Estar

It will be fine

Think about this , if a station had a 150 rts and contrary to popular believe we fill most our 900’s , 650’s and sprinters with boxes. That being said , let’s take a high number that works for ground more than express by saying you can merge 70 rts into ground trucks. That leaves ground with the need for at least 45- 50 trucks that needs drivers and at least double your handlers.
Sounds like a daunting task , no ?
Nope. Your argument doesn’t make a lick of sense.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
If one of the main purposes of Valet is to assign sort positions and start times it will have no effect at my location. We all start at the same time. As someone else mentioned, moving people around in the sort positions is very inefficient. There are some positions like the doc sort that you're better off having people with more on-the-job experience than others. There is a reason why new people start off unloading cans. This is why I said our station would probably pretend to follow it.
The main purpose of Valet is to reduce unproductive time. How it will work depends on the station, volume, number of employees, service area, and those kinds of things. Most of the gains come from altering start times. Take a station with a roller belt, for instance. Those who are at the very end of the belt will start later instead of standing there 5 to 10 minutes waiting on freight to roll down.

It takes some getting used to but once people stop fighting it for the sake of fighting it and learn to make proper use of it, it's not bad.

Small stations already pretend to do a lot of stuff, hence the reason they're so inefficient.

Guitarman01

The main purpose of Valet is to reduce unproductive time. How it will work depends on the station, volume, number of employees, service area, and those kinds of things. Most of the gains come from altering start times. Take a station with a roller belt, for instance. Those who are at the very end of the belt will start later instead of standing there 5 to 10 minutes waiting on freight to roll down.

It takes some getting used to but once people stop fighting it for the sake of fighting it and learn to make proper use of it, it's not bad.

Small stations already pretend to do a lot of stuff, hence the reason they're so inefficient.
Just to play devil's advocate once again, I see zero anti productiveness on the sort. If anything it's the opposite. Unproductive would be people loading trucks that aren't even in their loop. Unproductive would also include midday, estar, valet and the separation of ground from express. Just look at UPS as an example. I don't even think those guys load their own trucks. They just come in and go. FedEx has shot themselves in the foot so many times it's surprising they are still standing. They should be much more successful than what they currently are and they only have themselves to blame.

Buhryein

Just to play devil's advocate once again, I see zero anti productiveness on the sort. If anything it's the opposite. Unproductive would be people loading trucks that aren't even in their loop. Unproductive would also include midday, estar, valet and the separation of ground from express. Just look at UPS as an example. I don't even think those guys load their own trucks. They just come in and go. FedEx has shot themselves in the foot so many times it's surprising they are still standing. They should be much more successful than what they currently are and they only have themselves to blame.

Valet has me loading 5 trucks some days as opposed to loading 3 before, doing this some people have been cut off the sort entirely. 20+ year employees just barely making minimum because they are starting at sort down time. Does it make sense to the workers.. do we like it... nope, is it cutting hours.... yep. Like it or not it'll likely happen at your station as well.

FalconAss

This makes total sense but will stations actually use it. I never saw Dynamic Roads in use, Roads labels with loading info on them, ESTAR is ignored. I mean these Valet display monitors have been in our check out room for over 2 years and never once been used. I get the feeling that is just another Memphis toy that has good intentions and possibilities but gets ignored because managers don't want to fight with the bitching and moaning and friends they were couriers with back in the day.

Serf

I heard today Estar has basically thrown in the towel, 100% failed Mission and will not be retuning ever!
We heard the same thing. Which is actually astonishing. Only FedEx would spend an asinine amount of money on something that you would install on day 0 and say: “who created this cataclysmic cluster friend @ ck?” And pair that in with Valet sort functions, which essentially will be scrapped too.

fatboy33

We heard the same thing. Which is actually astonishing. Only FedEx would spend an asinine amount of money on something that you would install on day 0 and say: “who created this cataclysmic cluster friend @ ck?” And pair that in with Valet sort functions, which essentially will be scrapped too.
I've been here long enough to remember couriers killing routes. Most couriers put in the work. A swing could come onto a route and, try and cheat as he may, he couldn't produce the numbers the regular driver did. Once they got rid of the carrot on the stick SPH program, some people slowed down. And when the newer generation(Not all) got into the truck, SPH slowed to a crawl. Not only that but they were getting away with going slow. Some of us wondered if there was a huge lawsuit nobody knew about...sort of like the Domino's pizza were they had to stop guaranteeing a free pizza due to late delivery because the drivers were a danger on the road and the company had to pay out in court. Some say when the swings began coming in 1 to 2 hours early than the regular drivers and nothing was done about it. Bring back check rides because looking at a sheet of paper isn't going to tell the true story. Lazy couriers will create stops. Managers should be telling couriers to take splits if the work isn't there. I take 90 minute lunches if, the work isn't there. Guys know when they're stealing from the company and the couriers who have eyes see it as well.

vantexan

I've been here long enough to remember couriers killing routes. Most couriers put in the work. A swing could come onto a route and, try and cheat as he may, he couldn't produce the numbers the regular driver did. Once they got rid of the carrot on the stick SPH program, some people slowed down. And when the newer generation(Not all) got into the truck, SPH slowed to a crawl. Not only that but they were getting away with going slow. Some of us wondered if there was a huge lawsuit nobody knew about...sort of like the Domino's pizza were they had to stop guaranteeing a free pizza due to late delivery because the drivers were a danger on the road and the company had to pay out in court. Some say when the swings began coming in 1 to 2 hours early than the regular drivers and nothing was done about it. Bring back check rides because looking at a sheet of paper isn't going to tell the true story. Lazy couriers will create stops. Managers should be telling couriers to take splits if the work isn't there. I take 90 minute lunches if, the work isn't there. Guys know when they're stealing from the company and the couriers who have eyes see it as well.
Saw a lot of that too. Often it was couriers who were buddies with the mgr. He'd come down on everyone else while letting his buddies get away with milking. The other thing I noticed was they were having so much trouble keeping young part timers that often on Friday nights they'd dump pickups on full timers who had worked 10+ hrs already while letting the part time pick up drivers go home early to keep them happy. Knew we wouldn't quit over it.

Guitarman01

Long lunches only seem feasible and make sense if you can go to your house. A 90 minute lunch at taco Bell or sitting in your van would be pretty ridiculous on a rural rte. It's a reason a lot were upset with forced hr breaks going past 8 hours, although I don't think that's been enforced at all recently as long as you're not out there messing around.

FedupExpress

Over here in California, the managers will throw toddler tantrums if you don't 2nd break after 8 hours

Even though it's officially stated after 10 hrs to avoid a meal violation

They want to pinch pennies, cheapest gas available etc.

Which doesn't make sense to me

They are cutting part timer hours and having full timers come in for overtime on Saturdays

As a result of the part timers quitting because they are not getting enough hours

FedupExpress

Everyone seems to think our station is untouchable because we are big

Is the time-line jun1 24 or is that when they will start collapsing everything?