Express RTD to Feeder… worth it?

quad decade guy

Well part of the frustration with Fedex is 15 years and $27/hr. I’m still $5 from top out with the company having complete freedom with how fast I get that $5. The appeal of Fedex (express) is home time… nothing else. I work just under 40 hours a week and see my kids a lot. But in this current economy and state of the country is it wise to sit stagnant at a company just to see my kids? Or chase the most money I can. Also Fedex is seperated into multiple branches that essentially compete against each other. Ground & Freight are a threat to Express. We’re an expensive premium option that also costs a fortune to run. The cheaper trucking options seem to be heavily favored by our CEO… When you say it took you 3 years to get seniority with part timers now getting seniority immediately what do you mean? I’m under the impression seniority is just your start date. What is considered getting seniority? Going full time?
Here, you get seniority when you get a "run/job". In the meantime you go back and forth to pkg car or wherever you came from....In your case(here), the hub(loading trucks or many things actually). Or even laid off. IDK.

With our extraordinary feeder growth....part-timers(now) get immediate seniority......it just depends. It took me 3 years. See? It's a different time at UPS than 14 years ago.....

Now about the future of Fed-Ex. UPS is an expensive option too. I will say this......just about every pkg I get to my home is Fed-Ex or Amazon delivered. 10-1. What does that mean? My Mgr. stated Amazon will deliver more pkgs than UPS this year. I'll take that at face value. Not hard to believe. Is there room for all 3 companies? IDK.

We chose for me to work and the wife take care of the kid. Basically. I rarely saw a game, concert during the week.....just the weekends.....but we were comfortable and things got done. This was a great sacrifice. Still is. It hasn't changed in 40+ years.
Think hard about that.

In Kentucky. From what I have seen it’s a big center. I know feeder is a desired job amongst UPS employees so most current employees making the move are probably going to have serious seniority. It’s a great job I’m sure… but is it a great job to START OUT in. Or am I going to be bottom of the barrel for 25 years being the one genius who came in off the street.
Do you know what supplement and rider you'd be working under?

Aquaman

Here, you get seniority when you get a "run/job". In the meantime you go back and forth to pkg car or wherever you came from....In your case(here), the hub(loading trucks or many things actually). Or even laid off. IDK.

With our extraordinary feeder growth....part-timers(now) get immediate seniority......it just depends. It took me 3 years. See? It's a different time at UPS than 14 years ago.....

Now about the future of Fed-Ex. UPS is an expensive option too. I will say this......just about every pkg I get to my home is Fed-Ex or Amazon delivered. 10-1. What does that mean? My Mgr. stated Amazon will deliver more pkgs than UPS this year. I'll take that at face value. Not hard to believe. Is there room for all 3 companies? IDK.

We chose for me to work and the wife take care of the kid. Basically. I rarely saw a game, concert during the week.....just the weekends.....but we were comfortable and things got done. This was a great sacrifice. Still is. It hasn't changed in 40+ years.
Think hard about that.
I guess the main factor that would make or break the decision is whether or not RPCD’s making feeder would dovetail above me. That would make for a miserable 10-20 years.

FedEx seems to do home delivery the best in my opinion. UPS crushes us in bulk business stuff. But our drivers take out WAY less stops than the average UPS guy, so it’s easier to tell the customer when they can expect the delivery. Every time I track a package coming UPS it always says “by end of day”. And I understand that because I know the amount of freight they crush those guys with. Also UPS stations don’t have front counters you can pick your package up at. It has to go to a UPS Store for that. So for the mom ordering diapers from wal mart… FedEx just makes more sense. Amazon is still delivering after dark most days too. Which is part of the problem for Express… people just don’t care what time their stuff comes anymore. Which is the only reason we exist lol. Commit times.

It’s a tough decision to leave a job that gives me so much time with my kids. But part of me knows I’ll regret not taking the job in the long run. The pay just isn’t even close. If someone in my family gets very sick, I’ll regret it. If we have another kid and need to move into a bigger house, I’ll regret it. Just don’t know if I’ll regret any of that more than missing stuff…

Whither

Scofflaw
Being there for my kids is very important to me. But doubling my income could give them a very different life… Would just be a life with less of me. What do they need more? A better school district? Or their dad around?
I'm a package car driver in the Midwest, but from what I've gathered, most people in our feeder dept (3 buildings and over 600 drivers on a single seniority list) work at least 50 hrs a week. Here the only way you might whittle it closer to 40 is by covering jobs shifting in the yard. You'd be "home daily," sure, but your schedule would be unpredictable and you're guaranteed to be working plenty of graveyards. The money and bennies are solid (although inflation is cutting everyone's pay across the board), but you might want to look into other options.

quad decade guy

I'm a package car driver in the Midwest, but from what I've gathered, most people in our feeder dept (3 buildings and over 600 drivers on a single seniority list) work at least 50 hrs a week. Here the only way you might whittle it closer to 40 is by covering jobs shifting in the yard. You'd be "home daily," sure, but your schedule would be unpredictable and you're guaranteed to be working plenty of graveyards. The money and bennies are solid (although inflation is cutting everyone's pay across the board), but you might want to look into other options.
Curious......like what? He's 33.....

