Excessive overtime Driver Shortage

billt210

I’m a driver out of the Pittsburgh area Pennsylvania I just wanted to ask other drivers and other locals in Hubs is there such a driver shortage in all hubs?. We are forced with incredible excessive overtime every driver available is working. Are other centers having this driver shortage problem also, or is this specific just to ours? I also wanted to know is management hands tied on hiring new drivers? Or is this just specific to our hub? I have 37 years of service with this company I am working 12 to 14 hour days five days a week it’s not even peak yet believe me we’ve been filing excessive overtime grievances in abundance and they are all getting paid out I do not understand I’ve been there 37 years and there’s never been this problem. Please let me know if this is happening in all hubs thank you. This has been going on for practically the last two years.

Whither

Scofflaw
From what I've read it varies wildly across the country.

For example, at my building we've been well-staffed (except Saturdays) since the start of the year. There are days when as many as 5-10 drivers from each center choose to go home as "scheduled off" rather than demand their 8.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I’m a driver out of the Pittsburgh area Pennsylvania I just wanted to ask other drivers and other locals in Hubs is there such a driver shortage in all hubs?. We are forced with incredible excessive overtime every driver available is working. Are other centers having this driver shortage problem also, or is this specific just to ours? I also wanted to know is management hands tied on hiring new drivers? Or is this just specific to our hub? I have 37 years of service with this company I am working 12 to 14 hour days five days a week it’s not even peak yet believe me we’ve been filing excessive overtime grievances in abundance and they are all getting paid out I do not understand I’ve been there 37 years and there’s never been this problem. Please let me know if this is happening in all hubs thank you. This has been going on for practically the last two years.

37 years it’s time to move on
You trying to set a record?

Brownwind

After reading the other post on here it sounds like a divided bunch. I worked the max hours for years also it’s only recently I told them to give me a break and they did. Your older be straight forward with them and you probably will be able to lower your hours.

TheBrownNote

Good thing I wore my brown pants

For example, at my building we've been well-staffed (except Saturdays) since the start of the year. There are days when as many as 5-10 drivers from each center choose to go home as "scheduled off" rather than demand their 8.
Same as our building. We are well staffed

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Maybe one hour OT here. Looks like a regional screw up.

Brownwind

37 years it’s time to move on
You trying to set a record?
He might’ve started in his teens and only be 54/55. Some regions have to be 57 for early retirement. I’m trying to set the record. My record will be not longevity but in the battle for who can care less. I have some competition 👍

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

Does the company respect seniority in your Local, when it comes to this situation ?

The company's favorite line is "Seniority gives you the right to work, not go home."

Wrong....

Whither

Scofflaw
Does the company respect seniority in your Local, when it comes to this situation ?

The company's favorite line is "Seniority gives you the right to work, not go home."

Wrong....
I never go home and don't ask to. I haven't looked into the sitch too closely; I have told the rookies plenty of times to demand their 8s. It seems like higher seniority employees are given the chance to go home first. Notably, the stews in my center and another have often been among those working only 3 days a week.

Pullman Brown

We were “fully staffed” at the beginning of the year, which is ridiculous seeing that sixty five percent of our RPDS are being forced in on Saturday! We have drivers who have retired, gone to feeders, quit, and other reasons and not had their jobs posted. Here what they do is fill them in with temps until the new year, which causes another headache, because the bidding process takes forever and you lose temps at the beginning of the year!

Last contract, the last 6-8 months of the contract was the worst time because the company didn’t want to hire anybody new because they would have to count them as existing on the old contract so buckle up until the new contract!

Cheesypurpletees

We were “fully staffed” at the beginning of the year, which is ridiculous seeing that sixty five percent of our RPDS are being forced in on Saturday! We have drivers who have retired, gone to feeders, quit, and other reasons and not had their jobs posted. Here what they do is fill them in with temps until the new year, which causes another headache, because the bidding process takes forever and you lose temps at the beginning of the year!

Last contract, the last 6-8 months of the contract was the worst time because the company didn’t want to hire anybody new because they would have to count them as existing on the old contract so buckle up until the new contract!

So The company benefit by waiting; would be not having to pay general wage increases every august? Just curious

Pullman Brown

So The company benefit by waiting; would be not having to pay general wage increases every august? Just curious

Yeah because all the new drivers became 22.4’s. Lesser pay protections etc. If they hired them as RPCDs under the old contract better pay and protections and they would have had to also hired more 22.4 to meet the 25 percent language.

billt210

He might’ve started in his teens and only be 54/55. Some regions have to be 57 for early retirement. I’m trying to set the record. My record will be not longevity but in the battle for who can care less. I have some competition 👍
28 full time years, trying to get 30, I’m 54 now, with pension back to normal hard to leave and have to get another full time job

KOG72

I’m full of it
One word………Biden!!!!!