FAKE FEDEX WORKERS REALLY COPS!

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Why would that matter in the case of searching FedEx packages? Can’t we open up anything for any reason?
Precisely. If the assignment is to interdict drugs, it seems immaterial what influence the officer has with the dog.

The real excitement begins when they set up a raid for when the courier delivers the package!

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Why would that matter in the case of searching FedEx packages? Can’t we open up anything for any reason?
I've witnessed three types of police involvement. One is we have a package that we think is drugs and we call them and let them do their thing. I've never asked why we just don't open it, but I suspect that it's to prevent the claim that "The FedEx people opened the package and put drugs in it" or something along those lines. Joe Suspect could always allege that the FedEx employee was looking to ditch his own drugs for some reason, or who knows what. Better to let the cops go through their process.

The second is that the cops know of a specific shipment and they want to intercept it or control the delivery.

The third is the most common that I've experienced. Several cops come in during the sort and look at packages as they go down the belt. If one looks suspicious for whatever reason, they pull it and do their thing.

So to answer your question, yes, we can open 'em up but we don't in these cases because it's easier to let the cops do it.

59 Dano

The #1 tell, according to the deputy, was a domestic airbill. Many times with an obviously fake, or no, return address.
The guys I talked to during a sort said the big tell for them is a package that seems to have way too much tape or other type of wrapping. It's an attempt to conceal the scent. Sometimes the recipient's name or address raises an eyebrow.

There's probably all kinds of crap that most of us would never notice.

ExizFed

UPS terminal in my area has a cop sitting in the terminal literally all day. My terminal with ground not sure though.

El Morado Diablo

The second is that the cops know of a specific shipment and they want to intercept it or control the delivery.
We have had law enforcement in multiple times over the years doing just this. They are usually international packages and they know exactly what they are looking for.

One time they intercepted a package and decided to hold the package at the station. It was addressed to a business and they didn't want to make a scene by having it delivered. They waited at the station for a couple of days before they gave up. I think once the recipient knew something was odd about the shipment they got cold feet and didn't risk showing up to pick-up their package.

El Morado Diablo

The guys I talked to during a sort said the big tell for them is a package that seems to have way too much tape or other type of wrapping. It's an attempt to conceal the scent. Sometimes the recipient's name or address raises an eyebrow.

There's probably all kinds of crap that most of us would never notice.

The FBI puts more tape (security tape) on their packages than almost any other package I've seen. ;)

falcon back

The times I've witnessed it, the standards were that the cop who is in charge of the dog isn't allowed to know which package is the drug package. That keeps the cop from being able to coach the dog to the suspicious package. They had to lay out several packages (usually the real one plus four more) and they all had to be of similar size, shape, and -ideally- color. In theory, a dog can be trained to go after the one that looks different, so they do it this way to help eliminate the accusations that the dog was "helped" in some way.
They had packages and drug dogs in corporate?

59 Dano

We have had law enforcement in multiple times over the years doing just this. They are usually international packages and they know exactly what they are looking for.

One time they intercepted a package and decided to hold the package at the station. It was addressed to a business and they didn't want to make a scene by having it delivered. They waited at the station for a couple of days before they gave up. I think once the recipient knew something was odd about the shipment they got cold feet and didn't risk showing up to pick-up their package.
Yep. Hard to bust someone for it if they never take possession.
The FBI puts more tape (security tape) on their packages than almost any other package I've seen. ;)
That stuff has to be applied a certain way, too. You can spot their packages from a mile away.

P1 Failure

We have a cop in every day. Stands at the split during the sort and watches. Seems to find packages every day. He has a dog that sniffs em out. Dude has been at my station for years doing this.

59 Dano

And then you have to go back to the post to read it again to be sure YOU read it right. Lol.
Tell me about it! Now he wants to know when I saw cops at stations. Dang, I didn't record the dates and times. Guess that's just proof as to how very limited my DGO knowledge is, as he claims LOL!

falcon back

Tell me about it! Now he wants to know when I saw cops at stations. Dang, I didn't record the dates and times. Guess that's just proof as to how very limited my DGO knowledge is, as he claims LOL!
From posts you have made, those that know how DGO works or worked in my case, it is obvious your experience was minimal.

59 Dano

From posts you have made, those that know how DGO works or worked in my case, it is obvious your experience was minimal.
How about you compile a list of all the DGO things I've gotten wrong? This is obviously a huge deal for you and your obsession with it has me intrigued.

falcon back

How about you compile a list of all the DGO things I've gotten wrong? This is obviously a huge deal for you and your obsession with it has me intrigued.
Not worth my time. Plenty of people have caught you making post about something at a station that simply wasn't true. Stay in your lane and worry about corporate.

59 Dano

Not worth my time. Plenty of people have caught you making post about something at a station that simply wasn't true. Stay in your lane and worry about corporate.
LOL, you say it over and over but it's not worth your time (and plenty of other people have caught me lying about a station, dontcha know).

You're just repeating what you've heard, you don't have time, etc. etc. One copout after another.