Fake SFA Numbers

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Are you saying that when FedEx was given its RLA status back in 1971, it was wrong?

It was wrong then too, but less so. FedEx has always been a delivery company. Even when it was formed back in 1971 it was all about moving packages, and pilots still flew planes and didn't deliver boxes.The difference between now and then is that FedEx has become a systems integrator, the exact same thing as UPS. Both companies have multiple divisions that all do the same things in the same way. This also includes air operations. I've worked for both companies, so I do know what I'm talking about.

Smith was smart from the get-go because he knew getting classified under the arcane RLA would make unionization effectively impossible at fledgling Federal Express and it's successor, FedEx. For years, nobody really cared, because Smith made good on his pledge that he would always stay close to UPS in terms of wages and benefits. There wasn't much of a reason to either unionize or challenge the RLA Express Carrier Exemption. The Teamsters didn't care because Federal Express employees were actually not very interested in a union. Obviously,this is no longer the case.

In the mid 80's, it all changed, and so did Smith's philosophy. The take-aways began, and the wages and benefits no longer kept pace with UPS. By the late 90's, FedEx was taking everything back as quickly as possible, as Fred built the company into a multi-divisional giant, just like UPS. If anyone questioned the end of profit-sharing and the curtailment of wages and benefits, the answer was "we're building for your future" or "expanding the company" or some other BS. Most people expected that the good times (regular raises and good benefits) would come back once the "investment period" was over. Didn't happen. Fred was "investing" more in politics than in trucks and airplanes.

The RLA status has always been wrong, but it only became an issue when Fred S began to become an abusive employer. In the past, there wasn't a reason to really care. Now, there is, and your history lesson is complete. If you don't beleve me, do a little research, or talk with someone with a 4-digit employee number before you spew out more ignorance. You started in 2000, right? So I'm guessing you have little to no knowledge of the previous labor history of the company. Do some reading, and then come back with an informed perspective, OK?

bbsam

Staff member
It is now official; FedEx has had another year of its employee satisfaction survey (SFA) indicating even higher satisfaction with FedEx than before.

I’ve corresponded with Couriers I know in stations spread throughout the USA and a couple of people I know in HR in Memphis and FedEx has “officially” scored higher yet again.

Anyone that really believes this should have their head examined, so the “alternative hypothesis” is FedEx is officially cooking the results. Employee sentiment towards FedEx - compared to early last year - is even lower now, so FedEx’s claim that it has scored even higher on its employee satisfaction survey is complete bull.
Not that the numbers are completely legit, but is it possible that they scored higher because of overall economic fears, i.e. "I like Fedex alot more now after seeing other possibilities in the economy dry up almost overnight."?

vantexan

Not that the numbers are completely legit, but is it possible that they scored higher because of overall economic fears, i.e. "I like Fedex alot more now after seeing other possibilities in the economy dry up almost overnight."?

That's possible, also there has been a alot of turnover, with newhires who don't have the perspective older couriers have. And probably there's a bit of paranoia, wondering just how anonymous the survey really is. A real test of employee satisfaction would be to allow us to vote on a union.

LTFedExer

It was wrong then too, but less so. FedEx has always been a delivery company. Even when it was formed back in 1971 it was all about moving packages, and pilots still flew planes and didn't deliver boxes.The difference between now and then is that FedEx has become a systems integrator, the exact same thing as UPS. Both companies have multiple divisions that all do the same things in the same way. This also includes air operations. I've worked for both companies, so I do know what I'm talking about.
Is it EXACTLY the same? I don't recall ever delivering a Ground package and I don't think Ground has ever delivered an Express package. Do I remember reading somewhere that when UPS launched their Air service that they were covered under the RLA? Only after they integrated Air and Ground together was their status changed to NLRA. FedEx has never integrated the 2 together, therefore it's not the same....is it?

LTFedExer

I stand corrected. I found the article I was referring to. When UPS started its Air division, FedEx fought to get UPS covered under the RLA even though most of its packages never see the inside of a plane. Because the 2 are integrated, they were not allowed to as opposed to FedEx which the 2 are operated separately.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I stand corrected. I found the article I was referring to. When UPS started its Air division, FedEx fought to get UPS covered under the RLA even though most of its packages never see the inside of a plane. Because the 2 are integrated, they were not allowed to as opposed to FedEx which the 2 are operated separately.

