Failed breathalyzer

Box Ox

Admitted I had a problem with drinking outside work last year. Completed all of the classes. Have been going to meetings. ASAP called me in for a test before Christmas. I was expecting a urine test which I knew I would pass! Was informed that it was just a breathalyzer, which I knew I would pass! Blew a point .04 and then a point in 0.34. I hadn’t been drinking. Have tried to contact my union steward and center manager. They told me I would just have to wait. I just want to get back to work and have never been inebriated or under the influence at work. Anyone have any advice?

Good on you for doing that. I have a close (non-UPS) family member I wish would do the same for other substances.

Anyway, you blew a .04 and then a .34? Sounds like faulty equipment to me. A .34 level of intoxication would be pretty hard to hide, with or without a breathalyzer. And you probably weren't stumbling in or anything.

I know a good guy/fellow driver who went through the same random testing and stuff you're going through now. Several years later, he's doing absolutely fine. Good luck with everything.

riley45

Good on you for doing that. I have a close (non-UPS) family member I wish would do the same for other substances.

Anyway, you blew a .04 and then a .34? Sounds like faulty equipment to me. A .34 level of intoxication would be pretty hard to hide, with or without a breathalyzer. And you probably weren't stumbling in or anything.

I know a good guy/fellow driver who went through the same random testing and stuff you're going through now. Several years later, he's doing absolutely fine. Good luck with everything.
Box ox, I appreciate the encouraging words. I self admitted because I watched my mom die of alcohol. I have never had an issue at work, it was something I saw out of work. I realize I created the situation for myself and I have no one to blame but me. I only came to the site for help and advice. I just want to provide from my fiancé and my pups. If UPS is going to terminate me I understand. I would just like for them to tell me sooner than later so I am not spending part of my savings.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Box ox, I appreciate the encouraging words. I self admitted because I watched my mom die of alcohol. I have never had an issue at work, it was something I saw out of work. I realize I created the situation for myself and I have no one to blame but me. I only came to the site for help and advice. I just want to provide from my fiancé and my pups. If UPS is going to terminate me I understand. I would just like for them to tell me sooner than later so I am not spending part of my savings.

I think if you get a good lawyer, you could win.
If that mouthwash is prescription and the breathalyzer numbers went down the way it did, you should be golden.

If you were .4 or .34, you would be an incoherent mess.
I would suggest getting witnesses that you walked in fine and did not look or act intoxicated.
Good Luck Brother

cachmeifucan

I wish you luck. But it seems fishy that you carry mouth wash at work. And you would take some before a test. If it was your first test then you didn't know how you would be tested. Everyone knows mouthwash has alcohol. If your in 705 call jc. And start begging. It doesn't help that a ups driver just crashed drunk. Maybe they can offer you a job with no driving involved. 22.3 go to the meetings let them see you face to face play on human emotions. I wish you luck maybe you can think of a instance where they gave someone a break it may set a past practice.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
I would have gone to the union hall that day and talked with anyone who would listen. You should be in contact with at least your business agent and should know what is going on.

P

pickup

I understand this. I have been reading through as many forums and threads as I could. But nothing I have read seems to correspond with my situation. As I have stated I am not an angel. I asked for help outside of work and this is where I was directed. I understand I was not supposed to blow over a .02. If you read my original post why would I expect to come in for a urine test knowing I would pass If I didn’t think I would pass a breathalyzer?

Our random drug tests in Feeders always include a breathalyzer and a urine test.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
Our random drug tests in Feeders always include a breathalyzer and a urine test.

And they are random. He says they called him in for a test which some may take as them calling him at home to come in for a test, I take it that he was already at work and they called him into the office so the tester could do their job. In feeders you punch in and the tester magically appears and takes you directly to do your business.

If you happened to be at work and carrying a bottle of mouthwash on your person that's hard to believe. Even with your medication, why would you not just carry water or Gatorade with you?

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
And they are random. He says they called him in for a test which some may take as them calling him at home to come in for a test, I take it that he was already at work and they called him into the office so the tester could do their job. In feeders you punch in and the tester magically appears and takes you directly to do your business.

