Ethical Dilemma

Meat

I have recently been made aware that a driver has been stowing an IMac in his truck that must have come in without a label. It seems his intention is to abscond with the item after peak.

I checked with the CSA who does the quality control stuff, and the SIPS report is clean for that date, so they will probably get away with the theft unless somebody says something.

I’m a little apprehensive because I don’t get along very well with the driver involved (I’m pro-company and pro-management and he hates working for X, even though he has been with the company over 12 years), and he and his buddies kind of control the “locker room”.

I want to say something, but I’m worried that I would be subject to vindictive acts, as it would be assumed I was the one that turned him in.

Any thoughts as to how this should be handled?

MassWineGuy

First, you HAVE TO say something re: being able to trust those you work with. Who’s to say this person will stop with an iPhone?

You can’t be all pro company because you still work there and know what goes on. But that aside, I would go to the manager who you trust and get along with the best. If it’s true, and it sounds like it is, the guy won’t be around to take vindictive acts. As for his thug friends, truck em. (Don’t actually mean truck) If you don’t report someone stealing, you are equally at fault.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I have recently been made aware that a driver has been stowing an IMac in his truck that must have come in without a label. It seems his intention is to abscond with the item after peak.

I checked with the CSA who does the quality control stuff, and the SIPS report is clean for that date, so they will probably get away with the theft unless somebody says something.

I’m a little apprehensive because I don’t get along very well with the driver involved (I’m pro-company and pro-management and he hates working for X, even though he has been with the company over 12 years), and he and his buddies kind of control the “locker room”.

I want to say something, but I’m worried that I would be subject to vindictive acts, as it would be assumed I was the one that turned him in.

Any thoughts as to how this should be handled?

This is a troll, but I'll bite because it's a "real life scenario". Is this from Philosophy 101 or Ethics class?

Slip a note under management's door with the pertinent information and nothing that ties you to it. Beyond that, it's up to them.

At one station I delivered to (CTV run), they found a courier who had a garage full of phones, computers, and electronics. It took them 2 years, but he was finally fired.

Not prosecuted, however. FedEx doesn't wan't the public thinking it has a theft problem, which it definitely does.

Meat

If you don’t report someone stealing, you are equally at fault.

That’s a little extreme.

I wouldn’t go as far to say my personal safety will be at risk, but my quality of life at work will definitely go down, which could adversely affect my health over the course of my career (I’m Fedex for life, so that’s going to be a LONG time).

rod

Retired 22 years
Snitches get stiches ---MYOB. You've known about this long enough without reporting it that now you have become associated with it.

Meat

Snitches get stiches ---MYOB. You've known about this long enough without reporting it that now you have become associated with it.

Mr. FedEx once stated he completed a drug deal while working for X because he was worried about the consequences of reporting it. How is this different? You have to consider your own personal well being.

bbsam

Staff member
What are you HONEST thoughts? Do you feel obligated for the company’s sake? Or do you want to bitch slap the a hole?

You’re the only one who can answer this and it’s up to you to decide which is the motivation and if you’re comfortable with that motivation.

Meat

Personally, I’d leave it alone. He’ll get his one day. They always do.

I was kind of thinking that once he connected the computer to the internet, it would trigger some sort of warranty registration that might flag the item as stolen.

I’ll probably just leave it alone.

fedx

Extra Large Package
I was kind of thinking that once he connected the computer to the internet, it would trigger some sort of warranty registration that might flag the item as stolen.

I read that something like this happened to a UPS driver who kept a pre-released copy of some Microsoft game that he kept from his package car. When he went to sign on, it send the disc info to Microsoft and they ended up tracing his ip address and he got arrested and was fired. The game was some pre-release and there were only limited quantities of it and Microsoft traced it. So I would imagine Apple might be able to trace it down too once it's registered as lost. I'm sure they have the serial number in their database and will locate it when the guy tries to set it up.

rod

Retired 22 years

Good choice.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Mr. FedEx once stated he completed a drug deal while working for X because he was worried about the consequences of reporting it. How is this different? You have to consider your own personal well being.

True. Rather than be a target for the perp/customer I would frequently complete drug deliveries and pickups. Sometimes, Security would want me to complete a delivery of a discovered drug package and then have the cops come in and make the arrest. I never complied, and they would have to loan the PD a uniform and truck so they could do it.

It isn't worth your life.

bacha29

Personally, I’d leave it alone. He’ll get his one day. They always do.
I agree. It sounds like at failure at security/loss prevention. It will eventually be discovered and if it has been going on for a long time then let those getting paid to keep people honest deal with the fallout.

barnyard

KTM rider
There was a county employee in Morrison county, Mn that was selling new Iphones on ebay. Turns out they were upgrades for county employees that the employees did not want. She got caught when Verizon turned her in. They were wondering why county phones were registering all over the country.
Apple did not seem to care.