FedEx driver accused of abduction murder of 7 year old girl

It will be fine

Let me try one more time. I NEVER said that new legislation may serve to totally eliminate the use of independent contractors . What I did say was that it might limit when and where they can be used. We'll see what happens there.

Now here is the flash point. FDX continues to set and enforce the standards of conduct and behavior of another company's employees. And to this point it's getting away with it. It demands full contractor employee subjugation to the same conduct and behavior rules that it requires of it's own corporate employees.

Some contractors provide their employees with an employee handbook spelling out the contractors terms of employment including it's rules and disciplines. The truth of the matter is that it's not the contractor's rules.....It's FDX rules in a handbook printed at the expense of....guess who?.....The contractor.

As for the place and standing of the individual contractor.....I told the new director of contractor relations right to his face.
" Migrant farm workers have better protection under the law than FXG contractors" . His response? he stood there in silence and after awhile he finally said....."I cannot argue that point". He knew the contract offered the contractor no protection legal or otherwise. And he left the company not long afterward.

Now in regard to this murder case. New question the contractor is going to get sued and will be lucky if he isn't brought up on charges If the contractor was smart he would copy the New Mexico case . Immediately closeup shop dissolve the corporation and try to salvage as much cash as he can out of it. I know that FDX finally had to provide contractors with workman's comp coverage.
The question is....does it also provide general business liability coverage?

Perhaps Sam or IWBF can answer that question.
FedEx has never provided workman’s comp coverage to contractors.

It will be fine

Are you guys still using Marsh/Protective or some other rip off insurer? Or even worse get coverage through a state that provides it?
1. The only contractors that use protective are ones that can’t get coverage from anyone else due to not having enough experience.
2. Protective is not FedEx.

There is no workman’s comp coverage provided by FedEx. Never has been.

bbsam

Staff member
Are you guys still using Marsh/Protective or some other rip off insurer? Or even worse get coverage through a state that provides it?
Haven’t used Protective in years. It’s kind of annoying how many insurers contact us coming up on renewal time.

El Correcto

god is dead
You could add into the description that he sits down to pee. Just as much relevance.
Now that would be alarming, finding out FedEx some how knows how you prefer to piss.

Would be an outrage. But giving an honest description of someone’s employment with your company doesn’t seem egregious.

bacha29

1. The only contractors that use protective are ones that can’t get coverage from anyone else due to not having enough experience.
2. Protective is not FedEx.

There is no workman’s comp coverage provided by FedEx. Never has been.
There was talk that Protective who was the last and only insurer willing to write a group contract was pulling out leaving the possibility of FDX having to go into the insurance business if they wanted to keep Ground operating in the form it was in. It was discussed openly until apparently another avenue opened .

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Go back and read your post from yesterday . It's all right there.
My point is simple.

You came into this thread and politicized this girl's murder, suggesting that if not for Republicans, Democrats would use this tragedy to legislate against the independent contractor model.

It is so ridiculous, on so many levels, that you've spent the last 24 hours spinning and deflecting. Which is what you're doing right now.

bbsam

Staff member
Now that would be alarming, finding out FedEx some how knows how you prefer to piss.

Would be an outrage. But giving an honest description of someone’s employment with your company doesn’t seem egregious.
It seems disingenuously distancing. Even though he was an employee of a contractor, FedEx signed off on his employee status or he would not have been permitted to be one.

That is an “honest description of (his) employment”. Kinda comes full circle—if we wanna be honest that is.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
It seems disingenuously distancing. Even though he was an employee of a contractor, FedEx signed off on his employee status or he would not have been permitted to be one.

That is an “honest description of (his) employment”. Kinda comes full circle—if we wanna be honest that is.
Who signs his paycheck?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Might as well be you.
Nah, I wouldn't hire trash like that.

I mean, I'd let him break his body down for low pay and no benefits so that the Express bottom line is a little healthier and I continue to get paid, but hire him? No way, are you kidding? Let Billy Bob's Pakij Servus hire that kind of subhuman.

bacha29

My point is simple.

You came into this thread and politicized this girl's murder, suggesting that if not for Republicans, Democrats would use this tragedy to legislate against the independent contractor model.

It is so ridiculous, on so many levels, that you've spent the last 24 hours spinning and deflecting. Which is what you're doing right now.
I guess it will have to be me to be the last person who pays attention to what you have to say here. Again, you missed the point. What I pointed to was the prospect of not politically inspired but public safety inspired new restrictions on the use of independent contractors if history and the data were to support the conclusion that they represent an unacceptably greater threat to public safety.
From a corporate image standpoint, when you combine this incident with the Georgia chicken game in the same week along with the dumped boxes , the Spencer Patton dust up , unhappy major shareholders, contractors who just don't give a rodent's rectum anymore.....sooner or later.....something's got to give.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
You came into this thread and politicized this girl's murder
What I pointed to was the prospect of not politically inspired
Yes, you did politicize the murder.
Here:
Some type of legislation along those lines might be introduced in the Senate but even if it were to make it through the Senate the House will kill it in committee no matter how meritorious or how many lives it might save for no other reason that to score a political victory.

fedx

Extra Large Package

Some more good news for FedEx!

That's what happens when you have a business model to not pay anything but the bare minimum. FedEx decided to go with a contractor model that offers no benefits beyond the low pay. Maybe a few offer some kind of health insurance like Fine claims, but most don't. You get what you pay for when it comes to employees.