the Anchorage one were so destructive, both areas are built on soil either dredged and filled or that are saturated underneath.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
Right on, and I have a son in Sam Mateo, right on the area they predict most to be affected by liquifaction. Most of the bay area is built up from fill and dredged out of the bay.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Most of the bay area is built up from fill and dredged out of the bay.

Interesting. I knew some parts were built from fill but I had no idea it was most. And he was referring to Seattle's earthquake in late February 2001. I should remember details but I don't. I skimmed through a Google results list. Good stuff. And I'd suggest your son get out of SoCal. If the cost of living doesn't kill him, the earthquake might! -Rocky

UPS Lifer

The Northridge Quake in San Fernando Valley CA was one of the most powerful I had been in back in '71. It was M 6.7; I was on the lower level of our home. It lasted 1 minute which seems like 10! The same house went through the Whittier Quake which was M 5.9. The difference was that it was only a couple of miles from the epicenter. The house was knocked off the foundation by 6 inches and all the cabinets emptied onto the floor. Quite a mess. My mom never slept upstairs again! They sold the house within a year!!!
But a year ago last October, I flew to Maui to be in a big one! That was scary. We were on the top floor of the hotel and you could feel the floor swaying. I got up out of bed to hold the tv on the counter to keep it from falling! I immediately thought of a Tsunami and stayed put. We didn't get one but we were without power for 3 hours. Maui and Oahu lost their generators and there were landslides that cut off parts of the islands.
We were on vacation so we still had a good time....just more to talk about!

moreluck

golden ticket member
I felt the Northridge one too and we were clear in Mission Viejo at the time. Our huge entry chandelier swung an 8 foot arc for a long time. That was scary & so was the Lander's quake.

Us transplants are stupid.....we didn't stand in a doorway, we ran outside to the middle of our street.....it was clear there....buried utilities.

My childhood friend lived in the LA area and had one of those condos where the garage is underneath the unit. She lost her unit and it caved in on her car too.

Pkgrunner

Till I Collapse
The Northridge Quake in San Fernando Valley CA was one of the most powerful I had been in back in '71. It was M 6.7; I was on the lower level of our home. It lasted 1 minute which seems like 10! The same house went through the Whittier Quake which was M 5.9. The difference was that it was only a couple of miles from the epicenter.

I grew up in the San Gabriel Valley near Pasadena and lived there from '64 until '96. I was a young boy during the Sylmar quake and remember my mom grabbing me and my sister and covering underneath the central beam in our house. The shaking went on for an eternity.
The Whittier quake in the late 80s felt alot more violent but lasted only a few seconds. I happened to be on a road at the time and will never forget what a trip it was to literally feel like I was in a boat on the water with a big wave passing underneath me. I saw the road move as if it were a rug someone snapped. Needless to say, I continued on to my Chem. class at CSULA only to see smoke coming from the building that day.
I was living in a different house at the time of the Northrige quake in the early 90's. Our TV fell over and that was about it. I still got ready for work, called in to see if we were working and got no answer. So I of course drove into work just in case the phone lines were down(I was well trained). It was one of the eeriest feelings to drive through a deserted downtown LA with no-one else on the road and no traffic lights functioning whatsoever. Needless to say, the good ol OLY building had no damage and was back up and running the next day. I have since moved to a more seismically preferable area to the south of LA county; the earthquakes are more frequent but undetectable verses the 6 - 7 magnitudes every 10 years or so in the LA, San Fernando area.
My sister lives pretty close to where the Lander's quakes epicenters were. There were 2 big ones in the 7 range out there within a couple years of each other, but pretty much no damage out there to anyone or any thing.
The Alaskan quake in '64 emptied the bay of Anchorage, the ships hit the seabed floor. More people died from the resulting tsunamis in other states than in the actual earthquake.
The type of fault, the type of land, and also the location and type of structures near the epicenters make a big difference in damage done.
That New Madrid fault in the midwest I believe had an magnitude 8 or so a few hundred years ago. Imagine the damage an 8 there would cause today. Thats 300 times stronger than the 5.2, or is it 3000 times I can't remember anymore I just know its exponentially greater.

Pkgrunner

Till I Collapse
I know this kind off subject, but did anyone in the Midwest get awaken by that earthquake this morning?? Uh scared the crap out of me, I don't know how you California people handle it!

I think it's all just a matter of what you grow up with. Earthquakes don't bother me at all. Now tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, blizzards or even the thought of snow,sleet, hail,thunderstorms and torrential downpours seem way scarier to me.

Aeden

We were doing loading when all of a sudden everybody yells that there's an earthquake, so we rushed underneath the Primary. Never thought I'd actually have to go under the primary.

HazMatMan

There was an earthquake back in 86, or 87 not sure, that happened in all places- New York. Hardly did anything, but I thought it was the end of the world, woke me up at about 6 a.m.

Dutch Dawg

After being shaken in bed about 190 miles to the north of the epicenter for what seemed 15-20 sec, I scrambled downstairs, pants in hand, to the breakfast table yelling "EARTHQUAKE, grab the guns, Dinty Moore & head for the door!" (Ok, so maybe that wasn't a direct quote). The only concern shown by the kids was for my sanity.

I saw a repeat of the Evansville Weathercast mentioned above. Unfortunately, our local weatherman was unable to interpolate his forecast of calm air correctly at the time and told us our camera shake was due to winds.

Dutch Dawg

We were doing loading when all of a sudden everybody yells that there's an earthquake, so we rushed underneath the Primary. Never thought I'd actually have to go under the primary.

If you think it's an earthquake, I'd be inclined to exit outside, in spite of what you may be told to do by management.
It's your life, not their's.

Mike Hawk

Through school I have always been told to get under a doorway/desk, going outside in the middle of an empty field would be safer, but there are plenty of things that can fall on you outside and you have no cover outside, even if there is a big empty space nearby you may not make it there safely, or by the time you do the quake may be over. Power lines can fall, the building can fall, out of control cars, I'd rather stay under the belt, I've looked at the construction of ours and it can hold a lot of weight. Also if everyone rushes the door what do you think will happen in a large hub?