Express packages to ground

Guitarman01

Same paywall. What’s the difference???
That's weird, when I click on that link I can read the full article, when I clicked on yours I couldn't. Maybe it could only be read a limited number of times without subscribing. I was able to read the article, doesn't sound like the contractor model is going away anytime soon.

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

I have read many tales of severe worker shortages at FedEx. I believe those stories, but I am curious as to what regions of the country are complaining about this.

I am in California and there are no severe FedEx worker shortages I have observed or heard of in my area.

Are you Mid-Atlantic?
At least 2 Little Rock routes have been given to Freight. Three BHM routes are being run to mem hub also.
A few Freight drivers run MEM city routes during peak

fedx

Extra Large Package
Why as a customer would I ship with a company that has a “you’ll get it when you get it “ policy with no ramifications.

Exactly. People won't pay $150 to ship a box that's supposed to arrive the next day only to have it take 2 or 3 days. That's why they have the money back guarantee. So you get a box shipped for free if it doesn't arrive on time. If FedEx does that enough, they will either get rid of the MBG (which nobody would use FedEx as a result) or they will beef up Ground to handle the influx so they don't have to refund money back to customers.

bacha29

Exactly. People won't pay $150 to ship a box that's supposed to arrive the next day only to have it take 2 or 3 days. That's why they have the money back guarantee. So you get a box shipped for free if it doesn't arrive on time. If FedEx does that enough, they will either get rid of the MBG (which nobody would use FedEx as a result) or they will beef up Ground to handle the influx so they don't have to refund money back to customers.
Probably the only way they can beef up Ground would be to force existing contractors to takeover money losing abandoned routes as a condition for a new contract. Yeah, it's blackmail and x is pretty good at that and most of the time they get away with it.

Aquaman

At least 2 Little Rock routes have been given to Freight. Three BHM routes are being run to mem hub also.
A few Freight drivers run MEM city routes during peak
Express trying to start tractor trailer drivers in the low $20’s is one of the biggest embarrassments this company promotes. We’re not couriers, and you can’t pay us like couriers. Period. No sane person with a Class A is going to take a job making $23/hr, with no set schedule week to week, no desirable vacation weeks, and a 25 year wait for morning routes. You tell me who finds that enticing? This company is essentially looking to recruit young dumb single people with no families who don’t know how to use Indeed to look at other jobs…

fedx

Extra Large Package
Express trying to start tractor trailer drivers in the low $20’s is one of the biggest embarrassments this company promotes. We’re not couriers, and you can’t pay us like couriers. Period. No sane person with a Class A is going to take a job making $23/hr, with no set schedule week to week, no desirable vacation weeks, and a 25 year wait for morning routes. You tell me who finds that enticing? This company is essentially looking to recruit young dumb single people with no families who don’t know how to use Indeed to look at other jobs…

And low $20s is just the most recent pay scale. Go back a couple of years and it was only high teen pay. When I started it was mid teen pay as an RTD. Just last year I was making what the starting pay at Freight was at 6 or 7 years ago. That's how behind the curve they are. Express is in competition with UPS, but pays like they are in competition with fast food restaurants. That's why they've had such bad staffing shortages over the past several years. They only way to rectify it is to pay more competitively, but they just won't do it. They think shifting all their freight to Ground and the contractor model will solve all their problems. It won't.

Aquaman

And low $20s is just the most recent pay scale. Go back a couple of years and it was only high teen pay. When I started it was mid teen pay as an RTD. Just last year I was making what the starting pay at Freight was at 6 or 7 years ago. That's how behind the curve they are. Express is in competition with UPS, but pays like they are in competition with fast food restaurants. That's why they've had such bad staffing shortages over the past several years. They only way to rectify it is to pay more competitively, but they just won't do it. They think shifting all their freight to Ground and the contractor model will solve all their problems. It won't.
Its pretty bad at my Express station. Managers spend $2,000 per run (I’m paid about $230 a run) contracting RTD routes out to third party guys. Managment seems to like that solution because it gets the schedule covered with zero thinking involved. But it’s unsustainable. Every other trucking company has realized that the only pay class A drivers are taking is top pay. There is no more pay progression for tractor trailer drivers. You can’t hire in at $23/hr and promise $33/hr in 5-10 years. You have to hire in at $33/hr. Freight realized that in our area years ago. They’ve been hiring in at $32/hr for a couple years. Where we’re still posting jobs for $23/hr with no consistent schedule lol. Either have truck drivers or contract it all out. They can’t decide what they really want.

