Fake SFA Numbers

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The managers don't see the scores until everyone has taken it. Whether or not it's anonymous at a corporate level, it certainly is anonymous at the station level.

As Fredly mentioned, it isn't hard for managers to devise a simple system for being able to see who rated you. Even if they didn't see the numbers, "scheduling" you to take the SFA is an intimidation tactic. As Ricochet1a has pointed-out, it's very unlikely from a statistical angle to see how Fedex continually "improves" on the overall corporate score. This is a real tip-off to the fact that they are lying on the numbers. The other reason, as I have talked-about, is that FedEx needs to appear that it's a "victim" of a UPS/Teamster plot. A poor helpless corporation chock-full of adoring employees who live the Purple Promise with every breath they take. Then along come the evil Brown/IBT duo, trying to ruin this worker paradise. Yeah, right.

quadro

As Fredly mentioned, it isn't hard for managers to devise a simple system for being able to see who rated you. Even if they didn't see the numbers, "scheduling" you to take the SFA is an intimidation tactic. As Ricochet1a has pointed-out, it's very unlikely from a statistical angle to see how Fedex continually "improves" on the overall corporate score. This is a real tip-off to the fact that they are lying on the numbers. The other reason, as I have talked-about, is that FedEx needs to appear that it's a "victim" of a UPS/Teamster plot. A poor helpless corporation chock-full of adoring employees who live the Purple Promise with every breath they take. Then along come the evil Brown/IBT duo, trying to ruin this worker paradise. Yeah, right.
It's impossible for managers, at least at a local level, to devise any system to see how individual employees rated them. Managers don't have access to scores until the SFA system closes so they have no way of knowing how an individual scored them.

As far as scheduling being an intimidation tactic, what's the alternative, not scheduling? Then people complain that their manager is trying to get them to do something either off the clock or outside of their scheduled hours. If you don't like being scheduled some time to take the survey, then just do what I do. Tell your manager that you'll take it one day during the week after you get off the road when it's convenient for me. Not that there's any difference doing it one way or the other.

FedEx courier

It's impossible for managers, at least at a local level, to devise any system to see how individual employees rated them. Managers don't have access to scores until the SFA system closes so they have no way of knowing how an individual scored them.

As far as scheduling being an intimidation tactic, what's the alternative, not scheduling? Then people complain that their manager is trying to get them to do something either off the clock or outside of their scheduled hours. If you don't like being scheduled some time to take the survey, then just do what I do. Tell your manager that you'll take it one day during the week after you get off the road when it's convenient for me. Not that there's any difference doing it one way or the other.

Is there anything published that you can point to that proves it is completely anonymous? If it was completely anonymous it seems like an outside firm, separate from FedEx would handle the survey. Also it is supposed to be voluntary so why would someone schedule you to take it anyway. You should have the option of taking it after or before work and on the clock anyway. If it is voluntary you shouldn't be forced to take it by anyone. That is the strange business about this "anonymous/voluntary" survey.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

At my location, we can take it whenever we want. There is no need to ever schedule the SFA because anyone can manage to sit down at a computer and do it sometime during the survey period. You don't think scheduling people is creating anxiety for the person taking it, knowing that their manager knows exactly when they did the SFA? There is no accountability for either the accuracy or anonymity of the SFA. As FedExCourier said, if they want it to actually mean something, it needs to be administered and scored by an independent 3rd party. There is little doubt that FedEx cooked the numbers this year because they have an urgent need to do so. Do you really believe that the results are "up" again after all the happy crap they've been pulling. Get real.

Ricochet1a

Is there anything published that you can point to that proves it is completely anonymous? If it was completely anonymous it seems like an outside firm, separate from FedEx would handle the survey. Also it is supposed to be voluntary so why would someone schedule you to take it anyway. You should have the option of taking it after or before work and on the clock anyway. If it is voluntary you shouldn't be forced to take it by anyone. That is the strange business about this "anonymous/voluntary" survey.

As with all things done by computer, there is always an electronic trail that allows someone with access to the program which collects and compiles the results of the "survey" to track individual responses. However, given the extremely outdated format of the IMS software, there may very well be no capability to track to the individual respondent. I always treat everything I do on FedEx equipment as being recordable to me individually. If you have to perform a "log in function" to get access to a particular computer terminal or piece of equipment, there is a way to track what you do as an individual, down to the keystroke.

If FedEx was interested in having a true survey, then they'd go to the expense of having an outside auditing firm perform the "assessment". It would have to be done with "scantron" type fill in the bubble responses, with the respondent ONLY placing their operating location and manager # on the sheet - NO names or any other personally identifiable data like Emp #. The sheets would be scanned and the results compiled by the auditing firm - NOT FedEx - then the results released to both FedEx and the public at large simultaneously. The sheets would be destroyed after a given amount of time and under no circumstances could an employee of FedEx have any access to them for any reason.

