Express packages to ground

Star B

White Lightening
Why would you ask a UPS driver that question? They’ve typically put in 10 years to get to that job.
Not anymore.

We have plenty of people who have left Express and went directly on the road at UPS. Yes, they may be the first to be laid off in an economic downturn, but that whole "gotta hump boxes for 5 years to get your shot on the road" isn't true for quite a few places right now.

bacha29

I hv two ground guys driving a straight truck on my route and they get absolutely nothing. I told them to go get on with ups and they are waiting on a couple of tickets to fall off record. I guess it depends we’re you are at. The ground truck driver gets some health insurance and he’s always in a big damn hurry!
Maybe, Taco Bell does give benefits and a 401k if you’re full time. What are you offering?
Now when a Ground contractor talks about offering benefits they are always very vague about how expansive are those benefits about those benefits actually are.

Medical benefits:
Who is covered? Does it cover spouses and dependents? How large are the deductibles and co payments? What is the maximum out of pocket? Is it on the basis of annual benefit year or per claim? Anything for dental or optical? Healthcare benefits in retirement? Sick pay benefits? Prescription benefits? HMO,PPO or something else?

And the big one.....Who pays the premiums?

Pension

UPS union drivers have a defined benefit plan based on years worked and hours worked per year. A 401K is little
more than a defined contribution IRA. It's only as good as the dollars that are in it at the end. Sure, the employer might decide to make a very small low percentage contribution to the plan but can pull out of it anytime he wants using any number of excuses.
Now can you imagine the size of the principal required to get even close to the monthly benefit a UPS driver gets? That little contractor 401K won't get within periscope range of that plan.

So when a contractor starts telling you that he offers benefits.....make him show you good they actually are. If made to do so chances are the conversion will end right then and there.

bacha29

It’s no surprise you didn’t make it as a multi-route owner if that’s the only way you can see this working.
That's the only way it will work in a 300 mile day. Not the 30 mile day you consider to be a long haul. Where you come from you talking about working neighborhoods. Where I come from you're talking about multiple rural counties.

McFeely

Huge Member
That's the only way it will work in a 300 mile day. Not the 30 mile day you consider to be a long haul. Where you come from you talking about working neighborhoods. Where I come from you're talking about multiple rural counties.

Those rural routes are typically the ones with 16:30 commit times, not 10:30. 30 mile routes would have 10:30 and 12:00 commit times, which is fairly easy to accomplish if you can get freight from the ramp at a good time.

bacha29

Those rural routes are typically the ones with 16:30 commit times, not 10:30. 30 mile routes would have 10:30 and 12:00 commit times, which is fairly easy to accomplish if you can get freight from the ramp at a good time.
There are guys at my station still not getting back until after 8PM and they are not dragging ass because they get paid a flat per diem. Out here you go to one little borough do the stops there then go out and chase it's 300 plus mile RD carrier system. Once done there you don't go back Instead you move onto the the next little borough and repeat the process. And on the pickup end all you can hope for is that they'll give you a key or the combination to get in and get your stuff well past dark. They is simply no backtracking and in many cases a 16:30 cutoff many times won't be enough especially if it's a house box because you are doing those in the evening.

So don't go basing your conclusions on your Express experiences. Ground is without question the poorest setup in the history of wheeled transportation and is now being called upon by a desperate corporation to do things it was never designed for.

It will be fine

Not anymore.

We have plenty of people who have left Express and went directly on the road at UPS. Yes, they may be the first to be laid off in an economic downturn, but that whole "gotta hump boxes for 5 years to get your shot on the road" isn't true for quite a few places right now.
I’ve had guys go over there, on road right away. The problem was they’d only get scheduled a day or 2 per week and then laid off for months. That’s at their entry wage, which is much less than mine. So even if they get on road immediately, they still don’t make good money for years.

The point is, there’s no reason to expect UPS wages in this industry. They are the outlier. There’s very little skill involved in the job. It doesn’t require the ridiculous wages UPS pays drivers to attract employees.

Guitarman01

I still think that memo could equal a slow takeover of FedEx ground back to being run and operated by the company itself starting with the small markets. They would maybe start by moving express freight to a ground facility not the other way around.

bacha29

I’ve had guys go over there, on road right away. The problem was they’d only get scheduled a day or 2 per week and then laid off for months. That’s at their entry wage, which is much less than mine. So even if they get on road immediately, they still don’t make good money for years.

