Excessive Backing?

Ouch

e="soberups, post: 1275339, member: 14668"]1. The company cannot pull a random number out of its ass, proclaim that number to be the "allowable" number of backs for a given route, and then discipline the driver for exceeding it.
2. A warning letter will be issued for a backing accident, regardless of whether or not the driver was talked to about backing and regardless of the number of backs he may have done on that day.[/quote]
Thats what I was saying. Nothing about numbers but the progressive discipline. If he has a talk with on file and then has an accident that's 2 strikes. I would really pay attention on the backs and sups doing on area observations. If they pull his telematics and see excessive backing they can pull him in the office. It's their game not mine. If they tell me not to back I will work as instructed and if it takes me longer it takes me longer. I'm just shooting straight with the guy.

boxhandler

Hey boxhandler i dont think any answer you get will satisfy you. So why did you ask?
That is where you are wrong. I asked a question and there are answers to that question in this thread. However you gave a hypothetical management answer. Not an answer. You and I obviously will not see eye to eye on this cheers

Everyone has an opinion. Like it or not this is mine.

Ouch

No my answer was a steward answer as to what will happen to you. I am a steward and have represented many like you. Most have been driving 3 to 5 years. Eventually it will catch up to you. You will be on here trying to figure out how to get your job back after you have backed into a stationary object. That hypothetical enough for ya?

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
No my answer was a steward answer as to what will happen to you. I am a steward and have represented many like you. Most have been driving 3 to 5 years. Eventually it will catch up to you. You will be on here trying to figure out how to get your job back after you have backed into a stationary object. That hypothetical enough for ya?

EXCELLENT!
the OP reminds me of some of the younger drivers in my center: Run,dont work safely,ignoring rules they dont like and feel like management LOVES them because they maintain a high SPORH and scratch the routes by an hour or more everyday. Then they knob up and have an accident or injury and just cant understand why their best -buddy-supervisor isnt going to bat for them

boxhandler

Lol ya either that or your clairvoyant. I've been driving package for 8 and tractor trailer for 16. I'm not a rookie and I bless your passion it is a wonderful thing to have. Thank you for your advise I will keep it in mind. Cheers

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
EXCELLENT!
the OP reminds me of some of the younger drivers in my center: Run,dont work safely,ignoring rules they dont like and feel like management LOVES them because they maintain a high SPORH and scratch the routes by an hour or more everyday. Then they knob up and have an accident or injury and just cant understand why their best -buddy-supervisor isnt going to bat for them
We were all there at one point. I would say 99% of us were runners for our first few years. Then you have an accident or realize your reward is more work and you start being safer.

I was there once I try to give my advice to all the new drivers. Most think they are different and it'll never happen to them. A few listen. One listening makes it worth it.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
That is where you are wrong. I asked a question and there are answers to that question in this thread. However you gave a hypothetical management answer. Not an answer. You and I obviously will not see eye to eye on this cheers

Ok you agreed with me earlier and I almost posted this earlier after reading your replies.

You didn't come on here looking for opinions. You came on here looking for people to agree with you.

jaker

trolling
Lol ya either that or your clairvoyant. I've been driving package for 8 and tractor trailer for 16. I'm not a rookie and I bless your passion it is a wonderful thing to have. Thank you for your advise I will keep it in mind. Cheers

If you been with ups that long then why are you on here asking , you should no the answer with all your years service

jaker

trolling
If you been with ups that long then why are you on here asking , you should no the answer with all your years service
Should know , I can't tell you if I just used the wrong word or spell check screwed me because I got home at 830 at already had 4 rum and cokes

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We were all there at one point. I would say 99% of us were runners for our first few years. Then you have an accident or realize your reward is more work and you start being safer.

I was there once I try to give my advice to all the new drivers. Most think they are different and it'll never happen to them. A few listen. One listening makes it worth it.

When you were young did you listen to advice given by an old timer?

We had a casual driver fired on Thursday. He had already been fired once for sexually harassing his (female) helper during Peak, was brought back with a "last chance" deal to work the metro and drive as needed, switched to the preload. He was on road on Wednesday, had two packages that he didn't sheet and asked our metro 22.3 to "bury with the send agains", also had a concern over a missed call tag pickup and one for an argument with a customer. Was given a chance to fess up about the two packages, lied and was subsequently fired.

Back to the thread---a few years ago (pre-Telematics) we were given a challenge to reduce our backs by counting the number of backs that we made during the day. I think I had 51 and have to admit I was surprised it was that high. I have brought that down to an average of around 30 per day with 2 or fewer BFE's each day.

Yes, most of us are professional drivers, but even the most professional of us can find a way to back less often (without driving around the block to do so).

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
A lot of us are now using neutral to back if on a incline. It doesn't show on the report.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
The other day they chastised me for too many backs and that I needed to improve. The next day they were oh so happy that I had reduced the number. I then thanked them for giving me 20 less stops. They were not amused.

OPTION3

EXCELLENT!
No…they knob up ……then beatch that the UNION isn't helping them and the steward is lazy….ball--lickers