If you happened to be at work and carrying a bottle of mouthwash on your person that's hard to believe. Even with your medication, why would you not just carry water or Gatorade with you?
The world is full of wierdos. Like the guys with those dental floss picks hanging out of their mouths all day. Then they leave them all over the cab.

542thruNthru

Here you are sent to the clinic about 10 min away to take your random test. This is for people that have had issues in the past. Feeder may be different.

The tests always seem to happen the day after a major holiday.

BrownRecycler

I will respond one last time for you. I used mouthwash right before I walked in expecting a urine test. Why would I walk in thanking I am going to take a urine test and expect to pass if I don’t think I will pass a breathalyzer? The reason I use the mouthwash is because my doctor put me on a new medicine that causes dry mouth. If you have to know that medicine is called Concerta.

Use Xylitol not mouthwash for dry mouth for now on.

Xylitol | Oral Science

Faceplanted

Good chance if your being honest about the mouthwash that it caused you to fail. I’m familiar with concerta and it does cause dry mouth, so I can understand why you would use mouthwash before interacting with other humans.

Talk to an attorny ASAP. Mouth wash can cause a breathalyzer fail, as well as a cheek swab fail. Using tons of hand Sanatizer can also cause a cheek swab test fail. Urine and blood are the only ways to really check, and most drugs will be out of both of those within 48-60 hours due to half life.

.34 is :censored2:faced. And if the test was that far off over the span of 2 back to back blows, there is also a chance the breathalyzer may have been the issue. The police departments are supposed to re-calibrate them on a strict schedule because of this.

If your being honest I really do feel bad for you.

Last edited:

Faceplanted

If you ever took stimulants for adhd you would know how bad dry mouth and bad breath gets while on them.

Skooney

Curious, did you drive to this random test? Or did they come pick you up?

I drank every day for more than 15 years. Been sober going on 11 years now. I got a DUI and that was sort of my coming to Jesus moment.. I went through the same program with UPS when I got my DUI. If you blew a .34 you would have been destroyed, there would have been no hiding that..

Faceplanted

Curious, did you drive to this random test? Or did they come pick you up?

I drank every day for 15 years. Been sober going on 11 years now. I got a DUI and that was sort of my coming to Jesus moment.. If you blew a .04 there is no way you would have driven. You would have been destroyed, there would have been no hiding that.
.08 is the legal limit in my state. A .04 could very easially be residual booze after a night of hard drinking. Now .34 is borderline death for some people. Big difference.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
.08 is the legal limit in my state. A .04 could very easially be residual booze after a night of hard drinking.

Have you ever read Article 35 of the National Master ?

Do you know what the terms of the OP's "return to work" agreement are ?

He expected to give urine.... and failed a breathalyzer.

Figure it out.

Faceplanted

Have you ever read Article 35 of the National Master ?

Do you know what the terms of the OP's "return to work" agreement are ?

He expected to give urine.... and failed a breathalyzer.

Figure it out.
Figure what out? It’s not me so I’m going off of what the op is saying. I don’t know if he’s being honest or not. I’m just simple stating it’s known that mouthwash can cause a high reading.

If he was drinking the night before he would just as easily fail a urine test. So I’m not seeing your angle on this.

Skooney

Figure what out? It’s not me so I’m going off of what the op is saying. I don’t know if he’s being honest or not. I’m just simple stating it’s known that mouthwash can cause a high reading.

If he was drinking the night before he would just as easily fail a urine test. So I’m not seeing your angle on this.

I'm guessing he's pointing to the fact their "return to work" agreement may have stated he would have a urine test. Not a breathalyzer.

But only the OP would know that.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

I'm guessing he's pointing to the fact their "return to work" agreement may have stated he would have a urine test. Not a breathalyzer.

But only the OP would know that.

The testing protocols and rehab stipulations are laid out in Article 35.

Violate them.... and you're gone.

That's what happened.

-Bug-