European Vacation Suggestions >On Topic Only Please<

Overpaid Union Thug

Has anyone on the forum vacationed in Europe? I need suggestions from anyone that has already done this. I have no problem with involving a travel agent but I always try to save money whenever I can.

This summer I have two consecutive weeks blocked off for vacation. My wife and I want to take the kids to Europe but can't decide how to piece it all together without breaking the bank. Airline tickets to get over there and back aren't the issue since we already have money set aside for that. Right now we're looking at starting out in London and taking the "Chunnel" over to the mainland and working our way around on buses or trains and flying back over from somewhere other than London.

The problem is we want to go to Barcelona, Spain but it's kind of out of the way. The more I look at the scenarios the more it seems like we'll be spending too much time on buses and not enough exploring the areas we're supposed to be vacationing in. We might have to cross Spain off the list. But England, Germany, and anything in between in still on the table. We don't care about beaches (but wouldn't hesitate to partake) since those are abundant on our side of the pond. Suggestions or experiences are welcome.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Take one of those Mediterranean cruises.
Cruising is always a good bang for your buck. And you hit a lot of ports

Overpaid Union Thug

Take one of those Mediterranean cruises.
Cruising is always a good bang for your buck. And you hit a lot of ports
I don't have the sea legs for a cruise. I wish I did. I actually used to get sick ANYTIME we'd travel as a kid. We lived in Germany for 3 years (Army brat) and the only time I didn't get sick was when we were on a tour bus. Planes still mess me up a little bit but I don't sick from it. At worst a massive headache/ear ache. I had bad ear infections as a toddler and it still affects me.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Has anyone on the forum vacationed in Europe? I need suggestions from anyone that has already done this. I have no problem with involving a travel agent but I always try to save money whenever I can.

This summer I have two consecutive weeks blocked off for vacation. My wife and I want to take the kids to Europe but can't decide how to piece it all together without breaking the bank. Airline tickets to get over there and back aren't the issue since we already have money set aside for that. Right now we're looking at starting out in London and taking the "Chunnel" over to the mainland and working our way around on buses or trains and flying back over from somewhere other than London.

The problem is we want to go to Barcelona, Spain but it's kind of out of the way. The more I look at the scenarios the more it seems like we'll be spending too much time on buses and not enough exploring the areas we're supposed to be vacationing in. We might have to cross Spain off the list. But England, Germany, and anything in between in still on the table. We don't care about beaches (but wouldn't hesitate to partake) since those are abundant on our side of the pond. Suggestions or experiences are welcome.
My sister is a travel agent and has been all over Europe many times. She said she’s heard a lot about Thomas Cook Travel Agency over there.

rod

Retired 22 years
My wife took a Viking River cruise on the Danube river last year and really enjoyed it. Maybe she just enjoyed being away from me.

over9five

Staff member
We have one booked for May 2020. Starts in Barcelona, hits several Italy ports, Croatia, Malta...ummm, I forget the others. Its gonna rock!
Barcelona Spain, Livorno Italy, Civitavecchia Italy, Naples Italy, Dubrovnik Croatia, Kotor Montenegro, Corfu Greece, Messina Sicily, Valletta Malta, Barcelona.