Express route bidding process

floridays

Is there any recourse when the posting policy isn’t followed? Can a new hire get put on an open route while the bid process takes place?
You take pride in it being your business, set your own rules, sometimes the boss will be viewed as the bad guy. Since it's yours reward those that reward you, be loyal and you will receive loyalty.
You're dealing with adults, they get the drift.

floridays

How would you have liked route assignments to have been handled?
You aren't Express, you have to take care of your business to your benefit. I'd do it just like sports, place the person in the spot where it best suits your profitability. You can satisfy all with their wages according to their input. Everything is not equal, reward achievers. Take the hit before your workers, you'll have loyalty like Federal Express did. My unsolicited advice.

BeastofBurden

“Loosely-based on seniority” is pretty accurate. Years ago I was full time, but had to downgrade due to family needs. I’ve been trying to go back to full time but I’m not allowed to bid on full time routes as a part timer. I’ve been told my only option is to take a PM swing position for 18 months, then I can bid on a full time opening. So as it is right now, I have 20 years with the company but am being leap-frogged by people with fewer than 5 fir open day routes. I contacted HR and the district head and they affirmed this is company policy.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
“Loosely-based on seniority” is pretty accurate. Years ago I was full time, but had to downgrade due to family needs. I’ve been trying to go back to full time but I’m not allowed to bid on full time routes as a part timer. I’ve been told my only option is to take a PM swing position for 18 months, then I can bid on a full time opening. So as it is right now, I have 20 years with the company but am being leap-frogged by people with fewer than 5 fir open day routes. I contacted HR and the district head and they affirmed this is company policy.
You are allowed to bid on any FT position in Workday. It could be an AM or PM position. If no FTer bids on that position, it’s yours. There is a difference between bidding on a route and bidding on a position.

Working4the1%

Yes and you have great seniority for a Part Time Route

Nolimitz

You are allowed to bid on any FT position in Workday. It could be an AM or PM position. If no FTer bids on that position, it’s yours. There is a difference between bidding on a route and bidding on a position.
Not here. If a PTer want a FT route they first have to get a FT position. We have a guy that took a PT route after being a FTer and he cant bid on routes until he is in a FT position and he will probably have to take a swing for 18 months to get one

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Not here. If a PTer want a FT route they first have to get a FT position. We have a guy that took a PT route after being a FTer and he cant bid on routes until he is in a FT position and he will probably have to take a swing for 18 months to get one
That’s why I said you have to bid in Workday. Every station is required to post company wide, in Workday, one position out of four (unless they changed it). That is how one can become FT. If they’re telling you something else, you need to first look at Policy to verify and then call HR. The only thing HR is good for now is holding management to Policy.

Nolimitz

That’s why I said you have to bid in Workday. Every station is required to post company wide, in Workday, one position out of four (unless they changed it). That is how one can become FT. If they’re telling you something else, you need to first look at Policy to verify and then call HR. The only thing HR is good for now is holding management to Policy.
All of our FT posted positions are for swing only.

Maui

Yeah, you'll have to get in a FT category first. PT can't bid on FT routes and vice-versa. What positions are those with less seniority vacating?

Operational needs is right that you'll have to bid in Workday. Are all the AM routes filled? Were they filled internally? How is hiring/staffing at your location? There's some discretion at the station level how routes are staffed. Some locations bid every open route and others after 2 shifts/routes are bid, then they place the next person on the route left open to stop a seemingly never-ending rotation that makes scheduling more challenging.

I am an advocate of bidding everything. It's better to give all current employees a chance for any opening. For me, if I would ever get to the point of an external hire (or even a transfer into the station) I would allow my PT to move to an opening. I just think it's better for the people there. It is not required and both approaches are within policy. There is nothing that can be done if existing employees are FT and they are taking all the open AM spots. What could happen is a Workday posting for in station candidates only to make sure a FT from another location doesn't get it.

If all the routes are being filled with FT from RESPONSE and PM moving within the station then there isn't anything within policy until you get in category.

falcon back

Yeah, you'll have to get in a FT category first. PT can't bid on FT routes and vice-versa. What positions are those with less seniority vacating?

Operational needs is right that you'll have to bid in Workday. Are all the AM routes filled? Were they filled internally? How is hiring/staffing at your location? There's some discretion at the station level how routes are staffed. Some locations bid every open route and others after 2 shifts/routes are bid, then they place the next person on the route left open to stop a seemingly never-ending rotation that makes scheduling more challenging.

I am an advocate of bidding everything. It's better to give all current employees a chance for any opening. For me, if I would ever get to the point of an external hire (or even a transfer into the station) I would allow my PT to move to an opening. I just think it's better for the people there. It is not required and both approaches are within policy. There is nothing that can be done if existing employees are FT and they are taking all the open AM spots. What could happen is a Workday posting for in station candidates only to make sure a FT from another location doesn't get it.

If all the routes are being filled with FT from RESPONSE and PM moving within the station then there isn't anything within policy until you get in category.
If FT cant bid on PT route, how can you downgrade? I was PT before I retired after years of being FT.