The point is, there’s no reason to expect UPS wages in this industry. They are the outlier. There’s very little skill involved in the job. It doesn’t require the ridiculous wages UPS pays drivers to attract employees.
Remember what they say in the NFL:...."The best ability is availability ". Now if you want to continue to devalue the contribution of that guy who comes to work day in and day out and turns in an honest day's work and you refuse to pay in accordance with what the market dictates and that's the UPS/Teamster wage standard which still sets the market., then you might just have to learn the hard way the need to place much higher value on availability rather than the low skill basis that you continue to embrace. High skill. low. skill in between skill it doesn't mean a thing if a dependable employee with that high level of availability tells you to go pound salt up one of your bodily orifices because he got tired of you reminding him that he is a low skill worker and use it as justification for you not paying for his readily available work ethic.

Gone fishin

I still think that memo could equal a slow takeover of FedEx ground back to being run and operated by the company itself starting with the small markets. They would maybe start by moving express freight to a ground facility not the other way around.
I can definitely see ground start to be taken over by express during this recession and lower volume. Start in the west and make your way east.

BoxDriver

Sooo Spencer Patton was in yer terminal?

How many vans did he have there, and what did FedEx do to fill in the holes?
I don’t know for sure as they are halfway across the building with several belts between us. I’m not one to walk around socializing with the other contractors drivers much. At first it was pretty ugly with what I’m guessing was an outside company coming in and running those routes out of trucks that looked like they had no business doing what they were. Now it’s back to Fedex branded trucks in all the routes.

SFFX

Remember what they say in the NFL:...."The best ability is availability ". Now if you want to continue to devalue the contribution of that guy who comes to work day in and day out and turns in an honest day's work and you refuse to pay in accordance with what the market dictates and that's the UPS/Teamster wage standard which still sets the market., then you might just have to learn the hard way the need to place much higher value on availability rather than the low skill basis that you continue to embrace. High skill. low. skill in between skill it doesn't mean a thing if a dependable employee with that high level of availability tells you to go pound salt up one of your bodily orifices because he got tired of you reminding him that he is a low skill worker and use it as justification for you not paying for his readily available work ethic.
Now that is a correct statement!

fedx

Extra Large Package

If that's the case, I think we should be finding that out sooner than later. With Spencer Patton and other Ground contractors leaving FedEx, we should hear those open markets are being taken over by Express. If we don't hear Express is taking over those routes in the immediate future, then I'd bet Express will be slowly filtered to Ground with Express being phased out eventually. FedEx will be like UPS (air and ground packages on one vehicle), only it will be contractors doing it all like Amazon. I hope you're right, but unfortunately think you'll be wrong in the end. With the contactor model, FedEx doesn't have to pay any benefits like medical, 401K, pension, vacation, etc. and most importantly, doesn't have to worry about a union forming.

Gone fishin

If that's the case, I think we should be finding that out sooner than later. With Spencer Patton and other Ground contractors leaving FedEx, we should hear those open markets are being taken over by Express. If we don't hear Express is taking over those routes in the immediate future, then I'd bet Express will be slowly filtered to Ground with Express being phased out eventually. FedEx will be like UPS (air and ground packages on one vehicle), only it will be contractors doing it all like Amazon. I hope you're right, but unfortunately think you'll be wrong in the end. With the contactor model, FedEx doesn't have to pay any benefits like medical, 401K, pension, vacation, etc. and most importantly, doesn't have to worry about a union forming.
People aren’t paying a 120 bucks for a delivery 2 days late. Contractors are constantly a mess. It would be like a corporation hiring a CEO for 30 thousand a year.

fedx

Extra Large Package
People aren’t paying a 120 bucks for a delivery 2 days late. Contractors are constantly a mess. It would be like a corporation hiring a CEO for 30 thousand a year.

They're aren't paying $120 for a 2 day late delivery-not with our money back guarantee. If the company starts doing enough free deliveries, they'll either get rid of the money back guarantee or will beef up their Ground network to handle the volume.

Gone fishin

They're aren't paying $120 for a 2 day late delivery-not with our money back guarantee. If the company starts doing enough free deliveries, they'll either get rid of the money back guarantee or will beef up their Ground network to handle the volume.
Why as a customer would I ship with a company that has a “you’ll get it when you get it “ policy with no ramifications.

zeev

They will beef up Ground with the savings from eliminating Express my advice get RTD trained or get ready for a Ground Amazon future.