Extreme heat inside UPS vehicles is oppressive. UPS will not get away with this oppressive treatment forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
I drive with my bulkhead door open this time of year …if they have a problem with it I could call my local news station 🤷‍♂️

🧔‍♂️✊

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
In the extreme heat using this method what is your estimate of the temperature of the cargo area?
Still way too hot Mr. @Integrity…I got a chance to sit in a brand new package car this morning , fully equipped with multiple fans facing driver and great rear ventilation.

the problem is ….we only have 1 out of 100 package cars.

time for UPS to upgrade our aging fleet..
✊🧔‍♂️

PPH_over_9000

According to the article in the original post:

Although individual responses to extreme heat will vary, at an air temperature greater than 44°C /111.2 friend an environment of high humidity, is it now widely accepted that the human body will be at the very limits of its tolerance.

What is the longest you have had to stay in those extreme temperatures?

👍

Well, I think that's kind of a loaded question. I've never "had" to be back there for more than a few seconds at a time, excluding bulk stops. My problem was always not finding a package-- I always forced myself to look for much longer than I shouldve instead of sorting a shelf, checking once and moving on if it wasn't where it should be. Double back if it turns up later but no worries either way.

Because of that, I've been in the back for upwards of 25-30min in the dead of Summer. I paid the price for it too, with heat exhaustion and a trip to the ER.

I don't play games with the heat anymore.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Well, I think that's kind of a loaded question. I've never "had" to be back there for more than a few seconds at a time, excluding bulk stops. My problem was always not finding a package-- I always forced myself to look for much longer than I shouldve instead of sorting a shelf, checking once and moving on if it wasn't where it should be. Double back if it turns up later but no worries either way.
I get it.
Because of that, I've been in the back for upwards of 25-30min in the dead of Summer. I paid the price for it too, with heat exhaustion and a trip to the ER.
Wow that sucks. A work place injury/illness? How did UPS management treat you?
I don't play games with the heat anymore.
Not one of us should.

PPH_over_9000

I get it.

Wow that sucks. A work place injury/illness? How did UPS management treat you?

Not one of us should.

All the way up to center manager: they seemed concerned for my well-being and genuinely invested in my recovery and preventing it from happening again. I haven't been worked into the ground since then, either. They seemed to realize that they found my breaking point, and rather than keep pushing they kind of eased off a bit.

Building manager and higher: I was literally called lazy and stupid in a meeting the day after I got out of the hospital. Since then, I haven't spoken with anybody higher than my center manager without asking for a steward-- and because I haven't brought down any discipline on me that's meant that I haven't interacted at all with anybody higher than my center manager outside of a "good morning" and "hold on, let me grab [a steward] real quick" if they try to take it any further than a greeting.

I'm one of the few but I actually like my management team a lot more often than I'm pissed off with them. I've known most of them since I started preload what feels like a lifetime ago.

rod

Retired 22 years
What's the hottest temps you remember dealing with, Upstate? Assuming you delivered in UpstateNY like your handle implies, I can't imagine the weather much different from what I deal with around DC. Your Winters were probably much worse, though.
Upstate had a climate controlled environment while delivering packages off the clock in his own vehicle while on his way home. Ask him about it. He's pretty proud of all the time and work he donated to the company

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
....unless you also ride with the overhead or barn doors open this would be a waste of time and would jack up your telematics numbers...
we don’t have telematics anymore grandpa,
and by reading your previous post you did the same thing…🤦‍♂️

your generation of drivers is the biggest babies I’ve ever met , grow a set

OH NO TELEMATICS SAID MY SEAT BELTS OFF , who gives a 🤬

✊🧔‍♂️

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Well, I know for a fact that they had Telematics this past Peak, so it may be more that they are no longer monitoring it rather than they don't have it anymore.

Part of classroom training for new drivers was monitoring Telematics reports. It's amazing what some of the drivers are doing on road, especially when it comes to backing.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
Well, I know for a fact that they had Telematics this past Peak, so it may be more that they are no longer monitoring it rather than they don't have it anymore.

Part of classroom training for new drivers was monitoring Telematics reports. It's amazing what some of the drivers are doing on road, especially when it comes to backing.

Serious lack of training at UPS lately by management, it’s not all the new drivers fault. ( Covid-19 social distancing affected this ) We’ve had more crashes this year than probably 10 years prior. UPS needs to get serious about training our new hires.

and management needs to get serious about their jobs…
🧔‍♂️✊

Thebrownblob

Serious lack of training at UPS lately by management, it’s not all the new drivers fault. ( Covid-19 social distancing affected this ) We’ve had more crashes this year than probably 10 years prior. UPS needs to get serious about training our new hires.

and management needs to get serious about their jobs…
🧔‍♂️✊
The new management that had been hired in the last couple years are poorly paid, poorly trained, have lost most of the benefits that made the job worthwhile. Carol has destroyed the culture this is the fruits of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.