Extreme Cold

BrownDog5117

Just curious. Has UPS ever called it for extreme cold? We are going to have a high of single digits and a wind chill of - double digits. I'm definitely going to work tomorrow, but I was just thinking about how cold it would have to be for them to cancel work! haha

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
It's the rain beforehand that will ice over on the road ... black ice sucks. Thank goodness I still have my ice cleats from last winter

this is what may cancel our day in eggplant land.

I'm still rocking the shorts too

Cold is when the high is -10 and the wind-chill is like -70 or more. Even then, all they say is to stay hydrated
Walk like a penguin.
TBmdZGucMuy5O.gif

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
Just curious. Has UPS ever called it for extreme cold? We are going to have a high of single digits and a wind chill of - double digits. I'm definitely going to work tomorrow, but I was just thinking about how cold it would have to be for them to cancel work! haha
Right now it’s -6 actual temp where I am .. tomorrow is just a regular work day . They won’t even mention the cold temps at pcm .. only been called in once while delivering in 18years due to a blizzard

barnyard

KTM rider
The coldest that I worked, the high for the day was -17. I had a diesel that day and could not shut it off between stops. If you dress for it, it is not that bad.

oldngray

nowhere special
The coldest that I worked, the high for the day was -17. I had a diesel that day and could not shut it off between stops. If you dress for it, it is not that bad.
I remember a couple of times when it got down around -15 to -20 and we got the OK to keep our engines running. Not many thieves out in that kind of weather.

Last edited:

Poop Head

Judge me.
We had a driver, last year, freeze solid while walking off a long driveway. Thankfully, homeowner came home and saw him, drug him inside and thawed him out. Management told him to punch his lunch and breaks for that time and keep going

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

Not for cold, as far I as know, but they have called it for heavy snow or accumulation of ice.

ManInBrown

Lol. Call it for extreme cold. We had a snowstorm 3 years ago when I was in package, we got called off the road at sunset. The next day the roads were clear, driving was fine. It was FREEZING. I’ve never been so cold in my life. I don’t know if it was the snow on the ground freezing up the air but I’ve never felt cold like that in my life. Homeless people were ordered off the streets of NYC. They kept us out there till 10pm. It was the single worst day I’ve ever had at UPS. And I’m someone who has all the top shelf gear for cold weather. Everything. I thought I was going to lose my toes to frostbite. I was terrified to take my socks off when I got home.

barnyard

KTM rider
I have brought a pair of bibs along. When I finished my businesses, I put on the bibs and finished. Right now, the forecast high for Friday is -1. I will probably bring them along on Friday.