Family Emergency...

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
On Christmas day my mother had a serious fall down a flight of stairs and has some serious injuries and was sent to the hospital. I was at the hospital all christmas day trying to get a hold of one of my sups to let them know i wasnt coming in Thursday. I didnt get one response. so Thursday morning i suited up, reported to my center, explained the situation and was sent home to be with my mother. They asked me if i would be working friday and i said i couldnt make it. They didnt seem to thrilled about it. I'm kinda stressed that I may be in some sort of trouble come Monday. Should i come in with some sort of proof that i was actually at the hospital? It does sound fishy to call off both days after christmas, but my mom has a freakin broken neck for sake.

PT Car Washer

Life happens. As long as what you are telling management is the truth, not much they can do. I an sure they maybe upset, they have a lot of things to be upset about. They should expect the unexpected. Take care of mom.

Floridacargocat

2010. End November. I knew, that my mother would be going home, and informed my superiors accordingly. December 10, I got the news that she went home. 7 days later I was at her funeral (overseas), no questions asked. Could not make it for Monday start-updue to unfortunate technical plane deficiencies. No questions asked by my preload manager. We survived. Yes, there are managers, who have a heart.

On Christmas day my mother had a serious fall down a flight of stairs and has some serious injuries and was sent to the hospital. I was at the hospital all christmas day trying to get a hold of one of my sups to let them know i wasnt coming in Thursday. I didnt get one response. so Thursday morning i suited up, reported to my center, explained the situation and was sent home to be with my mother. They asked me if i would be working friday and i said i couldnt make it. They didnt seem to thrilled about it. I'm kinda stressed that I may be in some sort of trouble come Monday. Should i come in with some sort of proof that i was actually at the hospital? It does sound fishy to call off both days after christmas, but my mom has a freakin broken neck for sake.
Take care of mom. Life it to short and family should be taken care of. You can't get in trouble for missing two days no matter what days they happen to be. If you have an attendance issue clean it up but take care of your family. Any ba or steward can smooth it over for you.

I hope she feels better real soon from the bottom of my heart.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
At a PCM a management person informed us that another management person "Picked the wrong time to have a child" during an undisclosed peak year. I keep things like that locked up for threads like this.

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
Take care of mom. Life it to short and family should be taken care of. You can't get in trouble for missing two days no matter what days they happen to be. If you have an attendance issue clean it up but take care of your family. Any ba or steward can smooth it over for you.

I hope she feels better real soon from the bottom of my heart.
Hey thanks for the kind words. It really means a lot. I have perfect attendence other than the two days mentioned. I feel confident coming Monday now. Thanks again

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I will keep you and your mother in my prayers. I have found that at UPS if you are a decent person mgt. respects that and will try to work with you.

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
Why are you nervous? Do you have other issues on the job that put you on their radar? If not, forget about it. Simply call in and say you're calling in. Don't explain, don't make excuses. When you return, don't worry. If it makes you feel better, have the hospital write up something and hand it to your on road, say good morning, and get to work. Family comes first, ALWAYS.

Just Lurking

Why are you nervous? Do you have other issues on the job that put you on their radar? If not, forget about it. Simply call in and say you're calling in. Don't explain, don't make excuses. When you return, don't worry. If it makes you feel better, have the hospital write up something and hand it to your on road, say good morning, and get to work. Family comes first, ALWAYS.

No supervisor should not take or want any kind of medical excuse. HIPPA covers the information especially if it for a third party. For FMLA you only deal with HR. In emergency situations you will most likely have already missed the time before approval or disapproval.
I can tell you from the birth of a child, 18 months of cancer treatment and death of spouse. NO asked or questioned any hours or days I took off. Just like anything at UPS - be honest.