Excessive Overtime the new normal

chitown

They're scanning every pkg loaded in our cars now and we're getting out late due to this new system to cut down on missloads in our hub. I'm not on the 9.5 list and don't want to be, but I don't want 60 hours a week either. Guy's not on the 9.5 list are going out with peak numbers and leaving the building super late. I'm now getting to the route after 10 which is crazy and punching out between 830 and 900pm. Seems like they're punishing us because they can't implement the 22.4s in our district. Driver's are in an conundrum in our building. If you opt for 9.5 protection they will send you out so light it will be a struggle to get 8 hours, they'll cap you at 40 hrs. Most drivers cant make it off 40 hrs a week so they're opting out of 9.5 protection.

Ups has come up with a cleaver way to totally eliminated the possibility for 9.5 grievances because drivers are opting out for financial reasons. I'm not asking for a solution this is just a rant and warning that this is coming to a center near you. Get used to long work days people.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
You always get 8 hours no matter what so if you can budget on 40 hours a week then sign the 9.5 list for pete's sake.
People who opt-out of the 9.5 list at top rate know how to play the game. Higher overtime rate and you get several vacation weeks/optionals to reset a bit before diving into the next pit of money.

Last edited:

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
The preload scan system is nothing new either. No consideration is taken into account just how slow it is to scan and write on every piece of corrugated cardboard in a shift, especially with 1000 pieces being the norm in some preloads. take 5 extra seconds for the time wasted with the scanners and sharpies for every box and they are now well over 1 hour into the hole.

But hey, the system is soooo much better than sequence charts!

My pre-scanner rate was 210, I got 230 by building custom loads for a couple of weeks for the now-retired folks and 2 years later it barely gets any higher than 180. Not like anybody is counting anymore.

Last edited:
UPS also treats their part-time employees as though they’re full-time. You get hired for 4:15am-8:15am. I’ve never worked that shift. Different start times everyday, always earlier than 4:15, always later than 8:15. UPS has very high turnover in pre-load. So if they’re short handed, instead of loading 3 trucks, you’re now loading 4-5. The Union doesn’t care about pre-load it’s all driver orientated.

Blazian81

They're scanning every pkg loaded in our cars now and we're getting out late due to this new system to cut down on missloads in our hub. I'm not on the 9.5 list and don't want to be, but I don't want 60 hours a week either. Guy's not on the 9.5 list are going out with peak numbers and leaving the building super late. I'm now getting to the route after 10 which is crazy and punching out between 830 and 900pm. Seems like they're punishing us because they can't implement the 22.4s in our district. Driver's are in an conundrum in our building. If you opt for 9.5 protection they will send you out so light it will be a struggle to get 8 hours, they'll cap you at 40 hrs. Most drivers cant make it off 40 hrs a week so they're opting out of 9.5 protection.

Ups has come up with a cleaver way to totally eliminated the possibility for 9.5 grievances because drivers are opting out for financial reasons. I'm not asking for a solution this is just a rant and warning that this is coming to a center near you. Get used to long work days people.
Damn that crazy in my hub, my supervisor is making sure i make 9.5 , they would send other driver to take stop off me if i put my rtb time later than my 9.5 hrs, they don't play out here, well aleast with my rte for some reason. They even tried to write me up for taking a 45 min lunch which i still make 9.5 that day. So everyone not getting crushed in my building.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Learn to live within your means

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby

Love it
OT is awesome and 10 10.5 days are great

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
All you have to do is go in the office and tell them you want 8hr days. Tell them you have to pick up your kids. Bam you will get 9.5hrs of work everyday.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Here we don't have enough preloaded or metro workers. Drivers are starting at 5am to load trucks and to unload at night. I start at 5am to 7pm. When I feel like it

Wilson1397

Half the lies they tell about me aren't true!!
Just wait for 22.4 little feller. Then you'll be complaining about 0 OT...unless you happen to be 22.4
I gladly welcome no OT. If you can’t live on 40 hrs then you’re living above your means. Overtime should just be a bonus to your budget not be required for it.

Jstpeachy

Yep I got hired for “4:30-8:30” for preload but the only day we work those hours is Saturday. Every other day is start time 2:30-3, and we rarely get out at 8:30 usually it’s more like 9:30 mostly due to chronically late air trucks. Scan percentage seems to be their main focus. Part time job is 34+ hours by the time we pick up the 6th day they beg us to work. It’s my only job though so bring on the hours

UPSER1987

I gladly welcome no OT. If you can’t live on 40 hrs then you’re living above your means. Overtime should just be a bonus to your budget not be required for it.

Everyone says that but soon as the ot is taken away, these tough guys whine like a little buddy*. It is the rare person that can live on 8 hours.