Empty Pockets

Its pretty bad at my Express station. Managers spend $2,000 per run (I’m paid about $230 a run) contracting RTD routes out to third party guys. Managment seems to like that solution because it gets the schedule covered with zero thinking involved. But it’s unsustainable. Every other trucking company has realized that the only pay class A drivers are taking is top pay. There is no more pay progression for tractor trailer drivers. You can’t hire in at $23/hr and promise $33/hr in 5-10 years. You have to hire in at $33/hr. Freight realized that in our area years ago. They’ve been hiring in at $32/hr for a couple years. Where we’re still posting jobs for $23/hr with no consistent schedule lol. Either have truck drivers or contract it all out. They can’t decide what they really want.
We have the same job. We talk to the contract driver like he was one of us. They get paid very well per run and have been running non stop since covid. I can only take so much misery so do not get on here often, but posted about the new 10 tier system and how it would not work. The old pay would take 17 raises to hit top out...if the top never moved. If top got a raise every other year, it would take 34 raises to hit top out or at least 55 years old. The new plan was sold as a ten year plan but raises were then postponed till October. Then, there was only one step progression over the next five years. Folks have started to see that they are being lied to. Last year, they changed RTDs to a 5 step plan. The step plans cannot work. This year a percentage and not a step progression. It has been so long, they have changed the pay scale. Every trucking company has a yard in Memphis so half of the new drivers hired there leave within six months. They just had a guy get hired, ride around in training waiting for class for 5 months, and quit the week of truck school WITH his license. They actually took a truck to the DMV for him before he went to class. Hehe, he passed the road test, got his license, and got another job in less than a week.

To anyone around forty years old and have twenty years in at Express....
Like me, you have been misled and have chosen a dead end career at a company that will only exploit you. Get out before it is too late and put in twenty years at a company that does care. You will be about to retire at 60ish with both pensions.

Last edited:

It will be fine

Freight is currently furloughing drivers. Doesn’t really matter what the hourly pay is if you have to sit at home on unemployment.

Artee

A handful of 10:30 deliveries may indeed destroy your margins when FedEx assigns them a ratio much higher than a bumble :censored2: shipper . I’m pretty sure corporate will make sure one Sanofi vaccine package is equivalent to about 50 Chewy cat food shipments . 😽
Sanofi is gone. Their last day was Thursday night. DHL is taking them over. A contractor screwed up and was the final nail in the coffin. Only FDX employees allowed hauling the trailers after the screw up, but it was not meant to be. Huge account gone.

fedx

Extra Large Package
We have the same job. We talk to the contract driver like he was one of us. They get paid very well per run and have been running non stop since covid. I can only take so much misery so do not get on here often, but posted about the new 10 tier system and how it would not work. The old pay would take 17 raises to hit top out...if the top never moved. If top got a raise every other year, it would take 34 raises to hit top out or at least 55 years old. The new plan was sold as a ten year plan but raises were then postponed till October. Then, there was only one step progression over the next five years. Folks have started to see that they are being lied to. Last year, they changed RTDs to a 5 step plan. The step plans cannot work. This year a percentage and not a step progression. It has been so long, they have changed the pay scale. Every trucking company has a yard in Memphis so half of the new drivers hired there leave within six months. They just had a guy get hired, ride around in training waiting for class for 5 months, and quit the week of truck school WITH his license. They actually took a truck to the DMV for him before he went to class. Hehe, he passed the road test, got his license, and got another job in less than a week.

Like me, you have been misled and have chosen a dead end career at a company that will only exploit you. Get out before it is too late and put in twenty years at a company that does care. You will be about to retire at 60ish with both pensions.

I'm confused on a couple of things: We did get a step progression this year and not a percentage. You got a step progression too didn't you? Other question is about that driver you mentioned. How did he get his CDL before he went to school? They let him go to the DMV with a company truck to take the Class A test before he even went to FedEx's truck driving class? Someone screwed up. They normally don't make an appt with the DMV until after you're done with the class and passed. Who authorized that where you're at? I bet he got in trouble for that one (OLCC? lol). But yeah, they need to top out RTDs sooner rather than later. And RTDs need to get a step progression even if they don't do it for couriers or other positions during bad years. Why? Because RTDs can quit on a moments notice and get another job. Couriers and CSAs don't have that luxury. Because RTDs have that ability, they need to be paid more aggressively to keep them from quitting. There's a serious nationwide truck driver shortage, Express needs to pay acknowledging that fact.

zeev

Walmart is hiring and they are very aggressive, they realize the shortage of Cdl drivers is bad and just going to get worst. Walmart is going after Amazon using stores as distribution centers.Contractors continue to miss loads and take empty trailers how many accounts have been lost who knows. Also Freight is not part of the FedEx double speak,my sources say it has more to do with Freight than the economy.

Aquaman

Freight is currently furloughing drivers. Doesn’t really matter what the hourly pay is if you have to sit at home on unemployment.
They may be laying off Drivers….. but that also means people were taking their jobs. That top pay sure got people in the door huh. Too many people it seems.

fedx

Extra Large Package
They may be laying off Drivers….. but that also means people were taking their jobs. That top pay sure got people in the door huh. Too many people it seems.

And yeah they maybe be laying off, but that means you can sit at home and get unemployment-if you want. Wait until you get called back to work at Freight. Someone said it's a furlough, so that should mean they will be called back to work at some point. So sit at home and get paid for it in the meantime.

SFFX

Thats exactly what im doing Getting my class A and going to do 4 10s at 34hr for a small local company. Warehouse to manufacturing building 13 mile round trip. Getting my life back.