Express packages to ground

It will be fine

The only way I can see it done would be for the contractor to have a dedicated air box guy waiting there at the terminal to load up exclusively with air box and will be lucky to get out by 11AM. He'll be lucky to have 30 stops on board on a so called "heavy day" and damn lucky if he can get the day in under 300 miles. Mighty fine profit there alright. .
It’s no surprise you didn’t make it as a multi-route owner if that’s the only way you can see this working.

MAKAVELI

You’ll be like Bacha in no time. Crying about how the new business model can’t possibly work after 10 years of its successful operation.
I just see reality bro. UPS is just gaining more and more on FedEx. They've been around for more than 100 years and probably be around for another 100.

fedx

Extra Large Package

This pretty much confirms that Express is going to eventually go away through attrition. Express and Ground will become one company just called FedEx. Remember earlier this summer when we speculated they would merge, but we didn't know which way it would go-although I speculated Ground would do the taking over. They want Express to blend into Ground and the contractor model (so we can't unionize like we could if it were the other way around with the RLA). Keeping the contractor model keeps the union out. Based on that Streamlined Pickup/Deliveries graphic, there won't be hardly anything for Express to do. If you work at Express, I wouldn't recommend making any long term plans like buying a house with a 30 yr mortgage.

FalconAss

I’m pretty sure both companies use BS codes to inflate their on time service numbers so I wouldn’t put any trust in the paper you’re pushing.
Doesn't happen nearly as much anymore in my experience. Just outside DC and Government delay was abused for years after 9/11. Lawsuits have changed that mindset. When raises were based on performance we'd keep scan open to lock in times.. But that doesn't happen much anymore. Not catching me riding dirty.

bbsam

Staff member
You still don't get it. If you want priority freight, that comes with it. You think they are going to hand over their highest revenue source with no ability to hold contractors accountable for service?
View attachment 407125

It doesn’t matter anymore. Contractors are and will continue to walk. And that’s how it should be. If the business doesn’t make money, move on and let FedEx roll the dice with someone else. Why they think it will be better with someone else is odd though. It’s obvious the pricing structure is way off.

There is no cheap way out. They’re beginning to figure it out. Not sure folks here are.

MAKAVELI

It doesn’t matter anymore. Contractors are and will continue to walk. And that’s how it should be. If the business doesn’t make money, move on and let FedEx roll the dice with someone else. Why they think it will be better with someone else is odd though. It’s obvious the pricing structure is way off.

There is no cheap way out. They’re beginning to figure it out. Not sure folks here are.
FedEx right now is trying to hedge their bets. Trying to test the waters in giving contractors Express freight while giving raises to Express employees. I personally don't think this will end well for FedEx. They are going to have to bite the bullet one way or another.

bacha29

I just see reality bro. UPS is just gaining more and more on FedEx. They've been around for more than 100 years and probably be around for another 100.
Keep in mind something about IWBF. By his own admission a big mileage day for him is 35 miles.
Now go out to rural America where a 300 mile day is still pretty common.
Out there it is still very common to find Ground grunts getting paid on a per diem. Same daily pay whether it takes 6 hours or 12 hours.

It is for that reason why everything that's going out that day has to be scanned and loaded ready to go by 8AM. House boxes, air boxes.....everything.

Now is that Ground grunt going to put up with having to wait as a matter of near daily practice for that the air box to finally get there? Is he going to allow 2 to 3 uncompensated additional hours to be added to his day when it's dark at 5 PM and GPS out there is still so inaccurate that it can't be counted on? Longer day....same pay.

IWBF will likely be getting his air box service from Logan a major US airport. While out where the deer and the antelope play that guy will likely be waiting for a feeder plane to get into a little regional airport equipped with minimum services. A 9-5 FBO and a guy to plow the runways.....If the truck will start.....the runway lights work....and it's not fogged in

In fact just yesterday Express didn't get into my neighborhood until 4:40 PM And I only live 7 miles from the Express station. Imagine what it's going to be like for Ground when it's burdened with this next new fine mess.

IWBF still continues to think that the way he has it where he's located is the same everywhere else in the country.

Trouble is, so does Fat Freddy, Raj and Johnny Dollar Sign.

SFFX

Running UPS model with contractors.....thats their genius plan. Ask a UPS driver if he would do their job for only 180 a day?

It will be fine

Running UPS model with contractors.....thats their genius plan. Ask a UPS driver if he would do their job for only 180 a day?
Why would you ask a UPS driver that question? They’ve typically put in 10 years to get to that job. You should ask the 20 yr old working in food service for $16/hr if they would do the job.

yadig

Why would you ask a UPS driver that question? They’ve typically put in 10 years to get to that job. You should ask the 20 yr old working in food service for $16/hr if they would do the job.
Maybe, Taco Bell does give benefits and a 401k if you’re full time. What are you offering?

It will be fine

Maybe, Taco Bell does give benefits and a 401k if you’re full time. What are you offering?
All that and more. The “Ground drivers don’t get benefits” is very outdated herp derp nonsense. It’s a talking point express folk like to use to pretend they’re superior in some way.

yadig

All that and more. The “Ground drivers don’t get benefits” is very outdated herp derp nonsense. It’s a talking point express folk like to use to pretend they’re superior in some way.
I hv two ground guys driving a straight truck on my route and they get absolutely nothing. I told them to go get on with ups and they are waiting on a couple of tickets to fall off record. I guess it depends we’re you are at. The ground truck driver gets some health insurance and he’s always in a big damn hurry!

It will be fine

I hv two ground guys driving a straight truck on my route and they get absolutely nothing. I told them to go get on with ups and they are waiting on a couple of tickets to fall off record. I guess it depends we’re you are at. The ground truck driver gets some health insurance and he’s always in a big damn hurry!
It’s almost like every Ground driver works for a different company with different compensation packages. Lumping all of them together is stupid.

Cheesypurpletees

FedEx right now is trying to hedge their bets. Trying to test the waters in giving contractors Express freight while giving raises to Express employees. I personally don't think this will end well for FedEx. They are going to have to bite the bullet one way or another.
Those express raises feel like keep the carrot dangling one last peak, before we drop the express hammer raises. I’m glad I got out a year ago. Raj is a snake

BoxDriver

It’s almost like every Ground driver works for a different company with different compensation packages. Lumping all of them together is stupid.
Patton was the only one in my terminal with decent benefits, and we know where they are now. From what I’ve seen over the years, the majority of contractors nationwide offer few to none, so it’s quite easy to see why you are lumped in with them.

Mutineer

Patton was the only one in my terminal with decent benefits, and we know where they are now. From what I’ve seen over the years, the majority of contractors nationwide offer few to none, so it’s quite easy to see why you are lumped in with them.

Sooo Spencer Patton was in yer terminal?

How many vans did he have there, and what did FedEx do to fill in the holes?