Express to UPS?

It will be fine

No, I'm doing this package delivery work now while I'm young and still enjoy it. When I get my degree I'll either try to move up in Fedex or UPS or find something else. I have no plans to be a 55yr old still jumping out of trucks. no way.
Stick to that plan and get out of Fedex. Fedex is a graveyard of people with degrees that got comfortable. You'll be disappointed if you stick around too long.

SmithBarney

Well very few seasoned Express drivers could ever do the UPS version, very few have experienced(or could handle) a bricked out P1000, and having to run 24SPORH for 10+hrs on road.

Now if you are young, you could possibly. If you are sick of FedEx, go for it, you are young and will rebound, unfortunately many at FEDEX hung around for that "big" raise that never happened are now stuck getting paid 30% less than their coworkers, and making a 1/3 of what UPS drivers make.

UPS work is hard, but that paycheck at the end of the week is representative of the hard work you put in(and it feels good to look at that check, and spend it too)

vantexan

Yeah, I'd like to raise a total sh-t storm about it but there's a manager that I want to look out for (and the senior basically told me he'd be the fall guy).

And this is why I want to leave Express, I busted my ass as a part timer, getting BZ's, accolades, saying yes to anything. Now when it was my turn to ask for something back, Fedex didn't deliver.
I wanted to transfer from Tyler, TX to Cleveland, TN. Mgr and senior mgr told me I couldn't transfer because there was a hiring freeze and only mgrs and swings were being allowed to make lateral moves. Two things: I had a signed offer letter and I checked JCATS. My senior had posted 2 FT courier positions at our sister station in Longview and there were plenty of other FT courier postings. So I sat down at the computer and filed a detailed GFT. Next day my senior called me on my cellphone and said "Good news, the hiring freeze has been lifted!" Our district director even had me call him to explain, with a lot of tap dancing, what had just happened. And they asked me if I could go ahead and withdraw the GFT. I was literally getting my rear end kissed. I couldn't withdraw as it turned out, but HR was able to do it for them. Point is, don't believe anything about fall guys, etc. They're all in it together, and will tell you whatever they think they can get away with. You should file a GFT, it's your money, your right, and they're counting on you being Mr. Nice Guy so that they can continue to take advantage of you. Those mgrs in Tyler? Both eventually fired for other things. Seen way too many like them that always hang themselves if you give them enough rope. File the GFT and see just how fast they correct this.

Last edited:

dezguy

Stick to that plan and get out of Fedex. Fedex is a graveyard of people with degrees that got comfortable. You'll be disappointed if you stick around too long.
Bang on!

There are plenty of guys at my sta, myself included who went to school, couldn't get into their field straight out of university or college and started working at FedEx as a stop gap.

It's very easy to wake up one day, ten years down the road and find yourself stuck here because life doesn't stop.

Don't make the mistake I made and think you're making alright money and can just jump into your field whenever you want. There comes a time when it becomes too late and you have too many responsibilities to be able to take a big pay cut to go where you should have in the first place.

Brisket

I'm not familiar with the earn and learn program, I'm going to school with a GI Bill so tuition isn't an issue.

And I'm aware UPS is hard work, I've seen the inside of an UPS 19 footer in the morning before. I'm also aware I'm working for a company that sets me up for failure everyday and can't seem to give me what is rightfully mine.

Oh well you are all set then and thank you for your service.

Yes the trailers are packed...

MAKAVELI

Well very few seasoned Express drivers could ever do the UPS version, very few have experienced(or could handle) a bricked out P1000, and having to run 24SPORH for 10+hrs on road.
I wouldn't say couldn't. More like wouldn't. Most seasoned couriers get comfortable with the FedEx workload and don't have the mindset to do the UPS delivery workload. But for those that are "motivated" it is very doable. It really depends on what you want and what you are willing to sacrifice to get it. If you are young, and that's a relative term, with a strong work ethic and a desire to make more $ and benefits, I'd say go for it.

!Retired!