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
I guess the main factor that would make or break the decision is whether or not RPCD’s making feeder would dovetail above me. That would make for a miserable 10-20 years.
It's not bad at a big hub. When they are hiring 25+ a year and most are off the street. Everyone is scared of change and will say how terrible it is. There are not many 8hr runs in feeders but NOBODY wants to take 8hr runs! They all go to low seniority guys.

specter208

I have a question myself for SoCal feeders. My area is looking for a lot of backup feeder drivers. Is it possible to remain both a package and feeder driver. There was a feeder driver here and I used to always see him in package and even told me he preferred package because it wasn’t as boring as feeder. He was a 30+ year veteran and recently retired.

quad decade guy

The union trades have been hiring like crazy for 2 years in my metro area. Wages in many of them as good or better than UPS, bennies comparable, and the hours are better. My wife started her apprenticeship at 38. OT is voluntary in her local.
Could you relate retirement and exact pay examples? And lay-off potential? You say trades....like what? Thanks. And you think this scenario is all over? Serious question. Supply chain considerations...

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I went into feedahs as a 21yo (still 21 haha), 7 months ago.

As it has been said, depending on your building you move up the list pretty quick. I have 6 below me, with 30+ being added this year.

Yeah on call sucks, but I've been bumping in getting my 40 lately. I'll 100% have a team bid this year if they add the runs, they've been talking about.
How you gonna sleep in the same bed another man just got out of?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I have a question myself for SoCal feeders. My area is looking for a lot of backup feeder drivers. Is it possible to remain both a package and feeder driver. There was a feeder driver here and I used to always see him in package and even told me he preferred package because it wasn’t as boring as feeder. He was a 30+ year veteran and recently retired.
How you gonna do both

4ups

I’m currently a FedEx Express RTD with 15 years in. Have my own route. But still, not topped out. I’m currently making $27/hr. Have 4 weeks vacation plus 4 floaters/personal days & 5 sick days. I also have a family with 2 toddlers…. Well I have the opportunity to go permanent FT Feeder off the street. I know starting out I’m going to be on the on-call cover list. But with no seniority and every RPCD going feeder bumping me down, I realize I’m probably going to be on that list for a long time. It would initially be a pay cut going back down to $21/hr with who knows what kind of hours…. Being 33 years old, is this a move you guys would make? Or am I going to be on-call till I’m 50 years old. In 4 years I’d be topped out at UPS and making WAY more money. But is all that money worth it if my kids are going to be growing up without me. I know UPS is the way to go long term. What would current Feeders do?
Tough call......in Ky there are plenty of opportunities, but probably say bye to the kids.Feeder hours are typically longer for hires as 25 and 30 year guys want the shorter runs. There is also a lot of night work. Louisville has a very large feeder list, guessing well over 600 now between 2 buildings. Not sure about Lexington . I would probably stay where you are as it sounds pretty good and day work...cant take the money with you...Good Luck

4ups

I’m currently a FedEx Express RTD with 15 years in. Have my own route. But still, not topped out. I’m currently making $27/hr. Have 4 weeks vacation plus 4 floaters/personal days & 5 sick days. I also have a family with 2 toddlers…. Well I have the opportunity to go permanent FT Feeder off the street. I know starting out I’m going to be on the on-call cover list. But with no seniority and every RPCD going feeder bumping me down, I realize I’m probably going to be on that list for a long time. It would initially be a pay cut going back down to $21/hr with who knows what kind of hours…. Being 33 years old, is this a move you guys would make? Or am I going to be on-call till I’m 50 years old. In 4 years I’d be topped out at UPS and making WAY more money. But is all that money worth it if my kids are going to be growing up without me. I know UPS is the way to go long term. What would current Feeders do?

4ups

4ups

IMO you should stay where you are. Time off, 40 hour work(day) week and vacations. going to take a long while to make that up.
Go to feeders and say goodbye to the family as a new hire. you will have long shifts most likely and probably night. In other words the least favorable jobs. One positive is UPS labor pool is aging and retiring as company is expanding .GOOD LUCK on decision