FedEx should have always been under the NLRA. The whole premise of an "Express Carrier Exemption" is bogus. It's been a political gift to FedEx for way too long. Interesting that you chose an avatar featuring a noted genius. Hmmmm. And UPS fought for itself to get it's air ops under the RLA. They get refused, yet FedEx stays under the RLA. Both companies move their air in exactly the same manner. Fred writes bigger checks.

Ricochet1a

The SFA doesn't evaluate "economic fears" it evaluates the opinions and perceptions of the employee towards their immediate manager, their manager's manager, FedEx upper management and if the business is serving customer needs. NONE of the questions address anything like "economic fears".

The survey is used a tool for FedEx to evaluate employee opinion towards all levels of management, dissatisfaction levels with compensation levels and overall opinion of FedEx as a company (How do you feel about working for FedEx?).

The questions remain the same every year so that FedEx can develop a trend line of what is normal and what isn't. The SFA is a barometer of employee discontent with the company that the company uses to gauge the likeliehood of unionization efforts or sentiment. The questions relating to the employees immediate manager are used to compare the line managers and identify managers which are causing problems with employees. FedEx will can managers that have extremely poor scores from their employees. The ops managers know that in the greater scheme of things, they exist to both implement FedEx work practices while attempting to keep employee discontent at a minimum. I learned very quickly I wanted nothing to do with this so I stayed as a wage employee.

By very definition, one cannot have a sampling tool that remains consistent year over year AND have constantly rising satisfaction with the company (higher scores) - statistically impossible over time. The statements that predictably come out each year of "We've scored higher this year" are Kool-Aid to the gullible intended to make them think that everyone around them is just fine with the way things are going. Most people don't want to make waves, so hearing the company state that everyone is pleased tends to make the more gullible think that any issues they have are isolated and they'd best keep their mouth shut - which is precisely what FedEx wants.

Whenever FedEx makes the mistake of having "open" meetings where employees are encourage to speak out, the meetings invariably tend to go poorly for FedEx. Some employees will speak out about an issue, management will pull out the corporate canned response to that question, other employees will recognize that they are getting a snow job/their intelligence insulted, then they'll speak out and the whole meeting starts to turn ugly. Then the meeting is abruptly ended with management realizing they have a problem and need to do something. A few positive OLCCs are handed out, the Ops managers tend to say please a lot more often and they cross their fingers in the hopes that tempers cool. There aren't many open meetings now unless management is absolutely confident everyone has drank plenty of Kool-Aid.

Any employee that has more than 3 years with Express knows the Feedback and Action part of the SFA are bad jokes. Most locations now aren't even really attempting to have feedback meetings, they just have one-on-one meetings between manager and employee. With compensation levels having been essentially frozen and pensions gutted, there isn't much to talk about. They tried the line of "We're here to provide the Purple Promise", but when promises to the employees have been broken, even the dim-wits have realized that FedEx isn't keeping its side of the employment promise. The Purple Promise is between FedEx and its customers; it ISN'T between FedEx and its employees. Years ago the employees came first, now we come last.

The situation at Express is quite simple now.

The topped out wage employees aren't going anywhere (they would've years ago if they had viable options), so they keep doing the job praying that things don't get any worse - which doesn't seem to work.

The mid-range employee recognize that they have no viable career at Express, so they are looking the best they can at getting out. Even in this economy, MANY mid-range employees have left, cutting their losses.

The employees at the lower end of the wage scale know that they aren't going anywhere (career wise), so they are merely working to have income and think of their employment in terms of being "temporary" (like I do) . They are looking for other things and many are leaving even in this economy.

Since there are no real payraises or pay progression, the stick and carrot of the annual performance review has been invalidated. Employees don't care. They aren't going to receive any pay progression, so as long as they don't get a warning letter, nothing matters now.

What many employees are beginning to realize, is that the gap in compensation levels between the Ground "helpers" and Express Couriers is narrowing each year. The topped out employees hope (they are a hopeful bunch) that they can retire before things get to the point where Express is compensating at the same levels as Ground. The lower end knows there is no hope, so we all have our exit plan made up. The mid-range employees are the wild card. They are the ones that are doing the most agitation for unionization. They've worked the years side-by-side with the topped out employees, realizing that they aren't making any headway towards reaching that status themselves.

