Excessive Backing?

Ouch

[="boxhandler, post: 1275271, member: 38565"]"Trying to get done" is because I love me kids more than I like my customers. I am a single dad of two great boys and would rather be home with them in the evenings not driving a big brown coffin.

Sent using BrownCafe App[/quote]
I dont want you to take this the wrong way but here goes. You have the absolute worse job in the world to be a single dad that wants to spend time with his kids. You will miss ball games, Christmas programs, graduations, and numerous events in their life. No matter what time you get done there is always something else to do. If you think they will not ask you to make a pick up or help someone on the night of a play or program your children are having you are sadly mistaken. We gave you some replies on your post which obviously you didn't like. Running and gunning to try and get off early will either get you Iinjured or in an accident. The more you do the more they expect. If you run it by orion and by the methods they will have no choice than to lighten the work load or send you help every day cause you can't get done. Go ahead and run it will not last long.

Ouch

Your question is, can he do anything to me about my backing? The answer is yes. If he has had a documented talk with you about excessive backing and then you have a backing accident then yes that starts the progressive discipline.

Back first

This is what I do to cut down on backing. I get a little speed then I pop it into neutral. Telematics doesn't register when in neutral. Lots of drivers do it in my center.

Thebrownstreak

I'm no longer in the game after taking a buyout from UPS. That being said, I was brought up to the office pretty much every other month to be talked about my backing. I said to them, in the grand scheme of things its up to me to decide when i think I need to back. If that is 5 times or 65 times a day, its my choice. They couldn't do anything to me. SO screw them. Back however many times you feel necessary.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Your question is, can he do anything to me about my backing? The answer is yes. If he has had a documented talk with you about excessive backing and then you have a backing accident then yes that starts the progressive discipline.
1. The company cannot pull a random number out of its ass, proclaim that number to be the "allowable" number of backs for a given route, and then discipline the driver for exceeding it.
2. A warning letter will be issued for a backing accident, regardless of whether or not the driver was talked to about backing and regardless of the number of backs he may have done on that day.

boxhandler

Thank you again. But this time the use of the word if is key. The world is full of "if". If the dog didn't stop to take a crap he would have caught the rabbit. (That's one of my personal favorites)

Sent using BrownCafe App

boxhandler

[="boxhandler, post: 1275271, member: 38565"]"Trying to get done" is because I love me kids more than I like my customers. I am a single dad of two great boys and would rather be home with them in the evenings not driving a big brown coffin.

Sent using BrownCafe App
I dont want you to take this the wrong way but here goes. You have the absolute worse job in the world to be a single dad that wants to spend time with his kids. You will miss ball games, Christmas programs, graduations, and numerous events in their life. No matter what time you get done there is always something else to do. If you think they will not ask you to make a pick up or help someone on the night of a play or program your children are having you are sadly mistaken. We gave you some replies on your post which obviously you didn't like. Running and gunning to try and get off early will either get you Iinjured or in an accident. The more you do the more they expect. If you run it by orion and by the methods they will have no choice than to lighten the work load or send you help every day cause you can't get done. Go ahead and run it will not last long.[/quote]
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1392415183.315995.jpg
I'm more about being efficient that running and gunning. That's the reason for the backing instead of the other. But thanx for judging my work style without knowing it. And don't take this the wrong way but I wanted my boys. They were not accidents I will do anything to be there for them and show them that they can always count on dad.

Everyone has an opinion. Like it or not this is mine.

giggity

wait until they hit you with 'your name is on the back first exceptions report'. and then you realize that you have to drive 500 FEET before you can 'legally' put it into reverse again. that's almost 1/0 of a mile ... I try to back first, but sometimes it's not possible.

boxhandler

wait until they hit you with 'your name is on the back first exceptions report'. and then you realize that you have to drive 500 FEET before you can 'legally' put it into reverse again. that's almost 1/0 of a mile ... I try to back first, but sometimes it's not possible.
This has been their new kick here too. So that's my new question when he tells me I need to try and cut it down. "Were any back first exceptions? No? Ok"

Everyone has an opinion. Like it or not this is mine.

