Falsified weights - on topic

ThatOnePreloader

Unprofessional Professional
Started loading new routes today and one of them is a really an industrial type of route with plenty of heavy packages. I’m not really concerned with that, but there’s one company in particular that ships packages listed anywhere from 1-3lbs when they’re really 50-80lbs. The problem comes when they don’t actually get sent to the ireg guy in our building because sorters see the weight and send it down the belt. I see the weight, lift as if it was a 1lb package and immediately pull my back. This has happened around 2-3 times this week and even though pain isn’t really prolonged or severe, I feel like the more this happens, the larger the long term consequence will be. Is there any way to get these shippers to stop stealing service and risking loaders’ backs nationwide? Lmao

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
An answer to this one would be appreciated by me, as well.

Have a fairly frequent dump stop that is full of suspiciously heavy "1kg" boxes. Luckily, mine are probably only about 30 - 40 pounds, but it's probably at least a dozen packages once a week, every week to that stop. Enough of a pain that I really hope they're paying good money for it.

I've learned not to treat small, or light labeled boxes any differently than heavy ones. The first dozen or so times trying to grab boxes of bolts off the belt with one hand will do that to ya. ;)

Don't hurt yourself, brother! Work as directed, but more importantly, work safe.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I would give drivers special stickers they could put on wrong weight parcels. These would be sorted to a weight station for audit. We could recover some nice change.

ThatOnePreloader

An answer to this one would be appreciated by me, as well.

Have a fairly frequent dump stop that is full of suspiciously heavy "1kg" boxes. Luckily, mine are probably only about 30 - 40 pounds, but it's probably at least a dozen packages once a week, every week to that stop. Enough of a pain that I really hope they're paying good money for it.

I've learned not to treat small, or light labeled boxes any differently than heavy ones. The first dozen or so times trying to grab boxes of bolts off the belt with one hand will do that to ya. ;)

Don't hurt yourself, brother! Work as directed, but more importantly, work safe.

The longer I load this route the more I’m starting to care more for my safety. I’m only 20 so it seems like not a big deal but I don’t want any long term problems. I’ve just never seen this many mis-weighted packages and I’ve been loading for a solid 2 years. I hope they get audited soon because it’s ridiculous.

ThatOnePreloader

I would give drivers special stickers they could put on wrong weight parcels. These would be sorted to a weight station for audit. We could recover some nice change.
I agree, people pay plenty on this same route to ship their correctly labeled heavy packages, and this shipper is getting away with paying very little on the daily.

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
The longer I load this route the more I’m starting to care more for my safety. I’m only 20 so it seems like not a big deal but I don’t want any long term problems. I’ve just never seen this many mis-weighted packages and I’ve been loading for a solid 2 years. I hope they get audited soon because it’s ridiculous.
It’s never too early to start thinking about your long-term health. Be careful, and don’t be afraid to ask for assistance.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
We have a dump stop that labels several boxes as "20 lbs". Most are underweight, some are easily 60 lbs. But we don't really get bothered too much since 20 lbs is actually pretty dang close to average.
(We're talking movies, candies and commodity preserved crop exports)

ThatOnePreloader

We have a dump stop that labels several boxes as "20 lbs". Most are underweight, some are easily 60 lbs. But we don't really get bothered too much since 20 lbs is actually pretty dang close to average.
(We're talking movies, candies and commodity preserved crop exports)
I wish that was the case. I get heavy duty semi truck batteries from navistar.

specter208

I can usually tell when one of those little boxes is going to be heavy. They're usually covered in tons of tape and they packaging is swollen/out of shape.

8 keys to lifting and lowering:

1) get close to object
2) feet shoulder width apart
3)bend at the knees, maintain natural curve of the back
4) Test object for shifting of weight and contents
5) firmly grab opposite corners
6)lift with smooth steady motion
7) step or pivot, don't twist
8) use existing facility equipment
(Hand trucks, forklifts, pallet jacks, etc.)

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I can usually tell when one of those little boxes is going to be heavy. They're usually covered in tons of tape and they packaging is swollen/out of shape.

8 keys to lifting and lowering:

1) get close to object
2) feet shoulder width apart
3)bend at the knees, maintain natural curve of the back
4) Test object for shifting of weight and contents
5) firmly grab opposite corners
6)lift with smooth steady motion
7) step or pivot, don't twist
8) use existing facility equipment
(Hand trucks, forklifts, pallet jacks, etc.)
We have a winner

While every package being labeled correctly would be ideal. This is exactly why you follow the methods

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Started loading new routes today and one of them is a really an industrial type of route with plenty of heavy packages. I’m not really concerned with that, but there’s one company in particular that ships packages listed anywhere from 1-3lbs when they’re really 50-80lbs. The problem comes when they don’t actually get sent to the ireg guy in our building because sorters see the weight and send it down the belt. I see the weight, lift as if it was a 1lb package and immediately pull my back. This has happened around 2-3 times this week and even though pain isn’t really prolonged or severe, I feel like the more this happens, the larger the long term consequence will be. Is there any way to get these shippers to stop stealing service and risking loaders’ backs nationwide? Lmao

Your manager should tell the originating center to put a weight auditor on that company’s shipments.

rocket man

I had a stop on my other route 30 to 50boxes a day. About 20 a day would be close to 70 or over then one day I know this they started using the same account number on 10 boxes to 12 boxes a day. All the ones with the same acount number or just Return to Sender

TheBrownNote

Good thing I wore my brown pants
Greetings.

How this issue had been explained to me.

Let's say a shipper is sending out multiple label shipments (1 of... Etc.)
Location has 10 packages of let's say nuts and bolts. Now, the shipper KNOWS it's a total of 500lbs. For ease of shipper, UPS allows the total weight (in this case 500lbs) to be spread evenly through out the ten packages ( 1 of 10,etc.etc.etc.), so said shipper doesn't have to take the time to actually weigh each box. Now shipper dude is just gonna stuff boxes with nuts and bolts. Eventually the last two boxes don't have as much to go in so let's say they're only 20lbs a piece, yet the label says 50lbs. This is why. The shipper is still paying for the total weight, yet now they don't have to go through the full steps of completing, in this case, 10 individual labels for this bulk stop.

I hope this makes sense as like everyone on the internet, I refuse to proofread.....

Edit: I proofread.

WTFm8

I see it a lot at my building

... yet as a small business owner I've been back-charged for weight being off 1-2 pounds or dimensions being off actual by 1-2"... sometimes with an additional fee.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Your manager should tell the originating center to put a weight auditor on that company’s shipments.
That would be a 'weigh & scan in motion' machine these days and 'Closed Loop Billing' will send the shipper a bill noting the difference in PLD versus Actual.
Billing has standard queries to produce a report.

IESucks

Yes there is! Stop and report each strain and why! Everytime