Express route bidding process

!Retired!

“Loosely-based on seniority” is pretty accurate. Years ago I was full time, but had to downgrade due to family needs. I’ve been trying to go back to full time but I’m not allowed to bid on full time routes as a part timer. I’ve been told my only option is to take a PM swing position for 18 months, then I can bid on a full time opening. So as it is right now, I have 20 years with the company but am being leap-frogged by people with fewer than 5 fir open day routes. I contacted HR and the district head and they affirmed this is company policy.
I would ask to see the policy. 3-4 years ago, I was PT and put in for a FT split. Since nobody else bid on it (FT or PT), I became FT.
You are allowed to bid on any FT position in Workday. It could be an AM or PM position. If no FTer bids on that position, it’s yours. There is a difference between bidding on a route and bidding on a position.
Assuming there's nobody with more seniority or a displaced courier. They would get it first.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
There's some discretion at the station level how routes are staffed. Some locations bid every open route and others after 2 shifts/routes are bid, then they place the next person on the route left open to stop a seemingly never-ending rotation that makes scheduling more challenging.
The really good stations fix it to where the lousy couriers end up on routes where they'll do the least damage.

ExizFed

With Ground I could see swing drivers doing the overflows, pickups and maybe helping other drivers not sure about Express. In the process of transitioning though.

Maui

What do Swing couriers do vs regular couriers? asking for a friend.
Once their time in position is met swings can bid on routes. Seniority rules the day at that point.

if there are more swings than routes I’d offer LWOP in reverse seniority order. Another area where there’s discretion, but I think this is the best best option.

Maui

The really good stations fix it to where the lousy couriers end up on routes where they'll do the least damage.
Honestly that’s response for most routes now. Can’t hurt FO or PO there and the goals are so low they have little impact.

outtatime

Why not just fix the lousy couriers? Instead they have the good ones go rescue the lousy ones day in day out even though both left the station at the same time and balanced out.

yadig

How does the bidding process work at Express? When a full time route becomes available how does a driver get assigned? As routes get recut based on volume how are geographic areas decided?

I’m trying to think of a way to “fairly” assign open routes. I don’t want drivers to luck into easier routes based on what was open when they were hired. How would you design or tweak the Express system to make it better?
It depends on management and if they want someone with low seniority in the job. We have no union! They do what they want cuz we have so many ignorant, nutless, employees

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Why not just fix the lousy couriers? Instead they have the good ones go rescue the lousy ones day in day out even though both left the station at the same time and balanced out.
Hard to fix a guy who's adamant that he's not broken and Heaven forbid we terminate anyone for not being able to do the job.

Put them in the equivalent of slow learner/remedial class and hope for the best.