Excessive Backing?

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
One of our On road sups said a few months ago, that putting the truck into reverse, or just rolling back BOTH will register.

He said that Telematics measures when you travel backwards, that it doesn't matter HOW you travel backwards
I don't encourage or condone trying to trick the system. Be honest and transparent. That being said I'll clear up a couple things about backing and telematics.
1. The system does not register a back until you have been in reverse for 3 seconds. This is necessary or else when you shift out of park through reverse intro drive it would register a back every time you start up your truck.
2. Neutral does not show up as a back so it doesn't go into your backing mileage, backing counts or back first exceptions. The system does allow them to see what gear you are in though (not on a report). We had a center manager ask a steward last year why a driver was in neutral so much.
3. You only show up as a back first exception after hitting stop complete. If you stop your truck, get out to open the barn doors then start the truck up backing up to the dock immediately after turning it on, it doesn't register as back first exception because you didn't complete a stop. Now if after doing that you have to deliver to another dock 50 feet away and back again it will throw the exception.

If you just safely back when you need to, don't try to hide anything and be honest it's not an issue.

Indecisi0n

I don't encourage or condone trying to trick the system. Be honest and transparent. That being said I'll clear up a couple things about backing and telematics.
1. The system does not register a back until you have been in reverse for 3 seconds. This is necessary or else when you shift out of park through reverse intro drive it would register a back every time you start up your truck.
2. Neutral does not show up as a back so it doesn't go into your backing mileage, backing counts or back first exceptions. The system does allow them to see what gear you are in though (not on a report). We had a center manager ask a steward last year why a driver was in neutral so much.
3. You only show up as a back first exception after hitting stop complete. If you stop your truck, get out to open the barn doors then start the truck up backing up to the dock immediately after turning it on, it doesn't register as back first exception because you didn't complete a stop. Now if after doing that you have to deliver to another dock 50 feet away and back again it will throw the exception.

If you just safely back when you need to, don't try to hide anything and be honest it's not an issue.

So If I stop complete at house #1, then drive two houses down to house #2(under 50ft) and back into their driveway that's a back first?

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
If your ORION setup is truly that bad just turn the damn thing off, do your job as safely and efficiently as possible, and tell your sup to go pound sand if he starts whining about your "compliance"
I like you and usually agree with your posts but I wouldn't encourage people to not work as directed. You can't just not run it at all when they are telling us to. If a driver is so inclined to use the small amount of wiggle room they give us to make their day easier and skip some of the retarded parts that's one thing...

There are three ways to deal with Orion.
1. Follow it 100℅ and smile all the way to the bank as it increases your mileage and planned day.
2. Turn off Orion and get disciplined for failure to work as directed.
3. Run Orion but ignore the parts that don't make sense playing the game and staying in their range they want.

I tried #1 and was dozens of miles over what they wanted. I should have stuck to my guns and kept going but after a week of getting home after 9 every night and getting pulled into the office every morning for mileage I finally caved and went with #3.

In the morning if I'm bricked out and physically can't get to the shelves they want me to I'll turn it off until I can clear a safe walkway.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
A back first exception is when you do what FedEx does. Pull into a dock or a driveway head first, make the delivery and back out when done. Good luck trying to pin a back first on someone delivering in an industrial park.

JL 0513

So today, I had my 2nd ORION ride along. My mileage for the first week on ORION was well over what their system said it should be. So they wanted to go along again to "fix" any issues.

The main basis of ORION is that it essentially sets up your stops as dots on a map and figures out the shortest distances to complete those stops. The ORION guy's tablet shows how this is to be done (has GPS/map and expected paths to follow). Guess what it has you do excessively in residential stops? Change direction after the stop. In other word's, back (and park) in half of your customers driveways. We've been taught to always go around the block. Back only when necessary. This is a complete reversal of those rules.

It's going to be impossible to meet the mileage target unless I do quadruple the backs I averaged before ORION. So today I proceeded to back like crazy per the instruction of the ORION tablet. I bet I have a whole mess of back first exceptions too. This is going to be interesting. We are told we MUST follow ORION at least 90%. If they approach me about my backs then I shall have some fun with it.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
imagesCALHXI31.jpg
Im Lee Majors :censored2: LOL.