Of course, I know it won't be perfect there. But it will be better than a company that sends its drivers out knowing they can't make P1 service and then looks the other way when drivers falsify. and don't forget the "extra time" BS. Oh and I'm a swing with a signed offer letter that does swing work yet I haven't seen a single penny of swing pay.
If there's a problem making service on a particular, eat the lates and request a check ride. I can't understand why people complain about being 'setup to fail' but do nothing about it.
Offer letter states as of Sept XX 2016 I'd be getting paid at a swing rate. All my paychecks still have me at my courier rate, which of course is less.
I would have been on the phone after the second paycheck, if it wasn't corrected immediately. On the plus side, you'll get a nice backpay check.
I've been told I'll be getting back pay from when my effective swing start date. I was taken off my route after the interview and have been doing swing work since. All I know about the offer letter is there was a conflict between managers about moving me to M-friend or keeping me Tues-Sat. The ball was dropped by management.
I've never heard of a Tuesday-Saturday swing driver. Wheel driver yes, but not a regular swing.

bacha29

For what it's worth. The other day at least one analyst down graded UPS and pretty significantly. The reason? The failure on UPS part to grow out it's capacity fast enough to keep up with demand. But once they do catch up given that it's a model of corporate efficiency this cobbled together holding company called Fedex might just have to consolidate fast and furious or there might just be a huge gap between it and UPS. If they do the Smith's aren't going to let anything or anybody get in their way.

bbsam

Staff member
For what it's worth. The other day at least one analyst down graded UPS and pretty significantly. The reason? The failure on UPS part to grow out it's capacity fast enough to keep up with demand. But once they do catch up given that it's a model of corporate efficiency this cobbled together holding company called Fedex might just have to consolidate fast and furious or there might just be a huge gap between it and UPS. If they do the Smith's aren't going to let anything or anybody get in their way.
Don't discount the brains at FedEx. There's a reason that for moving everything to the orange fedex logo. Some things are pure speculation but I find it hard to believe the change is just a fashion statement.

bacha29

Don't discount the brains at FedEx. There's a reason that for moving everything to the orange fedex logo. Some things are pure speculation but I find it hard to believe the change is just a fashion statement.
Yep . Something big is coming it could be brutal and very seldom is it a good deal for contractors and or bottom level employees. They always take the brunt. What we learned the hard way at Ground that change is the only constant and nothing's binding.

Last edited by a moderator:

It will be fine

For the OP I wouldn't worry too much about the future of either company. I would caution against going to UPS. They have too many incentives to stick around, higher wage, better benefits etc. he should take his degree and get in whatever field that is. In the long run he'll probably be happier. You don't want to get used to the paycheck and wake up 15 years down the road with grown children you hardly saw because you were hauling boxes until 8pm everyday. With an education he should only stay in the industry if he's in management and even then I'd use it as an experience stepping stone to something better.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Yeah, I'd like to raise a total sh-t storm about it but there's a manager that I want to look out for (and the senior basically told me he'd be the fall guy).

Really, that shouldn't be your concern. You've done your part and they haven't. It's been months and you don't have what they said you're supposed to get. No matter how much I like the manager, he had months to get the pay right and failed to do so. If I woke up in your shoes I doubt I would bother with a notice. No point in worrying about them when they have been dragging their feet for so long.

Oldfart

Still trying to give financial advice? I would rather listen to Bernie Madoff than a hack like you that THINKS he know everything about finance. Better stick to something like playing with paper dolls. You got an erection several months ago because some one downgraded FDX stock. Meanwhile it is still sitting pretty in the mid $190 range. Shows what you know. NOTHING Meanwhile UPS stock is just above the 52 week low and way below the 52 week high.

It will be fine

Still trying to give financial advice? I would rather listen to Bernie Madoff than a hack like you that THINKS he know everything about finance. Better stick to something like playing with paper dolls. You got an erection several months ago because some one downgraded FDX stock. Meanwhile it is still sitting pretty in the mid $190 range. Shows what you know. NOTHING Meanwhile UPS stock is just above the 52 week low and way below the 52 week high.
To be fair Bernie Madoff probably knows quite a bit about the financial markets.

Oldfart

To be fair Bernie Madoff probably knows quite a bit about the financial markets.

Ok I would trust him over bacha. Bacha spews his crap and its pretty obvious he don't know squat. He basically cuts and paste his crap and likes to act like he is a financial wiz. I don't know squat either, that's why I read all I can and listen to money men, not some joker on a forum.

bacha29

You stupid SOB. Can't you read? The young man was wondering if he would be better off at UPS. What I was pointing out was that several weeks ago one analyst downgraded the stock of UNITED PARCEL SERVICE!. You're so blinded by your absolute devotion to your beloved Fedex that when a person takes note of what one analyst had to say about a competitor your paranoia is such that right away you go on the offensive when all I was doing was pointing out what challenges might await an entry level UPS employee. I apologize for not first considering the fact that someone like you wouldn't have enough brain activity to understand the point that was being made.