Easily navigate new routes

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
IMG_2438.GIF
Drive your area this weekend and take notes. There should be a standard flow for the route and it takes a few days to get down.

Standard Flow
Never heard that one before

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

UPS supplies free maps with your route and where the delivery points are. Follow that. After you finish peak season you'll be lucky if you even drive before summer and that fancy watch will be a 600$ paperweight. I was in the same boat with area knowledge, it seemed impossible, but after a week I knew it by heart. If you need to check your phone to look up an address do it while you're walking a stop off. If you depend on tech you'll never learn for yourself and you won't be successful here.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Being a mechanic, I buy tools to make my easy job a little easier. Im thinking about getting an electric scooter to ride around the center. Walking back and forth gets old. Some of you guys would blow a gasket if you had a tool bill. I bet some of you guys still have your communion money. Lol
You must be in a small center. The mechanics and PE all have their own bulk tugs. They repainted them and mounted a radio, speakers and a tool box. Its like a rolling jukebox.

Above10200

Google maps on my phone has got me close on a lot of rural areas! If you can read a map (a skill that has been lost) you should be able to figure it out. Just make you bring up the map before you loose reception!!!!

Tom MacDonald

Max E. Pads
UPS supplies free maps with your route and where the delivery points are. Follow that. After you finish peak season you'll be lucky if you even drive before summer and that fancy watch will be a 600$ paperweight. I was in the same boat with area knowledge, it seemed impossible, but after a week I knew it by heart. If you need to check your phone to look up an address do it while you're walking a stop off. If you depend on tech you'll never learn for yourself and you won't be successful here.

Thanks for a legit helpful response man

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I am a 50 year old with 30 years in.
I am not a technophobe. I have an iphone with the Mapquest app and there have been many occasions where it has come in handy for work.
That being said, there is really no substitute for learning to read a map and figuring out how to intuitively find addresses based upon the number grid for your area. It will not help you in the long run to become overly reliant upon technology.
One of the drawbacks to cell phone maps is that the small size of the screen prevents you from "getting the big picture" of how the route is geographically set up.
Before you spend $600 on that watch, please try this: buy a map book, and make photocopies of the pages that pertain to your delivery area. Tape those pages together to make one big map. tape that map to your bulkhead door, or the roof above your seat, or clip it to the visor. Make notes, in pencil, of number breaks, where you start pickups, where your bulk stops are etc. This will really help you visualize the way you need to run the route. Go ahead and use your phone app to locate specific addresses if you need to, but go to the map first and try to figure out, on your own, where that address is based upon the number.
Technology can be a great tool, but it also makes a terrible crutch.

Last edited:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
As a rural driver, one of my favorite features of the Mapquest app is the satellite view.
It has come in very handy in unfamiliar areas after dark when I am looking at 3 rusty, unmarked mailboxes and two driveways heading up into the woods. I can use the satellite photo to see where the houses are located, how long the driveways are and whether or not there is any place to turn around.

Standard Flow
Never heard that one before

Standard Flow is when there's 500% left on unload at 8am, and they crank it to max and add twice as many packages. Supes will lie to your face it's the same pace it's been. Same ones who say there's 150% left but they have no idea when the last 3 trailers are coming and lol air.

That's my understanding of "standard flow".

Gear

Parts on Order
You must be in a small center. The mechanics and PE all have their own bulk tugs. They repainted them and mounted a radio, speakers and a tool box. Its like a rolling jukebox.

That's what Im talking about. Riding around with the, ":censored2: you, Im a mechanic look on their faces." I would be cruising around in one of those for sure. Im feeling a little jelly of those guys. Makes my electric scooter idea kinda gay.

I would think Im at a medium size center. Probably about 110-120 PCs out a day. Our PE is part time. Most of the time contractors are doing PE.

P

pickup

It has nothing to do with the money. Buy a map book and learn the job the right way instead of always relying on technology to do it for you. A brain is a horrible thing to waste.

Isn't a map a result of technology? Lewis and Clark would shame all you guys. "A map??? We didn't use those, we made them".

Nine5

I'm a cover driver in my center, would never waste money on that thing!!!!! Use a map if you don't know it within a week find a new career it ain't for you Dunkin' Donuts always hiring!

Nine5

Us old geezers knew how to get from point A to Point B without 600 bucks worth of tech crap to rely on. I would give that watch maybe one week before it was smashed by falling packages.
Lol right just follow good old ORION you will never get lost lmao

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby
Wanted some thoughts, I'm on my 3rd day of my 30 day probation and to me the hardest part is learning the area especially since i moved to this location from out of state. Since management is completely against smartphones or gps devices in the cab with you I think I may have found a pricey, but good loophole to their rules.

Garmin epix™ (Preloaded with U.S. TOPO 100K maps)

I think this would come in handy especially as a cover driver, which is what I'll be for a while once I qualify.
Get a Map Book and go Old School See everything and get the whole layout

Nine5

Where are you my center doesn't offer maps with delivery points lmao just have to use a little common sense