My courage comes from doing what I believe is right for me. Not being a chimp with a DIAD and doing what they say is the way when I know it's stupid. Sorry I don't get paid enough to give bad service and be stupid.

Sent using BrownCafe App
You need to set your mind free friend. It's time to understand you work at the big brown machine. You work for ups. You are a good husband and father if you still get home at 7:30. You are a man and you work as directed. You aren't in business for yourself. You follow their rules and you beat them at your own game. You get on the 9.5 list you take your 8 hour requests. You alway say I can't when they ask you to help. I'm not trying to disrespect you my friend I'm just speaking from a lot of experience. It's time to take the red pill.

L

Lizzzow

I remember when at our center a year or so ago they went on the "backing" tirade. My sup had some issues about my backing, because everyday I made the top 5 list. I told him to give me a truck with power steering and I'll whip around all those culdesacs a lot easier! Not a word from him again.

I remember when at our center a year or so ago they went on the "backing" tirade. My sup had some issues about my backing, because everyday I made the top 5 list. I told him to give me a truck with power steering and I'll whip around all those culdesacs a lot easier! Not a word from him again.
You must have gotten the truck.

OptimusPrime

The rules are worded so we always lose. This was done intentionally. "When you play the game of package car you either lose or you die!"

BrownArmy

Four mirrors and and a back-up camera.

I back-up whenever I need to.

Never heard a word.

Sometimes they cry (generally) about backing distance, but I back into docks, or to turn around in a cul-de-sac, etc.

No worries, just do your job.

Isn't it funny how they like to call us 'Professional Drivers' in a PCM when they're comparing us to the other yahoos on the road, but you back up a few more times than some non-driver in a cubicle deems necessary, and all of a sudden, you're a risk.

I don't back up if I don't need to - it's true, it's often less time or not much more time to walk it off than to do an unnecessary back.

There are however necessary backs, so complete them, and don't hit anything, no problem.

Ask them to ride with you, 99% at each specific instance, they'll tell you, 'oh yeah, of course you have to back here"...

I see some of the sups riding around town, it's like 'Fast and Furious'.

Do as they say, not as they do...

Lulz.

Ouch

[quotxhandler, post: 1275372, member: 38565"]I dont want you to take this the wrong way but here goes. You have the absolute worse job in the world to be a single dad that wants to spend time with his kids. You will miss ball games, Christmas programs, graduations, and numerous events in their life. No matter what time you get done there is always something else to do. If you think they will not ask you to make a pick up or help someone on the night of a play or program your children are having you are sadly mistaken. We gave you some replies on your post which obviously you didn't like. Running and gunning to try and get off early will either get you Iinjured or in an accident. The more you do the more they expect. If you run it by orion and by the methods they will have no choice than to lighten the work load or send you help every day cause you can't get done. Go ahead and run it will not last long.[/quote]
View attachment 11250I'm more about being efficient that running and gunning. That's the reason for the backing instead of the other. But thanx for judging my work style without knowing it. And don't take this the wrong way but I wanted my boys. They were not accidents I will do anything to be there for them and show them that they can always count on dad.

Everyone has an opinion. Like it or not this is mine.[/quote]
Okay first of all I'm not judging your ability to parent. I was a single dad with custody of my son. My son was no accident and I'm really not sure how that even got brought up. I simply stated facts. Their will be times you miss programs or games. That is the nature of the beast. As far as your question about backing I answered it. If they have documented a talk with you about backing and you have a backing accident then progressive discipline will follow. Now get off your macho high horse and learn to take advice from someone that's been there. Your not the only single father that has worked at ups. If you don't like the answers you get here, don't post the questions. I'm still unsure how your parenting ability and if your boys were
accidents or not got brought into this conversation.