Fedex Express Hiring Process.

Mikeyd17

I worked for UPS but was recently let go. I put an Application in for FEDEX Express (Non-Dot) Handler 2 weeks ago. I received an E-mail Wednesday Evening (11/6/2013) to call the recruiter which is in a different state than me. I called Thursday (11/7/2013) she did the five minute interview and told me she would send my information to the hiring manager at the Fedex Express I applied at.

How does the process usually unfold?

I know with UPS it was fill out application which gave you an appointment than I had two interviews than I was Hired and it took about 3 1/2 weeks. I keep reading different stories about how the hiring process is handled at Fedex Express, some say it took 2-3 weeks other say 1-2 months. I have also read that they Interview in advance because such a high tirnover and that you may be interviewed and than put in a "New Hire Pool" and they go down the line and hire whoever is next.

All Help is Appreciated.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I worked for UPS but was recently let go. I put an Application in for FEDEX Express (Non-Dot) Handler 2 weeks ago. I received an E-mail Wednesday Evening (11/6/2013) to call the recruiter which is in a different state than me. I called Thursday (11/7/2013) she did the five minute interview and told me she would send my information to the hiring manager at the Fedex Express I applied at.

How does the process usually unfold?

I know with UPS it was fill out application which gave you an appointment than I had two interviews than I was Hired and it took about 3 1/2 weeks. I keep reading different stories about how the hiring process is handled at Fedex Express, some say it took 2-3 weeks other say 1-2 months. I have also read that they Interview in advance because such a high tirnover and that you may be interviewed and than put in a "New Hire Pool" and they go down the line and hire whoever is next.

All Help is Appreciated.

My advice? Find a job elsewhere. FedEx Express is a losing proposition. Look for something that pays halfway decent and has a future. Neither at Express.

whenIgetthere

I would follow the above advice, but if you don't, the hiring process can depend on how long your background check takes. Took two months for mine and the other half dozen or so employees who were hired together back in the 90's at my old station.

Mikeyd17

I was told to run from UPS as well. I believe every job has it's pros and cons you just have to make best of the situation. I just need something that works well with my schedule and FEDEX Express would be that. Thanks for the advice.

overflowed

I was told to run from UPS as well. I believe every job has it's pros and cons you just have to make best of the situation. I just need something that works well with my schedule and FEDEX Express would be that. Thanks for the advice.
If any of you info on your application is off it will take very long. Example if they can't verify an old employer they will not call you back just to get a good number till weeks later. Make sure all is current.

!Retired!

Not sure ow the hiring process is these days. But, being that its getting close to peak, it might go a little quicker. It would also depend why you were fired. I started as a Christmas temp a 'few' years back.

Nick9075

To those "advising" the OP to look for work elsewhere------where do you propose that he look?

There are tons of jobs in the trades. Apprentice electricians are making $25 and hour with no experience and even now there are tons of temp and Contract work. I don't know about upstate NY I know once you get north of I 84,things are not as strong as in the NYC metro but seriously there has to be alternative than FedEx express

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
To those "advising" the OP to look for work elsewhere------where do you propose that he look?
We've had more than a few people move on to greener pastures. There are decent jobs out there. Not many but with a bit of luck and searching they can be found.

!Retired!

There are tons of jobs in the trades. Apprentice electricians are making $25 and hour with no experience and even now there are tons of temp and Contract work. I don't know about upstate NY I know once you get north of I 84,things are not as strong as in the NYC metro but seriously there has to be alternative than FedEx express
I'm sorry. Where do you work and how much do you make? If it's that easy to find a better, well paying job, what are you doing making deliveries?

thedownhillEXPRESS

He's in NYC, you can make 20 bucks an hour at the corner CVS...
Nicks a good dude, he's just in a location where the Ground Scam doesn't work and he got trapped in the mess..

!Retired!

Nicks a good dude, he's just in a location where the Ground Scam doesn't work and he got trapped in the mess..
My point is.......If finding a job is so easy, people might be leaving FedEx in droves. If you were out of work with no benefits and FedEx was the only job you could get, you would JUMP at it.....no matter how bad people tell you it is.

bbsam

Staff member

Trapped? He bought in and won't tell anyone what factors he failed to take into consideration.

Hroller

I worked at UPS seasonal for a few seasons. FedEx offered me a permanent position as a courier. $15.54 to start. A few months later it jumped to around $15.88. I work 20-25 hours per week. Benefits cost me $405 a month. Full time was probably 2-3 years away....with that.....I 'd start at 8am work to noon...forced to take a 3 hour break....start p/u's at 3pm by the time I'm offloaded and off the clock it would be 8pm. It would take me 20 years to top out.

UPS called me back. Permanent part time job.....unloading trucks......$9 an hour 20 hours a week 5p-9pm. Driving seasonal for six months $18.50 an hour 45-50 hours per week. Full PAID benefits after 12 months. I can also pick up an extra job prior to my evening shift at UPS.....no DOT to worry about.

Full time driver job 2-3 years away at UPS. Top out after 4. Full pay $30+ an hour.

Do the math.

Both jobs suck, so I followed the money. I will be retired in 10 years anyway. I feel for the guys who drive for 30 years, especially at UPS. Their bodies are shot.

If a kid of mine ever wanted to make a career out of either of these companies....I'd kick their ass!