Fred knows damn good and well if he loses his RLA status, he'll have to massively reorganize Express quickly (his exit plan) to prevent his having to pay middle class wages to his work force. That exit plan is already being worked up by Express should its status be changed to NLRA from RLA. Either way, the wage employees are screwed. The only option the wage employees have is to have Express reclassified under NLRA rules, organize quickly and strike. There is no hope of having a collective bargaining agreement absent a strike at this point and most realize it.

bbsam

Staff member
"reclassified under NLRA rules, organize quickly and strike." If that were a bet, I would call a bookie and put $200 on it. Then I would put $1000 on the Cubs winning it all this year.:peaceful:

vantexan

Since there are no real payraises or pay progression, the stick and carrot of the annual performance review has been invalidated. Employees don't care. They aren't going to receive any pay progression, so as long as they don't get a warning letter, nothing matters now.

On what are you basing this statement? Anything official stating the raise system installed about 6 or 7 years ago has ended? I realize we didn't get a raise last year and a partial one this year, but do you have proof they aren't going back to that raise system? If not how are we to be compensated in the future, assuming we're not under the NLRA? COLA based on inflation?

Ricochet1a

"reclassified under NLRA rules, organize quickly and strike." If that were a bet, I would call a bookie and put $200 on it. Then I would put $1000 on the Cubs winning it all this year.:peaceful:

You conviently edited out the text before and after your snippet.

""The only option the wage employees have is to have Express reclassified under NLRA rules, organize quickly and strike. There is no hope of having a collective bargaining agreement absent a strike at this point and most realize it."

The only option... as in, any other options are non-viable. I didn't say it was likely to happen, but it is the only option wage employees have if they want to stop what is happening. Don't confuse something that is the sole viable option with something that is likely to occur or be utilized necesarily. History is legion with examples of groups only viable alternatives not being pursued because the options were seen as too difficult or unlikely to succeed. It took/takes leadership in this cases to make things happen.

This battle with FedEx - it is a battle - isn't going to be won by the timid. Battles like this are never won by the timid and those that constantly think it can't be done. Fred WANTS the employees of Express to think it can't be done, that prevents him from having to fight a long battle. If the employees want it bad enough, they'll learn that they'll have to be willing to take a risk and experience some short-term loss in order to make it happen. It may only have a 20% chance of happening in the next 24 months, but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

Ricochet1a

On what are you basing this statement? Anything official stating the raise system installed about 6 or 7 years ago has ended? I realize we didn't get a raise last year and a partial one this year, but do you have proof they aren't going back to that raise system? If not how are we to be compensated in the future, assuming we're not under the NLRA? COLA based on inflation?

I can just as easily come back and ask: Did FedEx state that the previous performance review based pay increase schedule will be utilized next March? The short answer is that even FedEx doesn't know what it will do for next year. The indications are that Express is looking at how high fuel prices will jump this summer, how much volume will return, how much the employees are ticked off and most importantly, is there going to be a change in Express' RLA exemption? What I do know is that FedEx knows it got away with only giving out a 2.2% pay increase in the past two years and this was AFTER having the traditional pension plan gutted a year prior to that. FedEx management is feeling pretty confident right now.

Given the nature of this forum, I can't give "proof", hell none of us can give proof and still have jobs afterward (or those that give us information have their jobs afterward).

You ask how are we to be compensated (wage increases) in the future? How has your wage progression been determined for the past two years? By what FedEx thought it could get away with - which they have indeed done, although at the price of ticking off many employees.

I'll say this, if you're counting on getting anything above a 4% increase next year (even with a 7.0), you will be in for bad shock. The wildcard is the FAA legislation. If somehow Express does get reclassified, then you'll probably see a 10-15% wage increase, not due to the legislation, but due to Fred's desire to buy time for him to reorganize Express on his terms and keep service moving in the short term.

