European Vacation Suggestions >On Topic Only Please<

Discussion in 'Life After Brown' started by Overpaid Union Thug, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Overpaid Union Thug

Overpaid Union Thug Well-Known Member

Has anyone on the forum vacationed in Europe? I need suggestions from anyone that has already done this. I have no problem with involving a travel agent but I always try to save money whenever I can.

This summer I have two consecutive weeks blocked off for vacation. My wife and I want to take the kids to Europe but can't decide how to piece it all together without breaking the bank. Airline tickets to get over there and back aren't the issue since we already have money set aside for that. Right now we're looking at starting out in London and taking the "Chunnel" over to the mainland and working our way around on buses or trains and flying back over from somewhere other than London.

The problem is we want to go to Barcelona, Spain but it's kind of out of the way. The more I look at the scenarios the more it seems like we'll be spending too much time on buses and not enough exploring the areas we're supposed to be vacationing in. We might have to cross Spain off the list. But England, Germany, and anything in between in still on the table. We don't care about beaches (but wouldn't hesitate to partake) since those are abundant on our side of the pond. Suggestions or experiences are welcome.

2. silenze

silenze Lunch is the best part of the day

Take one of those Mediterranean cruises.
    Cruising is always a good bang for your buck. And you hit a lot of ports

3. Overpaid Union Thug

I don't have the sea legs for a cruise. I wish I did. I actually used to get sick ANYTIME we'd travel as a kid. We lived in Germany for 3 years (Army brat) and the only time I didn't get sick was when we were on a tour bus. Planes still mess me up a little bit but I don't sick from it. At worst a massive headache/ear ache. I had bad ear infections as a toddler and it still affects me.

4. silverbullet2893

silverbullet2893 Great job!

Never been, but I really want to go on one of those WWII tours. They’re just super expensive.

5. silverbullet2893

silverbullet2893 Great job!

Know a couple people who have been to Germany and said it’s amazing.

6. Operational needs

Operational needs Virescit Vulnere Virtus

My sister is a travel agent and has been all over Europe many times. She said she’s heard a lot about Thomas Cook Travel Agency over there.

7. 1BROWNWRENCH

1BROWNWRENCH Amateur Malthusian

It used to be better.

8. over9five

over9five Moderator Staff Member

We have one booked for May 2020. Starts in Barcelona, hits several Italy ports, Croatia, Malta...ummm, I forget the others. Its gonna rock!

9. rod

rod retired and happy

My wife took a Viking River cruise on the Danube river last year and really enjoyed it. Maybe she just enjoyed being away from me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. Overpaid Union Thug

Croatia has become a very popular destination.

11. 1BROWNWRENCH

1BROWNWRENCH Amateur Malthusian

Albania?

12. Operational needs

Operational needs Virescit Vulnere Virtus

I’ve read they have some beautiful beaches plus a lot of castles.

13. BSWALKS

BSWALKS Toe to Toes

Check into Ryanair and Easyjet for cheap flights between countries.

14. retiredTxfeeder

retiredTxfeeder cap'n crunch

My daughter in law was born in Germany and lived there many years before moving to Texas. I'll check with her when I see her.

15. over9five

over9five Moderator Staff Member

Barcelona Spain, Livorno Italy, Civitavecchia Italy, Naples Italy, Dubrovnik Croatia, Kotor Montenegro, Corfu Greece, Messina Sicily, Valletta Malta, Barcelona.

16. BSWALKS

BSWALKS Toe to Toes

You better start getting more than 30 minutes overtime. :teethy:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. Overpaid Union Thug

That might be an option to cover the distance between Barcelona and mainland Europe.