Employee threatening anther employee

qdg2

Just didn’t know if it would be over dramatic to go to the cops but it seems like that’s what I’m going to have to do if management and union really won’t do anything
You do realize the union will actually have to DEFEND him? I have been told and saw many times that the union will NOT help a member lose their job.

Go to mgt. If they hesitate and dither.....cops. Tell them that.. If the guy loses his job......probably have to do that anyway.

542thruNthru

because the supervisor told both involved (even the person who didn't lift a finger), if he walked one person out, he'd have to walk both out. That's why I said stay away from him when you see him at work. Keep your distance.
This is what I mean by minimize liability. Company isn't going to be sympathetic. They will just go scorched earth if that's what they have to do and to hell with innocent casualties.

Nomnom

You do realize the union will actually have to DEFEND him? I have been told and saw many times that the union will NOT help a member lose their job.

Go to mgt. If they hesitate and dither.....cops. Tell them that.. If the guy loses his job......probably have to do that anyway.
No I did not realize they would defend him that’s interesting 🧐 should not protect someone that’s trying to harm one of their fellow brothers don’t even want to think about him loosing his job on what he would do

qdg2

The company is worried about liability. Depending on the center and the driver the center team may try and sweep it under the rug. Once it's passed center management the company really doesn't care who is at fault they will do what's best to minimize liability. If it means disciplining both parties then so be it in the companies eyes.
Absolutely. Maybe.

The OP has to be absolutely ready for any outcome.

Union last I'd go to. If at all. Maybe for written proof...to say the steward and BA. If anyone, they'll try to diffuse(sweep under the rug).....again, OP will have to actually help the people that are going to defend the perp.

542thruNthru

No I did not realize they would defend him that’s interesting 🧐 should not protect someone that’s trying to harm one of their fellow brothers don’t even want to think about him loosing his job on what he would do
Just curious... how old are you?

qdg2

With all respect....that's what they do all day....defend people.
You will be known as trying to take someone's job. You must know this.

Threats if proven...are a cardinal sin.....

Nomnom

With all respect....that's what they do all day....defend people.
You will be known as trying to take someone's job. You must know this.

Threats if proven...are a cardinal sin.....
I don’t want to take his job I just want him to stop talking to me and threatening me I don’t want to take anyone’s income that’s not me I just want to be left alone

Who to contact when an employee is threatening me and my family
I was gonna say you should contact said employee in the parking lot across the street, then I read through this a little more.

Whatever happens, make sure you sur for restitution citing "mental anguish" as well....good luck.

qdg2

If he's threatening you and your family, and you think it's credible, then no, it's not overdramatic to go to the police. If you're that scared, then do it.

UPS is weird on workplace violence. The only fight I've ever witnessed resulted in nothing happening, because the supervisor told both involved (even the person who didn't lift a finger), if he walked one person out, he'd have to walk both out. That's why I said stay away from him when you see him at work. Keep your distance.
Interesting. I could imagine it happened that way.

However, if the other guy "who didn't lift a finger".....(by your description in a one way fight...) was assaulted. Had to be. Otherwise it was an argument of some sort...So, you are saying......if a person is assaulted....they are going to be fired....no matter what happened?

And wouldn't you(if you are having to change your work place habits for threat of violence) be loud and clear to everyone....you are being threatened? So odd. I'd sure have my phone on voice and video record 24/7....especially at work....

Nah
However, if the other guy "who didn't lift a finger".....(by your description in a one way fight...) was assaulted. Had to be. Otherwise it was an argument of some sort...So, you are saying......if a person is assaulted....they are going to be fired....no matter what happened?
Yep. There was an argument, and a chick who usually is on the charge got into it with a preloader. She ended up grabbing a broom and whacking him a few times. Supervisor said if he pressed the matter he had to walk both out.

I don't know what would have happened if he insisted that he did no wrong and she should be disciplined, because both of them decided keeping their jobs was more important than being "right" in that scenario.

I don't like it, but that's what happened.

PT Car Washer

Yep. There was an argument, and a chick who usually is on the charge got into it with a preloader. She ended up grabbing a broom and whacking him a few times. Supervisor said if he pressed the matter he had to walk both out.

I don't know what would have happened if he insisted that he did no wrong and she should be disciplined, because both of them decided keeping their jobs was more important than being "right" in that scenario.

Yeah management will walk both out and let the grievance process settle the issue. I would talk to the Union and have them explain the consequences to the person.

Commercial Inside Release

UPS walks both parties out. You could have your hands full of cardboard, and get hit from behind, and they will still walk you out, suspended. You might win your hearing, but I doubt it.

Avoid the harasser, maybe he'll send more texts. If it goes on, and because he's threatening your family, just go to the cops and document it.

Management will do nothing good.
The union will probably make things worse.
HR & the 1-800 number, just puts a mark on your record, (even if you are innocent), to be used against you at any hearing.

They portray any 1-800 reports at your hearing as an "incident of conflict" and use it against you, to protect the company. The 800 line backfires all the time. People just don't hear about it, because by the time the hearings are settled, the suspended employee has been long gone.

qdg2

UPS walks both parties out. You could have your hands full of cardboard, and get hit from behind, and they will still walk you out, suspended. You might win your hearing, but I doubt it.

Avoid the harasser, maybe he'll send more texts. If it goes on, and because he's threatening your family, just go to the cops and document it.

Management will do nothing good.
The union will probably make things worse.
HR & the 1-800 number, just puts a mark on your record, (even if you are innocent), to be used against you at any hearing.

They portray any 1-800 reports at your hearing as an "incident of conflict" and use it against you, to protect the company. The 800 line backfires all the time. People just don't hear about it, because by the time the hearings are settled, the suspended employee has been long gone.
How about sexual assault? From behind with your "hands full"....? Serious question.

You create a one-way standard that could not be considered right or just.

Hard to believe.

These two outcomes are polar opposites.

Both scenarios victim blame and must "just take it".....really?

nWo

We had a situation where a pt teamster and a pt sup were not getting along. They were constantly irritating each other. The PT sup asked a ft sup to separate them. The ft sup refused. Then one day the pt sup kicked the Teamsters ass. Teamster didn't fight back and kept his job. Sup was fired.

If UPS management was competent they would have simply moved 1 guy to a different area. But management is full of a bunch of mouth breathers. So now the Teamster is getting a settlement.

HavenoEDD

Be aware of what this will do to your reputation with other drivers. The naive will look at it as you ended or tried to end a career of another over a few texts.

Whatever happened to people telling others how it is. If he’s upsetting you and causing a problem, go find him, look him in the eye and tell him what the issue is and to back off.

Then if he doesn’t then you tell him that you’re going to take things further. Tell your steward and they will talk to him and explain senority. If that doesn’t help things then you have to consider who you go to next.

In 20 years I’ve seen this situation a handful of times and management will not help you. The company will likely see you as a problem also (liability) as well and the union is going to defend anyone who is walked out.

Talk to the guy. Have the steward with you and that should end things.