The clock is ticking, for the employees of Express. The Democrats are going to take large losses this election cycle and the Senate will pass their own version of the FAA legislation. If the legislation moves to conference after the election in January, FORGET about Express' RLA classification being pulled and Fred will have won. There are but a few short months left to win this battle. Once the campaign season gets off to full swing, nothing of consequence will move. Look at my past posts regarding how the health legislation crowded out everything else (going back to September). I do know what I'm writing about.

vantexan

I can just as easily come back and ask: Did FedEx state that the previous performance review based pay increase schedule will be utilized next March? The short answer is that even FedEx doesn't know what it will do for next year. The indications are that Express is looking at how high fuel prices will jump this summer, how much volume will return, how much the employees are ticked off and most importantly, is there going to be a change in Express' RLA exemption? What I do know is that FedEx knows it got away with only giving out a 2.2% pay increase in the past two years and this was AFTER having the traditional pension plan gutted a year prior to that. FedEx management is feeling pretty confident right now.

Given the nature of this forum, I can't give "proof", hell none of us can give proof and still have jobs afterward (or those that give us information have their jobs afterward).

You ask how are we to be compensated (wage increases) in the future? How has your wage progression been determined for the past two years? By what FedEx thought it could get away with - which they have indeed done, although at the price of ticking off many employees.

I'll say this, if you're counting on getting anything above a 4% increase next year (even with a 7.0), you will be in for bad shock. The wildcard is the FAA legislation. If somehow Express does get reclassified, then you'll probably see a 10-15% wage increase, not due to the legislation, but due to Fred's desire to buy time for him to reorganize Express on his terms and keep service moving in the short term.

The clock is ticking, for the employees of Express. The Democrats are going to take large losses this election cycle and the Senate will pass their own version of the FAA legislation. If the legislation moves to conference after the election in January, FORGET about Express' RLA classification being pulled and Fred will have won. There are but a few short months left to win this battle. Once the campaign season gets off to full swing, nothing of consequence will move. Look at my past posts regarding how the health legislation crowded out everything else (going back to September). I do know what I'm writing about.

No, you are misunderstanding me. I'm not challenging you, I'm just asking what have you heard? You stated that as if you've heard something concrete, and that's just what I need to read before going out to enjoy my day off, LOL.

They put a 3 month hold on the Senate vote, not certain when that expires, late May? Then we have to hope the reconciled bill includes the language. If not, the Dems betrayed us. Question is how long will that process take? You are right, if not voted on and signed into law before Republicans are seated next January we can kiss the union, or even a 10-15% raise goodbye.

bbsam

Staff member
You conviently edited out the text before and after your snippet.

""The only option the wage employees have is to have Express reclassified under NLRA rules, organize quickly and strike. There is no hope of having a collective bargaining agreement absent a strike at this point and most realize it."

The only option... as in, any other options are non-viable. I didn't say it was likely to happen, but it is the only option wage employees have if they want to stop what is happening. Don't confuse something that is the sole viable option with something that is likely to occur or be utilized necesarily. History is legion with examples of groups only viable alternatives not being pursued because the options were seen as too difficult or unlikely to succeed. It took/takes leadership in this cases to make things happen.

This battle with FedEx - it is a battle - isn't going to be won by the timid. Battles like this are never won by the timid and those that constantly think it can't be done. Fred WANTS the employees of Express to think it can't be done, that prevents him from having to fight a long battle. If the employees want it bad enough, they'll learn that they'll have to be willing to take a risk and experience some short-term loss in order to make it happen. It may only have a 20% chance of happening in the next 24 months, but that doesn't mean it can't happen.
I have always agreed with this. It is what I mean when I say that this will not be a "bloodless war". It will get nasty and people will be wrongly fired on trumped up charges. That being known and the trepidation of many to be on the firing lines, so to speak, suggest that my choice of editing is not all that selective after all. You are right, anything is possible and probability numbers at this stage are purely speculation. What is not speculation is that Smith will not be timid.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I have always agreed with this. It is what I mean when I say that this will not be a "bloodless war". It will get nasty and people will be wrongly fired on trumped up charges. That being known and the trepidation of many to be on the firing lines, so to speak, suggest that my choice of editing is not all that selective after all. You are right, anything is possible and probability numbers at this stage are purely speculation. What is not speculation is that Smith will not be timid.

