Extreme Discipline?!?!

DVIR

Hey guys i’m sorry if this is a lot.

i’m having one heck of a weird situation at my building. I almost have 3 years seniority and was promoted from 22.4 to rpcd with my own route in a little over a year. I have to admit i was a guy who worked way to hard and took every shortcut to get the job done. Regular high fives and fist pounds from management for crushing my route and being out by 6 no matter how many stops or pickup pieces I had.

A new supervisor brought me into the office with my shop steward and manager over the issue of skipping lunch, not following orion and stealing time. I said i don’t steal time and I was probably sorting or loading pickups during those disputed times.

After this meeting they followed me on road and took pictures. I was accused of being a liability, working unsafe and going up dangerous driveways. I responded by requesting an ojs to determine what is safe to do, walking off every driveway, going at a safe pace and taking my full hour lunch. No supervisor was available but This resulted in massive service failures(40+missed pieces with them taking 40 stops off) which I called into the building asking for help.

They are accusing me of sabotage for following what they said to do and issued me a notice of “discipline up to and including discharge.” At this meeting my manager told me I needed to go back to doing my old numbers and i asked him how I can possibly do that when he said i was working unsafe and he was disappointed in how I made deliveries. He and his supervisor called me a liability as well. He said i’m on the path to losing my job and there is a meeting with the division manager.

After this meeting i reported to my completely blown out truck that my shop steward called completely unsafe and he took pictures. One cover driver took what couldn’t be jammed in and i left 1.5 hours late. After finding 11 stops i punched into lunch and sent a message saying “ truck is a disaster bussiness stops are at risk I need help”. Two more cover drivers came, picked up stops and had their trucks filled by my pickups.

I guess my question is am I doing anything wrong to lose my job? I love this job but management has forced me into a spot where i have to work completely unsafe according to their standards or miss pieces. They gave me a notice of discharge for doing what they asked me to do.

-follow orion
-don’t back driveways
-deliver safely
-don’t run
-take lunch

Overpaid Union Thug

File an Article 37 for harassment. And also an Article 6 for extra-contractual agreements for demanding that you meet production standards Continue to follow as many methods as possible. Accurately record and actually take every second of your breaks. DON’T sort during that time. Follow ORION as much as safely possible.

Darmark7

Retired 2020. Not my Problem Anymore!
Do everything by the book. Do not worry about time. After running and doing things wrong for so long it is hard to do the job right. Start now by Pretending that there is a supervisor with you every day and if you wouldn’t do it with a supervisor watching then don’t do it without one. This will get you trained to do the job right and to where they can’t harass you for doing something wrong or unsafe. If they give you to much work make it their problem, it’s not your job to make up for their over dispatching. You have to stop thinking you have to be off early. I went in with the thought I was going to have a 13 hr day and any less was a short day. Good lesson to learn is that supervisors are not your friend. Those high fives and fist bumps today for running and doing things wrong will get a knife in your back and fired tomorrow. Supervisors and center managers that have been there any time at all have had to screw over many people. If you don’t have a personality to screw over people you don’t go into management or if you do have a heart you won’t stay long. Think of yourself and your family not people that could care less about you. Many here knows my feelings about UPS. I made it 39+ yrs by doing my job and going home. I didn’t hang around and shop talk with employees or supervisors. I didn’t come home and even talk about work with my family and when I left that place I walked out the last day into retirement without saying a word. Good luck.

Last edited:

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
You don't need to "crush" the job every day, and take every shortcut possible to be off by 6. The last thing I'd do is fist bump a member of management. They are not your friend or your buddy, never will be. Take your breaks and lunches per the contract. Follow orion as much as possible and deliver as safely as possible. If you have to walk off a long driveway, so be it. How are these shortcuts working out for you so far? I retired after 38 years. They play games, you play games back.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.

i’m having one heck of a weird situation at my building. I almost have 3 years seniority and was promoted from 22.4 to rpcd with my own route in a little over a year. I have to admit i was a guy who worked way to hard and took every shortcut to get the job done. Regular high fives and fist pounds from management for crushing my route and being out by 6 no matter how many stops or pickup pieces I had.

A new supervisor brought me into the office with my shop steward and manager over the issue of skipping lunch, not following orion and stealing time. I said i don’t steal time and I was probably sorting or loading pickups during those disputed times.

After this meeting they followed me on road and took pictures. I was accused of being a liability, working unsafe and going up dangerous driveways. I responded by requesting an ojs to determine what is safe to do, walking off every driveway, going at a safe pace and taking my full hour lunch. No supervisor was available but This resulted in massive service failures(40+missed pieces with them taking 40 stops off) which I called into the building asking for help.

They are accusing me of sabotage for following what they said to do and issued me a notice of “discipline up to and including discharge.” At this meeting my manager told me I needed to go back to doing my old numbers and i asked him how I can possibly do that when he said i was working unsafe and he was disappointed in how I made deliveries. He and his supervisor called me a liability as well. He said i’m on the path to losing my job and there is a meeting with the division manager.