The survey isn't intended for public consumption, it is intended to allow FedEx upper management to assess the mood of employees down to the workgroup level of analysis. They want to know if there are problems with local management and how the employees feel about their level of compensation. These two indicators have the highest correlation with desire to unionize. The other questions are really fluff that give an idea as to job satisfaction regarding how an employee feels about what they do day to day. But even here, these questions tie into quantifying the employees mood regarding overall job satisfaction. Low job satisfaction, stagnant or eroding levels of compensation and troublesome management are prime indicators for potential unionization.

It is statistically impossible for the behavior being analyzed/recorded in a survey to demonstrate greater and greater satisfaction - with the issues being surveyed - with each application of the survey over many successive applications. From a given year to year it is definately possible, even over the course of a few successive years. However over a period of multiple years there will be natural variations about a central mean - with the big assumption that work conditions and compensation levels aren't measurably changed with each application, which hasn't occurred. FedEx's application of the survey in April of each year indicates that they know that to maintain some validity in measuring what the survey is intended - that it must be administered annually at the same time to eliminate any possibility of variations occurring do to seasonal variations in respondent mood.

FedEx, by even making the statement of "We've scored higher yet again", blows their credibility with anyone trained in statistics. If they were smart, they'd make a statement such as; "We've maintained high levels of employee satisfaction yet again". This can't be argued with , since FedEx could use their own definition of "high levels of employee satisfaction". They could define high level of employee satisfaction as having an annual employee turnover rate less than a fixed percentage. They could define it anyway they pleased and they could keep a straight face in making their assertion. They could even define it as not having more than a couple of managers shot at by their employees over the course of the year. "We only had one manager shot at this year, so we can confidently state that: We've maintained high levels of employee satisfaction". It is all in the definitions that the survey uses - but the results for the company CANNOT constantly increase each year over a long period of time while employee compensation and working conditions have deteriorated.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I always thought that our ERI, which is the equivalent of your SFA, was anonymous but found out it wasn't when my BA complimented me on what I had written in the "comments" section. I asked him how he knew it was me and he said he could tell by my writing style.

quadro

I'm not aware of anything published other than what FedEx publishes.

The scheduling occurs in part because some cry-babies (California?) said something to the effect of "my manager made me start 10 minutes earlier than my schedule so now I'm suing". The result is that everything should be scheduled. While that isn't always possible, something routine like training or taking the SFA can be scheduled into someone's day.

You have the option of taking it before, after, or during work and it must be on the clock. The problem is that you are not supposed to just come in and start earlier than your scheduled start time. Obviously this does happen and people do come in early but in theory it's not supposed to happen because of the previous lawsuits. One of those "be careful what you ask for" situations.

It is voluntary and even if your manager schedules you some time to take it, you can refuse to do so.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I'm not aware of anything published other than what FedEx publishes.

The scheduling occurs in part because some cry-babies (California?) said something to the effect of "my manager made me start 10 minutes earlier than my schedule so now I'm suing". The result is that everything should be scheduled. While that isn't always possible, something routine like training or taking the SFA can be scheduled into someone's day.

You have the option of taking it before, after, or during work and it must be on the clock. The problem is that you are not supposed to just come in and start earlier than your scheduled start time. Obviously this does happen and people do come in early but in theory it's not supposed to happen because of the previous lawsuits. One of those "be careful what you ask for" situations.

It is voluntary and even if your manager schedules you some time to take it, you can refuse to do so.

It's not really voluntary because they track managers to verify that all of their employees have taken the SFA. You can refuse to take it, but you'll be pressured to comply because they look bad when you refuse. I no longer take it, and always receive a lecture and guilt trip.

quadro

It's not really voluntary because they track managers to verify that all of their employees have taken the SFA. You can refuse to take it, but you'll be pressured to comply because they look bad when you refuse. I no longer take it, and always receive a lecture and guilt trip.
Well, by your own admission it is voluntary. Also, perhaps that's why the scores went up. If employees who agree with your sentiments about FedEx also refused to take the SFA, wouldn't that leave more of those that are happy with their job to inflate the score? So rather than "cooking the books" so to speak, the numbers are factual but perhaps not totally representative.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Well, by your own admission it is voluntary. Also, perhaps that's why the scores went up. If employees who agree with your sentiments about FedEx also refused to take the SFA, wouldn't that leave more of those that are happy with their job to inflate the score? So rather than "cooking the books" so to speak, the numbers are factual but perhaps not totally representative.

You're right that a lot of people refuse to take it. I'm still convinced they faked the numbers, mainly because it is in the corporation's best interest to pretend that the majority of employees hate unions and don't want a change in the RLA status. Frankly, I don't trust anything from this company any more. I can hardly wait to see how they're going to pitch a fit over the new change to the RLA that's coming down. Fred is not a happy boy today. I hope he chokes on it.