Express drop boxes will be accepting Ground packages

MAKAVELI

I was in the test market, a had memorized the codes of about 60 drop boxes. Our scanners didn't open them like yours do. The test, which lasted a year was a complete failure. If in one year, I got 100 things that fit in a drop box.. it would be a generous number. The rest were trampolines, patio furniture and basketball hoops. J/K
They don't give out combos for the Dropboxes no more for security reasons. if they don't trust an Express driver they sure as hell is not going to trust the ground driver.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Who is 'they'? Memphis?

Then you have better opinion of what they regularly flush down the pipeline than I do.

Express higher ups don't want Ground people in dropboxes. Ground drivers aren't employees of the FedEx corporation and are more likely to be goofs, considering that the hiring criteria for Express isn't that impressive and Ground is even less impressive. The last thing you want is a guy who doesn't give two farts mistakenly picking up your FO from a dropbox and taking it back to his Ground terminal after the cutoff and letting it sit.

dmac1

You know some fools are going to be leaving their beds and dressers with return labels next to the drop boxes now.

You do know that it might be the shippers who tell people to leave the package being returned at a dropbox. The customers calls to get a return label and asks for the nearest location to drop the item for pickup. The idiot on the other end of the call looks at his list and doesn't care if it is a dropbox.

floridays

Express higher ups don't want Ground people in dropboxes. Ground drivers aren't employees of the FedEx corporation and are more likely to be goofs, considering that the hiring criteria for Express isn't that impressive and Ground is even less impressive. The last thing you want is a guy who doesn't give two farts mistakenly picking up your FO from a dropbox and taking it back to his Ground terminal after the cutoff and letting it sit.
Is this a serious response?

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Have to agree with you.

I've seen who they hire for management.

Their track record for promotions is equally wretched.

SmithBarney

You do know that it might be the shippers who tell people to leave the package being returned at a dropbox. The customers calls to get a return label and asks for the nearest location to drop the item for pickup. The idiot on the other end of the call looks at his list and doesn't care if it is a dropbox.

It's not even the shippers.. Customers DON'T CARE, it Says FEDEX and that's all that matters to them, most don't even know there is a difference between Express and Ground, I Have customers all the time saying "oh the other guy was just here, you guys make a mistake this morning and both load my stuff"
and of course FDX made it even more confusing by making us all the same color, since for years we've been telling customers GROUND is GREEN(on the trucks) and Express is Orange, yes I know they say Express and Ground, but customers only see the big letters(and the arrow)

dezguy

It's not even the shippers.. Customers DON'T CARE, it Says FEDEX and that's all that matters to them, most don't even know there is a difference between Express and Ground, I Have customers all the time saying "oh the other guy was just here, you guys make a mistake this morning and both load my stuff"
and of course FDX made it even more confusing by making us all the same color, since for years we've been telling customers GROUND is GREEN(on the trucks) and Express is Orange, yes I know they say Express and Ground, but customers only see the big letters(and the arrow)
I get UPS and Purolator in my drop box ALL THE DAMN TIME. I'll even find Canada Post in there from time to time.

You're absolutely right, customers don't care. They see a box and they dump their shipment in there, regardless of what the brand is or regardless of what any signage says. Mine has a giant sign on it saying, if they have ground stuff to call the 1800 number to get a pickup. People don't care, they just want their stuff out of their hair.

MassWineGuy

Express could do a much better job of saying no ground in db’s. The lettering now is tiny. I also see usps, UPS and other stuff in my boxes.

SmithBarney

Express could do a much better job of saying no ground in db’s. The lettering now is tiny. I also see usps, UPS and other stuff in my boxes.
IF it fits it ships... oh wait wrong slogan, customers don't know and don't care, it could say NO GROUND on a billboard attached to the package slot, and customers would move the billboard to put packages in... we take it scan it and move on with our day.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Correct, just don't do this scan if you have a box you open early(some boxes have a 5,10,15 minute window scan last package after ready time)
It'll show as an early pup.
All the more reason to do it incorrectly. Ground pups mucking up the whole system.
Hilarious!