Estimate Calculator

upsworm

I was told that Service Pension Credit is not the same as Service Credit. After work at least 25 years with 1801 hours, then you can get Service Pension Credit as long as you have at least 1 hour a week for 40 weeks. Atlanta said that a lot of older workers don't work everyday. This is stressing me out because I can't get my 1801 hours now. I've taken too much time off, but my counselor in Atlanta said I didn't need to worry. OF course, if she is wrong it will only effect me, not her!

Ms.PacMan

I have always viewed the difference between Service Credit and Service Credit Pension like this - the Service Credit is how many years you have credit for (the 1 hour for 40 weeks = 1 year of service) and determines if you are eligible to retire. The Service Pension Credit is the number of hours you worked and is how they figure out what your pension is worth.

You may get a year credit for minimal time worked but you won't get the money for a whole year unless you meet the 1801 hr minimum. So even if someone is eligible to retire at 30 yrs they may not get the full amount.

Anyone else think differently about this?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Ours is a defined benefit pension plan which requires only 1000 hours for a year of pension credit. Your pension will not increase based on the number of hours that you work. If you reach the number of years requirement but do not meet the number of hours per year requirement you will have to work beyond your 30 years before you will be eligible to retire. This happens most often with drivers who like to take "dead days". We had one retiree who was shocked when she learned she had to work 6 more months.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Our annual pension statements are all based on hours worked, with a minimum 1000 hours needed for a year of FT pension credit. I personally feel that number is way too low and should be at least 1800---this could cut down on the number of dead days drivers take.
All depends on where u work. My local its 1 day a month. You work 1 day and ups pays the union a months worth of health and welfare funds. Only local in the country like this as far as I know.

screamin chicken

how does it work out if you work less then 8 on a average, I know I get paid for 8 but my check usually have a min. of 3 hrs a week for guaranteed pay....