After this meeting i reported to my completely blown out truck that my shop steward called completely unsafe and he took pictures. One cover driver took what couldn’t be jammed in and i left 1.5 hours late. After finding 11 stops i punched into lunch and sent a message saying “ truck is a disaster bussiness stops are at risk I need help”. Two more cover drivers came, picked up stops and had their trucks filled by my pickups.

I guess my question is am I doing anything wrong to lose my job? I love this job but management has forced me into a spot where i have to work completely unsafe according to their standards or miss pieces. They gave me a notice of discharge for doing what they asked me to do.

-follow orion
-don’t back driveways
-deliver safely
-don’t run
-take lunch
My center manager had an orgasm just reading what you do. That's basic training in my center.

ManInBrown

Why weren’t you working safely and by the methods to begin with? You set a precedent by being a hero. At least you got a couple atta boys and some fist bumps for your trouble. Good luck.

New drivers take notice. Being a hero gets you nowhere.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider

-follow orion
-don’t back driveways
-deliver safely
-don’t run
-take lunch
They are trying to scare you and it’s working. They have NO leg to stand on as long as you work safe, don’t steal time, or falsify records. They told you what to do, you’re doing it. The rest is their problem.

35years

Gravy route
They gave me a notice of discharge for doing what they asked me to do.

-follow orion
-don’t back driveways
-deliver safely
-don’t run
-take lunch
They gave you notice of discharge? They fired you? And they named these actions as the reasons?

It isnt adding up. Did you get a warning letter? Did you get a suspension letter? Did you get a letter of termination? Did you recieve anything in writing?

A warning letter will list possible further discipline up to and including discharge. I assume you got a warning letter for failing to use the methods OR working unsafe. This is not a "notice of discharge". Grieve the discipline asking to have the letter removed... Also file the Article 37.

When they talked to you each and every time did you have a steward present?

Your days of running are over. Everything by the book. Safe and by the methods.

Last edited:

542thruNthru

It's a scare tactic. Follow the methods and document everything they tell you to do and communicate only through the DIAD and request your diad messages every night. They are going to try and come after you for not following the methods 100% to try and scare you into returning to your old ways. Don't fall for it.

35years

Gravy route
And don't enter that office without a steward.

Understand....If you go back to running and working unsafe they can discipline you. If you decide to work safe and by the book you dont have to lie. You have the truth on your side.

If you run you are at thier mercy.

Last edited:

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
And don't enter that office without a steward.

Understand....If you go back to running and working unsafe they can discipline you. If you decide to work safe and by the book you dont have to lie. You have the truth on your side.

If you run you are at thier mercy.
Be an honest man and you have nothing to worry about. You won’t have to cook up an alibi, you can tell them what actually happened. This has saved my ass many times. Sound advice.

DVIR

They gave you notice of discharge? They fired you? And they named these actions as the reasons?

It isnt adding up. Did you get a warning letter? Did you get a suspension letter? Did you get a letter of termination? Did you recieve anything in writing?

A warning letter will list possible further discipline up to and including discharge. I assume you got a warning letter for failing to use the methods OR working unsafe. This is not a "notice of discharge". Grieve the discipline asking to have the letter removed... Also file the Article 37.

When they talked to you each and every time did you have a steward present?
They gave a warning letter because i sheeted a package as missed when i found it at 4:53 instead of after 5 (i didn’t know as management trained me to only use EC and i figured it was time to do things right). They then accused me of sabatoging the operation and gave me a “notice of discipline up to discharge”. As of now i have nothing in writing but got an email saying i have a warning letter. I had my shop steward every time.

nWo

I don't understand why you would sheet something as missed at 453. Sheet it as closed if they are closed. Deliver it if they are open.

DVIR

I don't understand why you would sheet something as missed at 453. Sheet it as closed if they are closed. Deliver it if they are open.
I honestly was just never trained on using missed, in my mind i knew they closed at 5 and i wouldn’t make it there since i had pick ups so i put it as missed. In the past it would have been emergency condition as thats what they drilled into every new drivers head. Some guys even put their clerk work as EC

rod

Retired 22 years
Let this be a lesson to all runner-gunners out there. Eventually it will come back to bite you. Everyone does it in the beginning but as soon as you are in the Union work safe at a reasonable speed and follow their methods. The sure way to get an easier day is be a methods man. .

ManInBrown

Let this be a lesson to all runner-gunners out there. Eventually it will come back to bite you. Everyone does it in the beginning but as soon as you are in the Union work safe at a reasonable speed and follow their methods. The sure way to get an easier day is be a methods man. .
Yup, do what you gotta do to get hired. Would never hate on anyone for running to get the job. The day you make book and become permanent you do everything the right way. Supervisors and management are not your friend. Atta boys and good job champ lolol. UPS is the only employer where the day they hire you, they start building a case to try to fire you.