Elimination of District Admin Positions

BrownSuit

I know that there are a number of admins in various district offices that post here and just wanted to get thoughts on some of the recent position eliminations/reassignments.

Has this affected you or anybody in your district? If so, what do the different people find themselves doing that they weren't doing before?

I know a lot of these people are left over from the days of the 800 number actually routing you to a real live person in the district, which would make these changes even more difficult. Usually these folks are the ones that you would have gone to in the Districts if you wanted something done.

lorri47

Yes, There were several admin positions eliminated. Once your position was eliminated, there is a job selection process. All jobs held by temps are made available to those who no longer have a job. Of course, most of the jobs are not that desirable. Also a separation package was offered to some people whose job was not affected and those jobs became available for others. Those with the most seniority got the first picks in our district. There were no interviews to see if you had the skill for the job. That was crazy.
I noticed on this site that there are mostly union members. Are other non union positions welcomed here?

705red

Browncafe Steward
Yes, There were several admin positions eliminated. Once your position was eliminated, there is a job selection process. All jobs held by temps are made available to those who no longer have a job. Of course, most of the jobs are not that desirable. Also a separation package was offered to some people whose job was not affected and those jobs became available for others. Those with the most seniority got the first picks in our district. There were no interviews to see if you had the skill for the job. That was crazy.
I noticed on this site that there are mostly union members. Are other non union positions welcomed here?[/QUOTE]
Welcomed? Not really! But we do tolerate to a point!

j/k

BrownSuit

I noticed on this site that there are mostly union members. Are other non union positions welcomed here?

Yeah, that's kinda what I've been hearing/noticing. To be honest a few of the job functions seemed to be ones that were centralized a long time ago, but that doesn't make it any easier.

As for seniority, most of these people have been around since the Call Center days, aren't they getting close to retirement anyway? Wouldn't that just put somebody out for a year or two? I'm guessing the "undesirable" positions are at the hubs/centers or even in BD. Again, I realize this doesn't make things any easier, but . . .

As for the site, everybody is welcome, there are more union members than non-union members here in the states, so there naturally will be more discussions along those lines.

UPSERNOJ

I am also a non union employee. Started in the phone center in the district and moved around to various administrative positions. It is only a matter of time before the admin positions are eliminated altogether.

wisedragonfly

I am also a non union employee. Started in the phone center in the district and moved around to various administrative positions. It is only a matter of time before the admin positions are eliminated altogether.

I'm also an admin who started in the phone center. I agree with you 100%, UPSERNOJ! We will all be history before it's done and over with. I've been saying this for the last 10 years.

My district is also going through a downsize and absorbing the work from an abolished district.

It's quite overwhelming, to say the least! The work load has doubled! I'm doing 2 ft jobs and many other side duties, as well. I'm getting an estimate of 100+ emails a day, compared to 40-55. I'm inheriting all the problems from the abolished district. IT'S NOT FUN!! :angry-very2:

Transferred employee's are beginning to fill empty seats, but the work has not been redistributed yet. Districts working so different is making the transition cumbersome and very painful!

I have no complaints with my management team. They see what's going on... they listen to my concerns and try to make small adjustments. What more can they do? They're also overwhelmed, along with everyone else that's involved with the transition.

What do you think the reaction will be of package center managers from the abolished district, when they're told that they have to start taking on other responsibilities, in order to assimilate as one district?

Districts are different, it's a fact! This transition is not going to be pretty!!! :knockedout:

UPSERNOJ

It is rough, but don't mind the extra workload. Just happy I still have a job. I have a son starting college in September and did not get hardly anything from financial aid. I have two more kids following him. All we can all do is hope for the best and be thankful for the job we still have.

The direction the company is taking when it comes to non union employees has been in the plan for many years. It is not something that they just decided to do. It is just a matter of timing it all out.

Take care and hang in there!

wisedragonfly

It is rough, but don't mind the extra workload. Just happy I still have a job. I have a son starting college in September and did not get hardly anything from financial aid. I have two more kids following him. All we can all do is hope for the best and be thankful for the job we still have.

The direction the company is taking when it comes to non union employees has been in the plan for many years. It is not something that they just decided to do. It is just a matter of timing it all out.

Take care and hang in there!

I don't mind helping where needed, but at the moment my desk is on fire every single day and a bit overwhelming some days. :knockedout:

I keep telling myself that I will get over this hump soon and things will settle back down. :happy2:

I also love my job and grateful to be able to come to work. I'm hoping I can work at least 6 more years to hit 30 years of service, before they kick me out the door. :smart:

lorri47

Yes, I know what you mean about the extra workload. Our slogan is "Do More With Less!" I was one of the lucky ones. I was offered a separation package. I have the length of service and the age. Some of the admins only had a couple of years to go, but their job was gone. It is very sad. The management understand. They are also doing more with less. Plus they have to work overtime and not get compensated for it. Admins are not allowed to work the overtime. Just do it in 8 hours. Guess I'm getting out just in time!

wisedragonfly

Yes, I know what you mean about the extra workload. Our slogan is "Do More With Less!" I was one of the lucky ones. I was offered a separation package. I have the length of service and the age. Some of the admins only had a couple of years to go, but their job was gone. It is very sad. The management understand. They are also doing more with less. Plus they have to work overtime and not get compensated for it. Admins are not allowed to work the overtime. Just do it in 8 hours. Guess I'm getting out just in time!

Yes, our office worked out the same way, Lori. Some had years and age and took the separation package. Others had between 19 -23 years and their jobs were eliminated. At least UPS offered a fair separation package to those impacted.

Good Luck to you, Lori.

Braveheart

Yes, our office worked out the same way, Lori. Some had years and age and took the separation package. Others had between 19 -23 years and their jobs were eliminated. At least UPS offered a fair separation package to those impacted.

Good Luck to you, Lori.
What was the package.

Any specifics?

UPSERNOJ

I also love my job and grateful to be able to come to work. I'm hoping I can work at least 6 more years to hit 30 years of service, before they kick me out the door. :smart:[/QUOTE]

I need 6 more years to make 30, but will not have the age...Some people made off pretty well with the package. It wasn't bad...Turned it down myself. Not in a position to leave right now.

sweetpea

Ok admins beware-next time you are asked to write down your job duties, know that you will be next. Went thru 6 downsizing and got it on this last one-job eliminated and not offered another position-during the process I told the person heading up the team to eliminate the jobs that he was not doing it right (oh by the way he was from Atlanta and transferred into our region for this) many corporate complaints put in-he was replaced by someone else and they had to straighten out his mess-but by then alot of us were out-people with less seniority kept there jobs (we were absorbed by another district and treated like we were another company)-and the separation pkg-well it was ok but Uncle Sam took about 40% of it-so stop complaining about the extra work and start putting more money away for a rainy day-because UPS will be getting rid of all admins-sups and mgrs will take over their work-no I am not bitter because there is life after UPS and know that I will find another job-just didn't like how we were all treated in the end