Earthquake

Dutch Dawg

You know to each his own, I guess that's probably a contributing factor as to why not everyone survives disasters as they don't all make the same decision.

I can't help but wonder how many would be compelled to exit during a fire thru the smaller walk in doors only because they wouldn't want to violate company policy by egressing through an open overhead?

ol'browneye

I have a metal cabinet in my bedroom and anytime we have had an earthquake it rattles and wakes me up.We have had 2-3 noticable quakes in the last 6-8 years. They always wake me up. The one last week was a little scary as it went on and on, or so it seemed. 20-30 seconds is an eternity when your house is shaking! My wife and I actually got out of bed and headed for the door downstairs. Nobody has mentioned the aftershock this morning at 12:28am. I believe they said it was a 4.0. I woke up this morning too. Yep, you guessed it, cabinet rattling.This one was only about 10 seconds. Kind of a helpless feeling when all you can do is wonder how long and how strong it will get and hope it ends soon. I am close enough to the New Madrid fault to wonder if this is "the big one".

There is a very good website at http://earthquake.usgs.gov/ where you can get the most up to date info on quakes. You can even fill out a survey, wether you felt it or not, that helps them figure the severity of the quake. I usually fill it out when I feel a quake. The website has a ton of info for you quake buffs. Check it out!

stringerman85

I have a metal cabinet in my bedroom and anytime we have had an earthquake it rattles and wakes me up.We have had 2-3 noticable quakes in the last 6-8 years. They always wake me up. The one last week was a little scary as it went on and on, or so it seemed. 20-30 seconds is an eternity when your house is shaking! My wife and I actually got out of bed and headed for the door downstairs. Nobody has mentioned the aftershock this morning at 12:28am. I believe they said it was a 4.0. I woke up this morning too. Yep, you guessed it, cabinet rattling.This one was only about 10 seconds. Kind of a helpless feeling when all you can do is wonder how long and how strong it will get and hope it ends soon. I am close enough to the New Madrid fault to wonder if this is "the big one".

There is a very good website at http://earthquake.usgs.gov/ where you can get the most up to date info on quakes. You can even fill out a survey, wether you felt it or not, that helps them figure the severity of the quake. I usually fill it out when I feel a quake. The website has a ton of info for you quake buffs. Check it out!

Yeah these aftershocks we keep experiencing are actually pretty noticeable, originally they said that they would become weaker and weaker but this last one yesterday at 12:28am was a 4.0, which is kind of stronger than the previous aftershocks...Hopefully they will not be any stronger than the first earthquake we had, Wasn't terrible but it was more than enough for me...

moreluck

golden ticket member
Maybe all the shakes are pre-cursors to the big one. I hope they are just earth-burps and the pressure is getting relieved.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Maybe all the shakes are pre-cursors to the big one.

We always heard that their would be smaller quakes before the Big One in the Midwest. I was raised and educated in the Midwest. We'd watch videos about your quakes in California. I'm so glad I live in a much more seismically stable area now! -Rocky

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
I was thinking of starting my own personal earthquake kit. What do you think I should have? Those store bought kits look weak. What would you guys put in and where would you store it??

moreluck

golden ticket member
bottled water & batteries and some sort of long lasting dried food......like an MRE, aspirin, bandages flashlight & radio. Store in car trunk. Maybe some cash too.....small bills, about $100.

helenofcalifornia

Don't forget the wrench to turn off the gas outside your house. When the big earthquake in SF hit in 1989 UPS still sent out all the feeder trucks to the Bay area from Sacramento and elsewhere despite all the damage, broken roads and bridges.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
When the big earthquake in SF hit in 1989 UPS still sent out all the feeder trucks to the Bay area from Sacramento and elsewhere despite all the damage, broken roads and bridges.

And it took how long for those drivers to get to their intended destination? And how long to get home again? I've never been to San Francisco (on my list) but the pictures, videos and written descriptions I've seen suggested those drivers would have SAT for hours. -Rocky