Economically Depressed Areas

oldngray

nowhere special
My first route was in very depressed area of town I did it for 20 years and if they didn't bust two routes out next to mine I would have stayed til retirement. That being said I met so many people from different nationalities Laotian, Ethiopians, Cambodians, old polish neighborhood as well. five different massage parlors, lingerie stores, adult book stores, countless prostitutes. I was even invited to a couple of ethnic weddings which were awesome. Never had a dull day. Now I'm on a "retirement route" yes the work is easier but boring. Come Christmas time on my old route I made over 700 dollars cash plus countless liquor and little gifts. New route which is very upper middle class I saw 45 dollars cash and a few gift cards which totaled 75 dollars. I never differentiate how I deliver based on who you are. Bottom line, people with money have it for a reason they don't part with it and it means too much to them. Some of the poorer people just have more things important to them than money.

I got more at Christmas from the poorer people also. They didn't have much but were generous with what they had. The wealthier suburb areas I usually got nothing .

Cementups

Box Monkey
My first route was in very depressed area of town I did it for 20 years and if they didn't bust two routes out next to mine I would have stayed til retirement. That being said I met so many people from different nationalities Laotian, Ethiopians, Cambodians, old polish neighborhood as well. five different massage parlors, lingerie stores, adult book stores, countless prostitutes. I was even invited to a couple of ethnic weddings which were awesome. Never had a dull day. Now I'm on a "retirement route" yes the work is easier but boring. Come Christmas time on my old route I made over 700 dollars cash plus countless liquor and little gifts. New route which is very upper middle class I saw 45 dollars cash and a few gift cards which totaled 75 dollars. I never differentiate how I deliver based on who you are. Bottom line, people with money have it for a reason they don't part with it and it means too much to them. Some of the poorer people just have more things important to them than money.

It's because the people with "less" appreciate your service more.
I used to work for my brother putting up inflatable moonwalks for kids parties. When we would go to the big homes on big properties we were treated as the help. They would point to where the moonwalk went and then be bothered if I had to ask any questions or when I had to go over the rules and when I would be back. And when we got back that night to pick it up they would be hiding inside. The only exception was a neurosurgeon that we got to know well over the years and he came from nothing so actually appreciated everything he had and worked for. Most of those people would give us nothing, except him. He would give us $100 tip every year.
Then we would go to lass economically stimulated areas. These people renting the unit pretty much had to save to throw the party for their kids. But in the end they always had a little extra ($10-20) to throw our way. I always said no first, but you never say no twice. They also took the best care of the equipment while they had it. And if there was something wrong they were quick to call. The rich people would cover stuff up or deny any wrong doing. In the end, the "poor" people would tip us because they appreciated it more. And numerous thank you's as well.

didyousheetit

It's because the people with "less" appreciate your service more.
I used to work for my brother putting up inflatable moonwalks for kids parties. When we would go to the big homes on big properties we were treated as the help. They would point to where the moonwalk went and then be bothered if I had to ask any questions or when I had to go over the rules and when I would be back. And when we got back that night to pick it up they would be hiding inside. The only exception was a neurosurgeon that we got to know well over the years and he came from nothing so actually appreciated everything he had and worked for. Most of those people would give us nothing, except him. He would give us $100 tip every year.
Then we would go to lass economically stimulated areas. These people renting the unit pretty much had to save to throw the party for their kids. But in the end they always had a little extra ($10-20) to throw our way. I always said no first, but you never say no twice. They also took the best care of the equipment while they had it. And if there was something wrong they were quick to call. The rich people would cover stuff up or deny any wrong doing. In the end, the "poor" people would tip us because they appreciated it more. And numerous thank you's as well.
That comment on not saying no twice brought back memory of old retired woman who asked me to put her packages in garage and to take a dollar every time I came with a package for her. She kept a stack of 1 dollar bills on a table in the garage. I delivered for a couple of weeks when she confronted me about not taking the money ( she had deliveries just about every day) I informed her I was paid quite well for doing my job, but she read me the riot act for not taking her money. From that point on I did every time I showed up. Like you said she was very appreciated for what I did for her.

oldngray

nowhere special
That comment on not saying no twice brought back memory of old retired woman who asked me to put her packages in garage and to take a dollar every time I came with a package for her. She kept a stack of 1 dollar bills on a table in the garage. I delivered for a couple of weeks when she confronted me about not taking the money ( she had deliveries just about every day) I informed her I was paid quite well for doing my job, but she read me the riot act for not taking her money. From that point on I did every time I showed up. Like you said she was very appreciated for what I did for her.

I delivered to a retirement communitity (run by city for mostly low income people) where basically people go there to live until they die. Many of them never saw family and the UPS guy and mailman were about the only people they saw on a regular basis. They would give me little gifts that I didn't need but couldn't refuse without hurting their feelings. I would make a point to help them out when I delivered. I knew which ones were bed ridden or in a wheelchair or blind so would make extra effort because of that.

I delivered to a retirement communitity (run by city for mostly low income people) where basically people go there to live until they die. Many of them never saw family and the UPS guy and mailman were about the only people they saw on a regular basis. They would give me little gifts that I didn't need but couldn't refuse without hurting their feelings. I would make a point to help them out when I delivered. I knew which ones were bed ridden or in a wheelchair or blind so would make extra effort because of that.

There was a senior's building on my route. Instead of going to each apartment I'd go around to the cafeteria on the side at their lunch. Went in with a stack of boxes. Came out with a stack of cookies. They are always appreciative.

MethodsMan

The worst part of those ghetto routes is the unruly pitbulls that want to tear your flesh off because their owner is a huge :censored2: bag.

ZJ NOMAD

I've thought of this before and the only thing I could think of is if I had no money for all of our distractions what would you do? IE: cable, netflix, internet, games and such. Would you go sit in the kitchen and stare at the wall all night till you went to sleep? I think you would want to be entertained right? Sadly for these areas I think seeing a delivery truck going by and seeing other people sitting outside is far superior to the kitchen wall. Just my opinion of course.

This is so true! in our apartment complex you always see a bunch of kids, and adults hanging out outside on a daily basis. My kids rarely come out unless we are going some where. But my kids have the fastest internet in town, all gaming devices available, tablets, computers, a zillion LEGOS, and toys, and comfortable furniture,w /AC, the only time we come out is shopping, food, or baseball practice.