New Southern Supplement Language: Weekly Route Bids *on topic only*

turq

Not sure about this contract, but in the past if you bid to cover on a route that the driver was out...let's say an injury, that route was yours until the driver gets back. In other words it only goes up for bid once, and not every week. Just a little trick for some cover drivers to get a route.

542thruNthru

Not sure about this contract, but in the past if you bid to cover on a route that the driver was out...let's say an injury, that route was yours until the driver gets back. In other words it only goes up for bid once, and not every week. Just a little trick for some cover drivers to get a route.

This would depend on your supplmental/rider. Ours go up every week.

turq

Are you sure for an injury? I believe it was in the master. I know because i used it....granted almost 20 years ago. Also in my center if you don't bid to cover management assigns you where they want. Now you can complain and call seniority on someone. That will usually work, but there is no daily bidding or anything like that.

turq

Actually just looked it up page 188 of the old master agreement. Basically says once you bid to cover a route, you are on that route for the duration/until the driver comes back. And you are not able to bid on another route. It doesn't say anything about injury for some reason.

542thruNthru

Are you sure for an injury? I believe it was in the master. I know because i used it....granted almost 20 years ago. Also in my center if you don't bid to cover management assigns you where they want. Now you can complain and call seniority on someone. That will usually work, but there is no daily bidding or anything like that.

To my knowledge there is no bid language in the master. To many areas have completely different language.

If you can find it though I'd like to read it.

542thruNthru

Actually just looked it up page 188 of the old master agreement. Basically says once you bid to cover a route, you are on that route for the duration/until the driver comes back. And you are not able to bid on another route. It doesn't say anything about injury for some reason.

The master doesn't go to page 188. That must be a supplement you're reading. Master ends at 175

ManInBrown

center manager tried to deny me bumping someone because it was last minute after the PCM. I worked as directed and shoved a grievance right up his arse. I miss the free money in package. Feeder is so laid back and chill there’s nothing to file on. Buddy saw a coyote pulling a load last summer. Wrote trailernumber down and told Stewey. Got a check a few months later. I gotta keep my eyes out on the road

Overpaid Union Thug

I don’t recall the article or exact language but I think the route had to be vacant (for whatever reason, usually due to an injury or military service) 45 days before it went up for bid.

Last edited:

Overpaid Union Thug

center manager tried to deny me bumping someone because it was last minute after the PCM. I worked as directed and shoved a grievance right up his arse. I miss the free money in package. Feeder is so laid back and chill there’s nothing to file on. Buddy saw a coyote pulling a load last summer. Wrote trailernumber down and told Stewey. Got a check a few months later. I gotta keep my eyes out on the road

That grievance is exactly how I would hit them back for forcing me on routes I didn't want so a newer driver could stay on that one route they know. The problem is that it only works if you finish the route before they do. And preferably much earlier. But those newer drivers tend to run and skip lunch and get in super early. Which makes it impossible to file on the difference in pay.

Brownt10

So, the new language basically says that bid routes with drivers on vacation (scheduled off the whole week) the following week will be posted the Tuesday before and the bids will be taken down on Thursday. For some reason our center hasn’t started that yet (or the new 9.5 language but that’s another topic) so I was wondering how it was working out for those of you, if any, that have already started that.

Since the last contract (Southern) mandated that most routes be bid I figured it would reduce the amount of unassigned drivers congregating in front of the manning board and maybe also reduce the last minute bumps by those dreaded drivers that show up just in time to toss a wrench in the assignments. I like that it potentially forces top coverage drivers to have to chose between covering a route they “can live with” all that week and risking having nothing but junk to choose from everyday. Anyone seeing this yet?
Just so you know the south lost in the civil war