Smith isn't timid about being a bully. He's like the big kid in 6th grade who was 6 feet tall and weighed 180 pounds and pushed everyone around because he could. It was real satisfying to see that same kid again at 16, when you were suddenly bigger than he was and you kicked his ass. Fred is a bully because he has big money, and he's been crying like a little Momma's boy about the other kids who are starting to push back. If he loses and we stick together, we'll pound him into the dirt like a tent stake. This requires a lot of you who believe in the mythical Purple Promise or PSP or any of the other lies this company spreads every single day to start using your brain cells for once. We can defeat the bully, but it isn't going to be pretty, easy, or short. He's got lots of bully friends who'll try and help him out, and they deserve a pounding too

Washu234

“The Purple Promise applies to customers. I will make every FedEx customer experience outstanding. Unfortunately it’s not within my power to make every life experience for YOU outstanding.” - Fred S

This is when I stopped believing. I believe in the company, but the company doesn't believe in me. :'(

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
"I will make every FedEx customer experience outstanding."

He's not even doing that.

Not possible when it's all a numbers game and employess are pushed to the max and still being told they need to be more efficient. Routes are eliminated, stations are understaffed and wages are not competitive resulting in higher turnover these days.

Smith serves Kool-Aid to the public as well.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
"I will make every FedEx customer experience outstanding."

He's not even doing that.

Not possible when it's all a numbers game and employess are pushed to the max and still being told they need to be more efficient. Routes are eliminated, stations are understaffed and wages are not competitive resulting in higher turnover these days.

Smith serves Kool-Aid to the public as well.

Great observation. The customers get what Fred is willing to pay for, and these days, that's not very much. Federal Express made it's reputation on always going above and beyond for the customer. FedEx, on the other hand, attempts to make the customer believe they are receiving outstanding service when they are not. As Smith steadily de-contents the quality of the workforce the sterling FedEx reputation will become completely worthless. Dispatchers, managers, CSA's and everyone else who deals with customer complaints have all become expert at diverting customers with excuses and outright lies. Oh, and don't forget the outsourced call centers where the agents don't even understand how packages move through the FedEx system. A truly brilliant move from a "quality" company.

The smoke and mirror machine is starting to become overworked and most customers are smart enough to figure it out after a couple of bad experiences. Smith serves Kool-Aid to everyone.

SmithBarney

SFA numbers? not sure if they fake em but I'd be willing to bet they aren't completely anonymous.
Considering they schedule 1-2 people a day to take it, I believe that SFA scores can be accessed throughout the process.
So if courier A,B take the SFA on monday, MGR reads score on tuesday, then courier C,D take it, then the manager reads score after.
Of course this is just my guess... otherwise wouldn't they just say everyone come in early and take it(if you have enough computers, etc)

Anyway, we haven't seen any results yet.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Great observation. The customers get what Fred is willing to pay for, and these days, that's not very much. Federal Express made it's reputation on always going above and beyond for the customer. FedEx, on the other hand, attempts to make the customer believe they are receiving outstanding service when they are not. As Smith steadily de-contents the quality of the workforce the sterling FedEx reputation will become completely worthless. Dispatchers, managers, CSA's and everyone else who deals with customer complaints have all become expert at diverting customers with excuses and outright lies. Oh, and don't forget the outsourced call centers where the agents don't even understand how packages move through the FedEx system. A truly brilliant move from a "quality" company.

The smoke and mirror machine is starting to become overworked and most customers are smart enough to figure it out after a couple of bad experiences. Smith serves Kool-Aid to everyone.

Right on target!

Well said.

quadro

SFA numbers? not sure if they fake em but I'd be willing to bet they aren't completely anonymous.
Considering they schedule 1-2 people a day to take it, I believe that SFA scores can be accessed throughout the process.
So if courier A,B take the SFA on monday, MGR reads score on tuesday, then courier C,D take it, then the manager reads score after.
Of course this is just my guess... otherwise wouldn't they just say everyone come in early and take it(if you have enough computers, etc)

Anyway, we haven't seen any results yet.
The managers don't see the scores until everyone has taken it. Whether or not it's anonymous at a corporate level, it certainly is anonymous at the station level.